1988 GT Dampers (Shock Absorbers) by Kern
Started on: 09-29-2023 05:10 PM
Replies: 4 (280 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 10-02-2023 11:36 PM
Kern

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2023 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KernSend a Private Message to KernEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do any forum members have experience with replacement dampers for a 1988 GT - brands, control, ride quality, life, etc. The car I just bought has about 55K on the chassis and feels a little floaty as compared to some of my other cars.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2023 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original factory shocks/struts only dampened the rebound. Anything current will be an improvement if that's what your '88 is still riding on.

Originally posted by Patrick Here:

I used Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks and struts in my lowered and stiffened (cut springs) '84 for daily driving and autocross for four years. Love the way that car feels.

I now daily drive and autocross an '88 Formula. When I first got the car a year ago, I put new Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks and struts in it with the stock springs. Car felt okay, but I didn't like the soft stock springs. A friend gave me a set of four '88 lowering springs along with near new KYB shocks and struts. Since I now had shocks and struts made by both companies in my hands (literally), I compared them. I wanted to use the stiffest ones, the ones with the most resistance to both compression and rebound. You might be surprised at what I found.

The KYB shocks were stiffer than the Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks. No surprise there.

However... the Monroe Sensa-Trac struts were stiffer than the KYB struts.

So I now have KYB shocks on the front of the Formula, and Monroe Sensa-Trac struts on the back.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-29-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2023 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kern:

Do any forum members have experience with replacement dampers for a 1988 GT - brands, control, ride quality, life, etc. The car I just bought has about 55K on the chassis and feels a little floaty as compared to some of my other cars.

The best ride (in my opinion) is one where the shocks are progressive... but generally soft under normal driving, but the springs are stiff. This is a bit more of your Porsche / German style of road feel. That's what I typically do when I have to replace shocks and springs.

In my 87 Fiero, I went with WS6-rated springs (which you can order from a NAPA catalog at the store), and then went with softer Monroe shocks.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 09-29-2023).]

Vintage-Nut

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2023 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I now have KYB shocks on the front of the Formula, and Monroe Sensa-Trac struts on the back.

Ditto: I have KYB GR-2 Shocks on the front of my '88 GT, and Monroe Sensa-Trac Struts on the back too........

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2023 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

Ditto: I have KYB GR-2 Shocks on the front of my '88 GT, and Monroe Sensa-Trac Struts on the back too...

Great minds think alike.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock