ANYONE EVER UN-BENT A BENT CLUTCH PEDLE ???` by ganja221986
Started on: 01-17-2010 06:15 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: theogre on 01-18-2010 05:44 PM
ganja221986

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ganja221986Send a Private Message to ganja221986Direct Link to This Post
I KNOW I SHOULD REPLACE IT BUT I CANT BUY ONE RIGHT THIS SECOND SO ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRICIATED
sorry all caps
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indiana87GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana87GTSend a Private Message to Indiana87GTDirect Link to This Post
I have not, but I would like to throw this out.

If your clutch is so stiff that you bent the pedal, you need to pull the transmission and clean/lubricate/replace the throwout bearing, throwout pivot fork, bushings for the pivot fork. The pedal feel on these cars is very light if everything is set up right, similar feel to any modern 4 or 6 cylinder manual shift vehicle. Since the throwout forks and their bushings are inside the bellhousing where lots of clutch dust and metal particles float around, over time they bind up. The sleeve the throwout bearing slides on gets gummy too. The forks themselves wear on the tips which adds to the problem. Eventually everything gets so stiff that the clutch does not fully disengage, and it starts to slip and eventually it will crap out too. I've had an '85GT with the 4 speed, and an '87GT with the 5 speed, and both cars had this problem when I got them. The '85 was my first Fiero, and I thought the super stiff clutch pedal was normal until the clutch finally failed and the transmission shop that changed it also got the throwout components refurbished! FYI, that car had 52K miles on it, not a lot, this was back in 1996 or so when the car was only 11 years old. My current GT has 112K on it and from my experience with the first car I knew when I bought it that it needed this work, interestingly the PO had put a clutch in but failed to address any of this when he did.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but I hope it might!

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Another fix for the bent pedal is to build or buy an adjustable banjo. The Aluminum pedal will not hold its shape for long if you just bend it back.
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
I had an 85/Duke with a bent pedal. The part that was bent was the bracket that was rivited on to the pedal assembly. I took it out, put it in a vise and got it back to normal shape. It is not hard to remove, just a few bolts. You can get the pedal out without taking out the entire bracket that the pedal mounts to which is a lot of work to remove. The pedal was bent because the master cylinder was frozen...the car was sitting for 10 years before I got it. It all works now with a new master/slave. Check those out before you pull the trans.
Jim

------------------

87 T-top 2.8 5sp Camaro Dash Bonneville door panels; 86 355 body & interior kits 3.1 Auto; 85 SE 2.5 5sp, 86 SE 2.8 auto parts car

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

The Aluminum pedal will not hold its shape for long if you just bend it back.

I know the older style is always referred to as the "aluminum" pedal. The weird thing is though, the part that bends on the older style pedal is STEEL. Yes indeed. It's not the aluminum arm of the older style pedal that bends, it's the steel bracket that the banjo attaches to.

Here's a picture of a bent aluminum pedal beside a newer style steel one. Notice it's NOT the aluminum arm that's bent (any more than it should be).

Following are two images of the same pedals pictured above, this time from the side. These images clearly show that the bracket also bends in a second direction away from the master cylinder.

I've considered bending it back, but I haven't had to yet as I have a couple of extra pedals to use.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-30-2010).]

timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaDirect Link to This Post
Good News! I just saw (newly listed) on ebay both the Rodney Dickman banjo...........and ............a brand new clutch pedal. Both are starting cheap! Hope this helps.
JohnyGt67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnyGt67Send a Private Message to JohnyGt67Direct Link to This Post
From my understanding of what I've read, you can bend the bracket back, but it will get bent again in a relatively short time. I've not read if anyone has tried unbending and tempering-if you can effectively heat treat the bracket without damaging the aluminum arm, it may hold up.

------------------
'84 Sport Coupe (third time's a charm?)

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTDirect Link to This Post
Or bent it back and use a mig welder to weld a small reinforcement were the yellow line is (inner side). I haven’t done it and I don’t know the available space, but this way it will last forever…
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
If you remove the source of the problem that caused the bend, I would not expect the pedal to bend again unless it has been work hardened from lots of bending cycles where the part gets weakened.
Jim
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
Ed Parks says the pedal part never seems to get bent - even on the aluminum ones. It was always the steel U part. You can bend it back. You need a strong vice and a large pipe wrench or similar large adjustable wrench or something. It will be slightly weaker but should last a long time. All depends on how much pressure it takes to push in the clutch. I have seen some clutch pressure plates that were very hard to depress. I have the Centerforce dual friction clutch and it is on the easy side to push in the clutch pedal. Excellent clutch in my opinion.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_86GT:

Or bent it back and use a mig welder to weld a small reinforcement were the yellow line is (inner side). I haven’t done it and I don’t know the available space, but this way it will last forever…

I was wondering if anyone ever welded a gusset on that bracket. It wouldnt bend again. Factory should have done it in the first place.

I do know the pivot for the clutch arm does seize up, especially with original grease. Another dumb failure of the manufacturer to not put a grease fitting there.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
[EDIT] I cut and pasted this post into my previous post.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-30-2010).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Most likely... It got bent because Hydraulic system is overloaded. Hydraulic system or Clutch, or both, is messed up.

Probably:
Binding in clutch arm in tranny. Bushing need clean/lube or is bad.
Binding release bearing. Need lube or is bad.
Binding in Master and/or Slave.
Or all of the above.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock