Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Lets Convert a Fiero to Right Hand Drive (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Lets Convert a Fiero to Right Hand Drive by AusFiero
Started on: 12-16-2005 06:46 PM
Replies: 205 (21283 views)
Last post by: northeastfiero on 04-12-2012 07:39 PM
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Any progress?

Beyond the pedals being ready to go in the car none for a while. Just sold the house, moved house, went overseas and now setting up the new garage. Might say i am a little busy.

IP: Logged
agrabo85fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for agrabo85fieroSend a Private Message to agrabo85fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any thing new?
Fiero_Freak

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2006 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero_FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bumpity

------------------
Dana Mitchell
Member of the Gateway Fiero Club
86 SE Red w/ Black 3.2L w/ T-440, 87 GT Maroon w/ Silver Auto, 87 GT Blue w/ 5-Speed
95 Impala SS, 95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon w/ Air Ride
06 Colorado 3.5L, 06 HHR (wife's ride), 91 CBR1000F

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2006 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

$1100. Not cheap, but effective.

DAMN!, they have really gone up in price. I paid $450 for one back in 1989 when I was converting a car.
Baby_Blue

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Baby_BlueSend a Private Message to Baby_BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.

Just read this whole thing in one sitting, very interesting...can't wait to see the rest of the conversion.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump as well, this is very interesting

Brad
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have come to a bit of a standstill. The garage in the new rental is more storage than anything at present. Once I clean up a bit more I will get back into it. But winter in a cold garage isn't appealing right at the moment with so much going on.

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 07-22-2006).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2006 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... But winter in a cold garage isn't appealing at present with so much going on.

I wish we could send you some Texas heat. Right now I'm dreading going out to a hot garage.

I'm anxiously awaiting updates, this has to be the most extensive interior makeover I've ever seen. The only thing I can imagine more difficult would be a center drive.
agrabo85fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for agrabo85fieroSend a Private Message to agrabo85fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to the top
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my fiero converted but with damage to suspension so far have fixed suspension and replaced it all at same time with one hicup i still cant have the driving experience till i fix the steering properly and get an allignment. Also have to fix clutch so not drivable but it could be as little as a fortnight away and it will be on the road driving again eagerly awaitng paint.
It is registered so i will start to drive it around finally without steering and alligement probs.
I have a question to put out to others. I have a RHD fiero with full peddle assembly moved.
I have a damaged tie rod and my steering and allignment is crap to the point where i cant drive it.
I purchased a new fiero tie rod to find the parts didnt suit.(thread was wrong on ends) After speaking to Ausfiero he said that the steering rack is most likely from a Holden Gemini or from a 240 series Volvo as he has heard that it works for a conversion. I have just purchased a new Volvo tie rod and will try that first when it arrives. But what year model geminis or other model racks could it be? Questions to other RHD owners.
fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, however I have a question about RHD. I have never ridden in one to know. A friend of mine said he drove a RHD once and the pedals were backwards aka clutch on the right gas on the left, is this true? I would never be able to learn to drive a clutch if I had to hit the gas with my left foot. It took me long enough to figure it out with LHD.
PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroluv:

I don't want to hijack the thread, however I have a question about RHD. I have never ridden in one to know. A friend of mine said he drove a RHD once and the pedals were backwards aka clutch on the right gas on the left, is this true? I would never be able to learn to drive a clutch if I had to hit the gas with my left foot. It took me long enough to figure it out with LHD.

Nope, the pedal configuration is the same. Your friend musta been high or something
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great thread, Aus.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of these pics. I can't wait to see the finished conversion.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Deabionni:

Great thread, Aus.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of these pics. I can't wait to see the finished conversion.

Hopefully I will have a week to spare soon to get stuck back into it. It has been sittiing for 6 months untouched. The downside of self employment is often time.
crazyhorse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyhorseSend a Private Message to crazyhorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The work your doing looks grate keep up the good work .
hope you get time soon to finish.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hopefully I will have a week to spare soon to get stuck back into it. It has been sittiing for 6 months untouched. The downside of self employment is often time.

To deposit a foreign check into the bank can be a days mission on its own. Hard to make money when only skilled staff are running around doing the chores and the chores take all day. The way business is set up in this country is you have to be able to expand 10 fold to grow. Hope you can still make time for the hobby cant wait to see it registered.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I have allocated myself some time wether I can afford that time or not. I have a guy with a Fiero based Ferrari 360 convertible replica who wants my Fiero engine and trans so I figured now I have a bit of financial incentive it is time to finish the RHD conversion and then go straight into the 3800sc swap.

So after a wasted day trying to remove a damn Fiero wheel locknut ( I will go into that in a different thread) I spent tonight out in the garage finishing the last part of the steering. I had to just notch the new steering shaft on the chain drive unit so the bolt on the factory uni-joint connector could attach to it. Too boring for pics there for 1 bolt.

Next I decided I best do the wiring conversion because a lot of it is in the way of finishing off the crossover shafts for the pedals. So I started with the wiring that connects to the left hand side of the gauge panel and the left hand side of the gauge pod switching.

The pics below will show the progress. Of course I numbered each wire as I went and tonight got 21 wires cut and spliced ready for moving to the other side of the car. I am out of soldering flux so that will be the next job, to solder all the new joins and to insulate all the connections. Then I will tape it all into a nice neat harness and move it over to the right hand side. I have to buy some heavier gauge wire for one of the wires though as it is the main power wire to the gauge pod and I didn't have any wire that gauge.

As you can see all the new wiring is black. I figured all the extension pieces will be inside the harness so you would see them anyway. No point buying 3000 rolls of different colour wires when it is hidden.

Black86gtFastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black86gtFastbackClick Here to visit Black86gtFastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to Black86gtFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This guy knows what he's doing.
Want to hear more!!!
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is summertime down unda', time to have fun.
AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumpity for frink.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still working on the spaghetti harnesses. Well they see, like spaghetti. More pics to come when that is done.
PFF
System Bot
Jermz238

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jermz238Send a Private Message to Jermz238Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Aura:

Looks to be a pretty sweet start.

Is that commmodore a clubsport?

? its a Monaro

EDIT: hah maybe i should've read before posting another correction -_-

[This message has been edited by Jermz238 (edited 02-15-2007).]

formula400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for formula400Send a Private Message to formula400Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too cool for word is all I can say.

Good luck
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now you got me hook to this Great thread ..Nice work
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very anxiously awaiting new photos...

I was really bored one day and researched the history of LHD versus RHD and was interested to discover keeping to the left and RHD is a custom that goes back thousands of years. In ancient times people kept to the left such that their sword arm...the right, was closest to the person coming from the opposite direction, (think jousting). It wasn't until the French Revolution that keeping to the right became popular, and it was Napoleon, (and later Hitler) that influenced the keep right (and LHD) on the rest of Europe and America. RHD versus LHD then followed political and economic alliances, and some countries have actually switched in modern times, (most notably the Netherlands). Okay I was really bored the day I had to know all of this...

Fierotaz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotazSend a Private Message to FierotazEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just came across this thread and read it all. Very interesting as I have often thought of converting to RHD just to be different. Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see the completion of this project.
Leroy
wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
should try to get a few of the parts together and try to sell a kit or 2

------------------

DONE: 86gt 5 speed 4.9 complete rebuild with buds outback northstar pistons , delta cams E303 cam , full ported , polished , stronger head springs, and flow tested heads and manifolds. rockcrawl's custom chip , polished crank . too much to list

88 coupe t-top #656 1 of only 339 base coupes made
85 t-top
87gt parts car
86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

agrabo85fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2007 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for agrabo85fieroSend a Private Message to agrabo85fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anything new
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will be a couple of more weeks until I get back into it now. I just returned from a stint in Thailand and of course there is weeks of work waiting for me now I am back.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*bump*
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the latest Aus?

What are you doing with the dash? Covering it? Paint?

Also, why use a chain drive? With no engine in the way wouldn't a steering rack from a RHD car been easier? or isn't there a good donor?

PFF
System Bot
AgaricX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2007 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AgaricXClick Here to visit AgaricX's HomePageSend a Private Message to AgaricXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates, Aus?
andy0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2007 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andy0Send a Private Message to andy0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in the last few days i have read the 4 pages here several times. ive been trying to convert to rhd for ages. the chain drive unit, its a stroke of genius.
the only thing i'd be worried about is the brake pedal / tube adaptor, but if its been x-rayed, i guess it'll be ok.
my problem is, i cant find anyone who makes the chain drives. i tried searching for the american machines company in SA, they're not in the phone book or any web pages i could find. A.R. engineering used to make them, not anymore.
anyone know of someone who makes them? do you still have the contact details of american machines? are they still in business? please post some info here.
the only thing i found thats even close is the terrifying company below.
http://www.postalthings.com/right_hand.htm
i thought it was a joke when i first found them- lol. i particularily like the way the "steering wheel" sits in front of the airbag. fun in a crash.

aus, if you have any more pics, please post them. i cant wait to see how it ends up.

[This message has been edited by andy0 (edited 06-25-2007).]

andy0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2007 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andy0Send a Private Message to andy0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

andy0

2 posts
Member since Jun 2007
the guys who convert hummers and corvettes to rhd have them(chain drives), but they want to do the work themselves, and charge $100,000 for the job. they won't tell me who makes their parts. if the price was reasonable, it would be an option.
its not.

have you opened up the chain drive to see whats inside? i was wondering if theres chain tensioners in it.

are you regretting doing the whole loom in black cable? i remember doing something similar, and spaghetti was an understatement.

[This message has been edited by andy0 (edited 06-25-2007).]

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2007 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No real progress on my part due to being out of action for a few months. Time to catch up on my business and finances at present.

The Fiero only needs the pedals done now and the emergency brake relocated. I have changed the plan on how to do the pedals now and no shafts will be used. It will be a hydraulic system from one side of the car to the other.

The chain drive units are an engineered piece that have had to meet strict Australian engineering requirements to pass registration. Not a cheap item at $1100AU but part of that cost is covering the original huge development costs to get them passed as legal.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump

And what happened to the pics!

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 05-13-2008).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2008 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes we need the pics again!! And a update would be cool.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2008 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have only just started to get back to the Fiero.
Things have not been real good for me for the last 18 months or so. My health is a major issue at present so I haven't been doing much at all except battling to support my family and stay afloat. Not doing too good a job of either but hopefully things are starting to look up a little. That is the reason why I haven't been on here hardly at all in the last year.

Because of that the Fiero too a huge back seat. Almost considered selling it but it wouldn't have sold partially converted. I actually did spend a few hours on it on the weekend. The first time in a LONG time. The wiring is now finished and the steering is finished.

I am currently working on a relatively simple project on it next of relocating the neutral safety switch and the headlight dimmer unit. Well not exactly straight forward as they used to attach to the steering column and the bar work to operate them was simple. Now because of the shortened column I have to relocate them and reroute the bar work.

I didn't realise the pics had disappeared. Must have lost them when I changed web hosts. I will eventually get them all back up, with some new ones.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2008 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001
Here are a couple of crappy pictures I just took with my phone. Hard to see but the wiring is now on the right and pic 2 is the fiero in its current home.

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 05-28-2008).]

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2008 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh keep us updated!
i totally want to do this to my car. iv always wanted to have a different fiero and other cars on the street. i think it would be kinda rad.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock