Best high end sparkplugs for 1988 2.5 by Fiero-88
Started on: 05-07-2024 04:11 PM
Replies: 3 (112 views)
Last post by: Fiero-88 on 05-09-2024 10:37 AM
Fiero-88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-88Send a Private Message to Fiero-88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all, I have a rather simple question I believe, but anyway I was looking for the best higher end sparkplugs for a 1988 2.5 base coupe. What you have had the best luck with along with what shouldn't be put in it.
My car has a misfire and I've replaced basically everything else related that I could think of, so now my 3 year old plugs are next.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Standard copper core plugs as recommended by Pontiac.

You're wasting your money on anything else.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2024 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have DIS engine w/ miss fire?
Exactly what was replaced & what brand & part # for new part?

Clean/fix all ground bolted/screwed to anything in engine bay & coat w/ silicone or permatex green label brake grease.

PIM/ICM Must have the shield. If not coils will damage the PIM have problems or start a fire.

"Cheap" Copper core AC or Autolite works. Warning: DIS Hates some "high end sparkplugs."
But these "cheap" plugs can rust fast depending on driving conditions etc.

See https://web.archive.org/web...~fierocave/gmdis.htm
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...HTML/146263.html#p10
But seems autolite no longer make the "Double Platinum" APP666 & AC still list 41-816 @ $10 per plug @ most outlets.

When pulling any spark plugs...
Clean the hole before ever try using a wrench.
Turn them 1 turn max and clean again because you often loosen a lot more crap.

get some "canned air" if don't have any type of compressor to blow out trash and rust.
HD Lowes and sim often have it in cleaning or electric section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Fiero-88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-88Send a Private Message to Fiero-88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not familiar with the term "dis" but I believe it is being that it has the coils. I have a suspicion that it in fact does not have the shield, I contacted the mechanic who worked on it and it aperantly dosent but not sure if they know what I meant.
Thanks I appreciate it and will have to look farther into that.

For parts I had replaced the coils with the MSD performance coils from the Fiero store, also replaced was throttle position sensor, map sensor, idle air control valve, and sparkplug wires that I can think of but I don't have the part number or brand for those.

It essentially has a misfire when it's in park, but when you put it in drive it stops doing it, dosent really do it much while driving but you can fell it missing uphill sometimes. It's one of those things that gradually gets worse with time, it will also die from the misfiring, and has died going down the road when not pressing the gas but I'm not sure if that's related.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock