My 18+ Year Build Thread by Doc John
Started on: 01-05-2008 11:49 AM
Replies: 97 (17993 views)
Last post by: RCR on 12-24-2019 08:19 AM
328 mera

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 328 meraSend a Private Message to 328 meraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
by the way...

i've read about Corson targa conversion.in nineties

Is any targa kit still available now?

I've heard about B&B targa conversions.

Any rewiew about it?

thank U
IP: Logged
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought a 308 replica that had a targa top put into it just last year by Aldino down in the States. I think the guy said he paid about $5k for the targa installation. I bought the car already done but the targa itself looks OK. I need better reinforcing much like Doc John did on his though so make sure you do some good reinforcing before cutting anything on the roof panel.

Find Archie's Finale Convertible build thread for a good write up on how to reinforce before cutting.

Cheers
Don
328 mera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 328 meraSend a Private Message to 328 meraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanx
328 mera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 328 meraSend a Private Message to 328 meraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

328 mera

48 posts
Member since Oct 2009
so there are still targa conversion kits for sale,aren't there?
328 mera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 328 meraSend a Private Message to 328 meraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

328 mera

48 posts
Member since Oct 2009

Originally posted by Doc John:

Good point. I've driven the car with three distinctly different drivetrains: 2.8 + 4 speed n/a, 2.8 + 4 speed turbo, and LS2 + 6 speed. We all know how the stock 2.8 feels, ok off the line, fair midrange, and out of breath fairly early. It wanted to bog on my car, doubtlessly because of the large (265/50R15) rear tires. Lets all remember, however, that back in '85 and '86 the V6 Fiero was one of the fastest cars on the market - certainly in the top 10 of American cars. It's interesting to see how far the technology has come in the past 20 years - pretty much any new V6 car is faster than any stock Fiero and gets better mileage, too.

The turbo motor was interesting, once you got it to 2500+ RPM it really pulled nicely, esp in second and third gears. It still bogged a little due to the tire size. Putting the Darrell Morse TB and manifolds on it seemed to help the throttle response. I wish I had tried the Trueleo intake on the turbo motor - that might have woken it up even more.

The LS2/F40 6 speed is nothing short of astounding. I'm 46 and I guarantee that I would have killed myself within 6 months if I had a car like this when I was in my 20's. On those occasions when you're not pushing the car, it is incredibly smooth and tractable. No surprises, no headaches. When you punch it, however, it changes personality (think David Banner and the Hulk). It pulls like you wouldn't believe in second, third, and fourth gears. First gear is almost useless, when you're moving you only use it to get the thing rolling and then grab second. It even has some pull left in 5th and 6th.

I've driven real 308's and 328's, their power delivery is totally different. They (esp the pre-QV GTBi and GTSi) are actually pretty slow until you get above 5000 RPM. The LS2 has power to spare RIGHT NOW, it doesn't care if you are at 1800 RPM or 4800 RPM. It feels a lot like a 60's muscle car. Some people won't like that feeling for a Fiero, but for me, it's juuuuuust right.

wow! very interesting!
TommyT913

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great read. Great pics. Thanks.
ANTEC900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2010 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O.o just how much have you spent on the car in all?
Great thread
I want to do something like you did so bad but I think its out of my price range for a few years or more lol
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just documenting all this gives it a history. Nice work.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump cause this is a great thread..a great read...a great guy and a great car! This thread is Grrrrrrreeeaat!

HAGO!
IRMFieroKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2017 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IRMFieroKidSend a Private Message to IRMFieroKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DocJohn,

I am the eldest daughter of Jim Sutter. I only recently discovered this forum and so far I love that there are so many out there who truly love the Fiero all these years later.

Dad had a stroke in 1999, and he doesn't get out much anymore...so I can't wait to show / read him some of these threads.

I love how detailed your posts were, but I can't view any of the pictures and it would be great to share with dad.

Thanks,
Janet

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2017 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear Jim is still around! I've wondered from time to time.

I was one of the guys that came to Maryland to pick up all the molds from IRM. In fact, I'm the guy that had to learn how to use them, and am still doing that!

Other than to pop in and say "Hey", the purpose of this post is to ask, what happened to all the pictures in this thread?? 99% of them are gone, and have been replaced with a plackard for "XWINNER" whatever that is.

John has helped me with my 308 project, in fact I still have the tail pipes he provided. I think mine actually might take longer than his build...and he got to drive his a little in between "versions"!

Anyway, very glad to see you here Janet, "welcome to our obsession", as the saying goes, and the forum.

By the way, I am still pulling parts from the IRM molds and they adorn more than a few of the owners cars that are members here. I've made a few molds of my own, based on some of the things from IRM also.

Footnote that is not related to the topic, but is to the people involved....my wife's name is Janet also...and she had a hemorrhagic stroke in 2005 as a result of a burst aneurysm, and was left paralyzed on her entire right side. When we made the second trip to Rockville for the last load, your dad was experimenting with an electronic device to help him walk, I'm pretty sure you'll know what I'm referring to. Just curious how far he went with that, and if it ever came to market? I remember asking Jim about the circle he had tattooed on his arm (I think...coulda been the leg, but pretty sure I remember it being on his arm) and he told me when he went for "therapy", they had to attache electrode pads for electric stimulation sessions, and where they put them made a difference in how successful the treatments were. One time when just the "right" spot was found, he marked it, then had the tattoo done so they'd be able to repeat the "sweet spot" instantly in future sessions! Really hope he is doing well. You can tell him I smoked half of the very expensive cigar he gave me, then put it out, put it back in the wrapper, and I actually still have it in my garage as a memento of that trip and experience.

Hope you'll stick around and maybe share some of your other experiences while growing up with IRM, Fieros and Mr Sutter as your dad.

Either way, thanks for popping in and it's great reading about things from there and then.

HAGO!
PFF
System Bot
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2019 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IRMFieroKid:

DocJohn,

I am the eldest daughter of Jim Sutter. I only recently discovered this forum and so far I love that there are so many out there who truly love the Fiero all these years later.

Dad had a stroke in 1999, and he doesn't get out much anymore...so I can't wait to show / read him some of these threads.

I love how detailed your posts were, but I can't view any of the pictures and it would be great to share with dad.

Thanks,
Janet

Are you still around here IRMFieroKid? I don’t get on here as much as I used to, but I have some great 35 mm pix of your dad and his shop back in the glory days. Send me your email address and I’ll be happy to send you a TON of pictures 😊
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2019 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like all of the picture links have died. I still own the car. I MAY try to reconstitute this piece of Fiero History; I still have most of the 35MM photos and can easily take pix of them with my iphone 11. Does PIP work with iOS based phones, or only with PC based systems? 🤔
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2019 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It looks like all of the picture links have died. I still own the car. I MAY try to reconstitute this piece of Fiero History; I still have most of the 35MM photos and can easily take pix of them with my iphone 11. Does PIP work with iOS based phones, or only with PC based systems? 🤔

PC only

------------------
Thank You
Thomas
1987 Fiero GT T-Top 1988 Fiero Formula

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2019 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know that would be an enormous undertaking, but it would be much appreciated!
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2019 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And the Phoenix rises!!!
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2019 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, just read this whole thread.

It's like a family reunion.

The last time I saw this thread was like 2015.

Thanks

Archie
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2019 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does PIP work with iOS based phones, or only with PC based systems? 🤔

Don't need PIP anymore.. Post up.

Bob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors