Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Is there a difference between GT and non-GT front fenders?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is there a difference between GT and non-GT front fenders? by phils88GT
Started on: 04-17-2024 10:52 PM
Replies: 7 (156 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-18-2024 11:08 PM
phils88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2024 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phils88GTSend a Private Message to phils88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for a replacement driver side front fender for my 88 GT. Is there a difference between years and GT and non-GT?

Thank you!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2024 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not 100% sure if there are no differences between years (I suspect not), but you'll need fenders for an aero trim equipped Fiero.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2024 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the black molding is round for your car. the early ones are called something else, and I can't remember the word.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2024 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buddy, I was wondering about the black molding (as I know there's two styles)... but doesn't it come off the fenders? Or is it just the door skins it comes off of?

[EDIT] I did some research and found the following Here

Originally posted by mbramble:

The piece of molding on the front fender is held in place with two tin nuts on the backside of the fender. You must remove the fender to remove the molding.

So it would appear then that the black molding can be transferred from one fender to another.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-18-2024).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2024 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few years ago (well, almost 15), I put a fender from a bumper-pad 85 or 86 onto my 88GT following a small fender-bender. I used my original aero piece from my car, and the lower aero skirt was from the Fiero Store. That bright red door is an '84, which actually IS different by the way (the top of the door skin attaches differently than the later years). Everything fit together perfectly.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2024 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I put a fender from a bumper-pad 85 or 86 onto my 88GT following a small fender-bender. I used my original aero piece from my car...

I'm curious... what modifications did you need to do to attach the aero piece at the bottom? Was it just a matter of drilling a couple of mounting holes? And except for the required holes, there was no other difference between the fenders where the aero piece attached?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-18-2024).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2024 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm curious... what modifications did you need to do to attach the aero piece at the bottom? Was it just a matter of drilling a couple of mounting holes? And except for the required holes, there was no other difference between the fenders where the aero piece attached?

I don't remember exactly, unfortunately. I do recall that the aero piece on the door was supposed to be riveted to the door panel, but instead of rivets, I used small stainless Allen bolts. I may have done the same for the aero piece that goes on the fender. Yes, I had to drill the holes. I do know that the lower edge of the fender is supposed to be riveted to the metal unibody, and the rocker panels (aero or otherwise) are supposed to be riveted also, and I used plastic rivets from Harbor Freight for that (actual plastic rivets, not push pins). Too bad I didn't snap any pictures but it was back in 2009.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2024 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had a look at some Fiero front fenders I have here. I forgot to double-check how the black molding is attached , but it does appear that the bottom of the fender where the aero trim attaches is the same on all years/models (except for the holes required for mounting the aero trim).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock