KYB or MONROE by newfiejeff
Started on: 11-12-2014 11:08 AM
Replies: 11 (840 views)
Last post by: newfiejeff on 11-14-2014 10:15 PM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2M4

Hi, which is the better strut to use on the fiero KYB or Monroe? I currently have 17 inch low profile tires that hits a little harder then stock wheels.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I have my answer. KYB is stiffer and Monroe is more like stock.

Still if anyone wants to chime in they can.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your second post nails it. I put KYB shocks and struts on my 84 a few years ago a and the front shocks are too stiff for me. They do handle better, but I just picked up a pair of Monroe's for the front.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Monroe struts with about 3000 miles on them and I think they are too soft. Its almost like one of them are showing signs of being worn out. I don't think I would buy Monroe now after experiencing the ones I have. I have KYP up front and they seems fine.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Monroe struts are not expensive, but it seems that they are inconsistent. It's easy to get a bad one right out of the box....I suppose most customers never notice and don't care....but you do notice on a Fiero. If you want to go to the trouble of taking the bad one off and getting another one, I'm sure they replace it no charge. If you get good ones, they seem to be fine.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would agree that KYB is a much stiffer shock that gives better handling but a hard ride. I have them on one Fiero and Monroes on another.
When I compare the both; my opinion: KYB for a hobby or race car. Monroe if the car is driven often.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Sensa-tracs which have been working very well for the past 8 years.

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I have Sensa-tracs which have been working very well for the past 8 years.

I'm glad you mentioned "Sensa-Tracs" because Monroe makes several models of shocks and struts. Just saying "Monroe" (as has been earlier posted) doesn't narrow it down enough.

I used Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks and struts in my lowered and stiffened (cut springs) '84 for daily driving and autocross for four years. Love the way that car feels.

I now daily drive and autocross an '88 Formula. When I first got the car a year ago, I put new Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks and struts in it with the stock springs. Car felt okay, but I didn't like the soft stock springs. A friend gave me a set of four '88 lowering springs along with near new KYB shocks and struts. Since I now had shocks and struts made by both companies in my hands (literally), I compared them. I wanted to use the stiffest ones, the ones with the most resistance to both compression and rebound. You might be surprised at what I found.

The KYB shocks were stiffer than the Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks. No surprise there.

However... the Monroe Sensa-Trac struts were stiffer than the KYB struts.

So I now have KYB shocks on the front of the Formula, and Monroe Sensa-Trac struts on the back.

The Formula feels pretty good, but I'm still not satisfied with the lack of stiffness in the front. I'll be removing the '88 front lowering springs and replacing them with a pair of cut '84-'87 front springs. I'll continue to use my current choice of shocks and struts (and rear lowering springs).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-13-2014).]

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Imnuts:

I have Monroe struts with about 3000 miles on them and I think they are too soft. Its almost like one of them are showing signs of being worn out. I don't think I would buy Monroe now after experiencing the ones I have. I have KYP up front and they seems fine.

I do have the Monroe 71814 - Sensa-Trac Rear Struts on my 88 GT. They sure do seem bouncy, maybe I have a bad one that only lasted 500 miles. But again they are inexpensive. I just don't want to have it realigned again this soon.

Have you thought of converting to coil overs? I have seen many links here that do it cheaply or very expensively. I not sure of the ride but I know they would be adjustable.
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
The KYB shocks were stiffer than the Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks. No surprise there.

However... the Monroe Sensa-Trac struts were stiffer than the KYB struts.

So I now have KYB shocks on the front of the Formula, and Monroe Sensa-Trac struts on the back.

When you buy them it says "KYBs gas-a-just shocks and rear GR-2 struts" so they are gas in the front and not gas in the rear. I like the Konis but Monroe would be great for the price. The Sensa Trac get stiffer when they are not in the normal ride height range so it may be that a lowered car rides stiffer than a stock ride height car would with the same Sensa Tracs.

------------------
fourpoint9
modifiedfieros.com

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Steve, good to hear from you. It's been awhile!
PFF
System Bot
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I ordered the sensatracs with a lifetime warranty and about $110 tax in. I really wanted the stiffer ride but with low profile 17" tires and the roads, I wanted a little forgiveness.
I will keep you posted on what I find.
So when you say you lowered the springs do it mean that you cut them off a little.....sorry if it's a stupid question!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock