how do you get the black molding off the side of the car by GTMike
Started on: 09-02-2001 10:46 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: GTMike on 09-03-2001 01:53 PM
GTMike

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2001 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeSend a Private Message to GTMikeDirect Link to This Post
i want to paint the black stripe the color of my car. how do you get it off. thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MD_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2001 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MD_FieroSend a Private Message to MD_FieroDirect Link to This Post
should be screws in the wheel wells, socket bolts...just follow the strip untill u find a screw
GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2001 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeSend a Private Message to GTMikeDirect Link to This Post
so from the back side? what about on the door part and the rear inder the tail lights?
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2001 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
Most of the trim is held on by plastic clips that are probably going to break as you try to remove them. Replacements can be gotten from the Fiero Store and also Rodney Dickman. The piece under the tail lights is not removable. It's actually part of the rear facia, just painted on.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga. 84 SE, 330,000 miles and counting, 88 GT, not nearly as many miles :)

mbramble

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2001 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mbrambleSend a Private Message to mbrambleDirect Link to This Post
To remove the door molding: Lift up the door handle and you will see the head of a black plastic rivet holding the end of the long piece of molding in place. Pry up with a screwdriver to remove it. Then gently begin lifting up the molding. There are 3-4 plastic clips holding it in place. You MAY be able to remove them without breaking them. Be very carful at the front end as there is a different type of clip that is screwed into the door. If you plan to remove the small piece behind the door handle, you must remove the skin to do so. The piece of molding on the front fender is held in place with two tin nuts on the backside of the fender. You must remove the fender to remove the molding. The molding on the quarter panel behind the door is held in place with a plastic rivet in the door well, 1-2 clips like in the door and at the back end with the same type that is at the front of the door, it is screwed into the 1/4 panel. Remove the side markers by taking out the two torx head screws. On my smooth molding 87 coupe, that only leaves the part of the molding that is actually a part of the front/rear fascias. On my ribbed molding 85 GT that leaves the molding that is part of the front/rear fasica plus a small piece in front of the rear marker and behind the front marker that are also parts of the fascias. Actually you can remove the short, pointy part at the very front of the front fascia but you can't remove the piece behind the marker light.

It would be much easier to tape it off and paint it on the car!!!

GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2001 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeSend a Private Message to GTMikeDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the long detaild post. i think i'll be doing some tapeing and painting.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock