Clutch Pedal Geometry? by Anthony196
Started on: 03-27-2024 06:30 PM
Replies: 12 (150 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-31-2024 12:00 PM
Anthony196

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony196Send a Private Message to Anthony196Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The slave cylinder was frozen when I bought my car, and apparently someone was trying their best to get it unstuck. I replaced the clutch master and slave, bled the system, and was still barely getting the clutch to disengage. After searching around the forum a bit, I poked my head under the dash and realized the clutch pedal was actually resting slightly lower than the brake, so I figured a bent pedal was the culprit. I just accomplished the joyous task of getting the thing out and wanted to share a couple of pics and confirm what it should look like before I start bending things...

Should the centerline of the 'U' shaped bracket basically follow the centerline of the pivot bushing?

And should it be square to the pedal arm?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Anthony196:

The slave cylinder was frozen when I bought my car, and apparently someone was trying their best to get it unstuck. I replaced the clutch master and slave, bled the system, and was still barely getting the clutch to disengage. After searching around the forum a bit, I poked my head under the dash and realized the clutch pedal was actually resting slightly lower than the brake, so I figured a bent pedal was the culprit. I just accomplished the joyous task of getting the thing out and wanted to share a couple of pics and confirm what it should look like before I start bending things...

Should the centerline of the 'U' shaped bracket basically follow the centerline of the pivot bushing?

And should it be square to the pedal arm?

Yup, classic bent pedal! I think Rodney sells a kit to fix that, and maybe the Fiero store sells a new pedal.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick Here:

I know the older style is always referred to as the "aluminum" pedal. The weird thing is though, the part that bends on the older style pedal is STEEL. Yes indeed. It's not the aluminum arm of the older style pedal that bends, it's the steel bracket that the banjo attaches to.

Here's a picture of a bent aluminum pedal beside a newer style steel one. Notice it's NOT the aluminum arm that's bent (any more than it should be).

Following are two images of the same pedals pictured above, this time from the side. These images clearly show that the bracket also bends in a second direction away from the master cylinder.

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes you have it right, seeing you have it out you can straighten it back, pretty much what your diagrams show everything should be ' squared up'
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't I cover this like 20 years ago or something when me and Rodney had a pissing match?
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dont forget the double seal slave piston and adjustable banjo that Rodney sells. i have both on my car. i still have the original aluminum pedal and it has never bent.

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 3800SC, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

Didn't I cover this like 20 years ago or something when me and Rodney had a pissing match?

I don't know, I wasn't even alive 20 years ago, and the OP just bought the car, enlighten me!
Anthony196

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony196Send a Private Message to Anthony196Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

Dont forget the double seal slave piston and adjustable banjo that Rodney sells. i have both on my car. i still have the original aluminum pedal and it has never bent.

Thanks - I did upgrade the slave I purchased with Rodney's piston. Didn't buy the adjustable banjo though...
Anthony196

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony196Send a Private Message to Anthony196Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anthony196

18 posts
Member since Mar 2024
Appreciate the replies - I'm still learning the forum. Once I realized the search function allows you to search the archives, I did find some of those older posts!
stevep914

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevep914Send a Private Message to stevep914Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also remember when you get that all,straightened out, the last step of your bleeding procedure is to get the last air out of the system, by pushing the slave rod all the way back into the cylinder with the slave bleed screw open or out! ( from personal experience) Close the bleed screw and you should be good to go.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2024 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks - I did upgrade the slave I purchased with Rodney's piston. Didn't buy the adjustable banjo though...

If you can get the adjustable banjo, it would probably help.

I didn't know that Rodney is closing up shop.
So we might have to do things the old way.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 03-30-2024).]

PFF
System Bot
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2024 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

If you can get the adjustable banjo, it would probably help.

I didn't know that Rodney is closing up shop.
So we might have to do things the old way.

Actually I recently became aware of dangerous issues with adjustable / multi piece brake push rods, do a search for ' C8 Corvette Brake Push rod failures'.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2024 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

Actually I recently became aware of dangerous issues with adjustable / multi piece brake push rods, do a search for ' C8 Corvette Brake Push rod failures'.

Keep in mind this thread is about the clutch pedal.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock