Spark Plugs by donuteater306
Started on: 07-15-2022 04:46 PM
Replies: 13 (288 views)
Last post by: greenturnedblue on 07-16-2022 06:58 PM
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2022 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

6 Delco R42TS plugs purchased, this is what I received:

2- original style, AC Spark Plug
4- modern, AC Delco

Ill submit my complaint to Pontiac šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2022 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Interesting. As different as they look though, I suspect the part of them that sticks into the combustion chamber actually performs the same.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2022 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh ya, look at that, ur rightā€¦thatā€™s the part that matters. Oh well, I ordered two more AC Delco. I had just replaced them in March 2020 but if I donā€™t replace the three forward plugs every two years, they rust. This time I did the wires too.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2022 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306:

...if I donā€™t replace the three forward plugs every two years, they rust.

As long as anti-seize is applied when the plugs are installed, it really shouldn't be an issue. My spark plugs were installed maybe seven years ago in my Formula, my car(s) live outside in the rain, and I don't anticipate any problems removing the plugs.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2022 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use better plugs.
ACdelco or Autolite platinum tips and others have better metal shell to resist rust.

When pulling any spark plugs...
Clean the hole before ever try using a wrench.
Turn them 1 turn max and clean again because you often loosen a lot more crap.

get some "canned air" if don't have any type of compressor to blow out trash and rust.
HD Lowes and sim often have it in cleaning or electric section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2022 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Use better plugs.
ACdelco or Autolite platinum tips and others have better metal shell to resist rust.

When pulling any spark plugs...
Clean the hole before ever try using a wrench.
Turn them 1 turn max and clean again because you often loosen a lot more crap.

get some "canned air" if don't have any type of compressor to blow out trash and rust.
HD Lowes and sim often have it in cleaning or electric section.

I will disagree, use the AC Delco copper plugs.

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2022 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front plugs can rust in like a month. I noticed that on my car which sleeps outside and gets rained on.

Antiseize on the threads doesn't stop the rest of the body (including the hex) from rusting.

For me, I like to remove the spark plugs once or twice a year. Then wirebrush clean, and regap. It's a pleasant Saturday mechanic activity.

I recommend removing plugs often, just to make sure that nothing gets stuck or overly rusted, and because the plug is the canary to the cylinder.

My friend Claude recommends the AC Delco 41809 for the Fiero V6 because it is stainless and doesn't rust.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2022 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

As long as anti-seize is applied when the plugs are installed, it really shouldn't be an issue. My spark plugs were installed maybe seven years ago in my Formula, my car(s) live outside in the rain, and I don't anticipate any problems removing the plugs.

In all of my Fieros, I've installed DENSO Standard U-Groove Spark Plugs. Whatever decade I get around to changing them , I'll post in this thread and report what if any difficulties I faced.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-15-2022).]

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2022 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is what 3 years did to my plugs, and is why I Preemptive strike at two years. I always apply anti-seize, clean around them before removing, and I apply dielectric to the plug wires. Learned this from Ogre years ago šŸ‘. I really wish the original AC was still a thing.

My car had developed a slight misfire, and the tachometer was jumpy. Knowing the plugs cap and rotor had only 6k miles on em, I decided to replace the wires. I have an earlier post regarding red plug wires. The Fiero store replaced the wires under warranty, but unfortunately not only are the new STI wires black, theyā€™re also a narrower gauge than the previous red ones. Regardless, Iā€™m grateful that they were guaranteed, and also my misfire is gone and the tach is smooth again.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2022 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Iā€™ll be the lone wolf hereā€¦.
I have always been an NGK guy.
I run them in everything I own.
Standard copper core please.
Thank you.
Kit
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2022 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
āš ļø Warning: Anti-seize only helps so much and worse many install plugs and other things way too tight because Anti-seize act as Oil/Grease tightening whatever.
Like most Heat Sink "Grease" the oil is just a carrier to flow out over what used for and dries out. If you over-torque @ install, will be even harder to remove.

Originally posted by olejoedad:
I will disagree, use the AC Delco copper plugs.
Believe that all you like...
Fiero V6 Front Plugs are very well known for rusting basic shells very fast. Worse if driven w/ road salt or ocean spray.

4 cyl plugs can have Same problem. Worse for 1 and 2 cyl where Polluted Water gets thru engine bay vent even if have rubber edge "seal" for the vents and deck lid along rear glass. This is what I replace this year and car driven < 1000 mile per year.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Plugs ordered online and while have same PN, 1 is old stock with "cheap shell" vs other 3 coated shells and #1 still rusted big after ~ 5 years. Even 3 & 4 had some rust thru the coating at the taper. ("Double Platinum" APP666 because has DIS. You Do Not Need this for HEI systems.)

Cheap shells are part of why "basic" plugs have 0 days to 3 year warranty. Warranty Does Not cover Rusting of the shell in 1 to 2 years.

Even if the "nut" is ok, rust makes stress points and can break the shell if have problem getting them out. More so if over-torque @ install for any reason.

What you Don't want is Gimmick Plugs like multiple grounds or worse. For many users just eats money doing nothing. GM DIS and others outright Hates them and can burn out the Coils when the plugs go bad. Even Bosh Platinum w/ thin electrodes causes many problems in Waste Spark DIS in GM and some others.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2022 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Iā€™ll be the lone wolf hereā€¦. I have always been an NGK guy. Standard copper core...

You're no "lone wolf" in regards to NGK plugs. They're quite popular. I used to use standard copper core NGK plugs in everything I drove... until I got a smokin' deal on a lot of Denso plugs (for the 2.5 and 2.8) years ago in a close out sale. And yes, I made sure these plugs were favorably reviewed before I bought them all. Still use NGK plugs in my JDM Subie.
Mark_j

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2022 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark_jSend a Private Message to Mark_jEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I've never lived in a place where I had to think of rust issues like that even here in the NW.

Anyway here's my go to for most applications.

Autolite, AC standard copper core for most domestic engines (really depends on price/avail at time of purchase)

NGK standard copper core for most foreign applications.

Anything else is either a gimmick or not really suited for the majority of the older engines I run. The only real exception I had was a Honda 750 interceptor that LOVED Champion spark plugs. Don't know why. It ran ok on NGK and Denso plugs but something about the Champions really brought out its performance. (and no it wasn't because I had a champion sticker on the cowling).

My 2 cents, YMMV
greenturnedblue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2022 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greenturnedblueSend a Private Message to greenturnedblueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
worst case scenario, this happens:

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock