Clutch master and slave by hunter29
Started on: 09-05-2023 11:55 AM
Replies: 27 (444 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 10-04-2023 06:33 PM
hunter29

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2023 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No info in Ogre's cave ? Going to replace both, anything I need to know ?

thanks..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2023 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First Pointer: Buy the Correct Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders for Your Fiero.......(Year/Engine)

Second Tip is Rodney's Dual Seal Piston for the Slave Cylinder

You'll also need to bleed the master cylinder on the bench (fitting and hose)

Option: hand operated vacuum pump with a sealed container to bleed the brake system (way easier and you don't need a 'helper')

*Remove the master then the slave
*Install the slave
*Bleed the master cylinder on the bench; then install the master on the car, connect to the pedal - (mount the loop of the banjo UP)
*Bleed the system at the slave, seal the fitting
*Pump the clutch pedal several times, bleed the line again to get ALL the air, seal it
*Test the Clutch.....

Edit: As Ogre said - ⚠️ "Ignore whatever IA post here" (Opps, I stepped in a 'pile' - My Apologize Cliff!)

------------------
Original Owner of a '88 GT and under 'Production Refurbishment'

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 09-06-2023).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2023 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PFF AI Bot:

When removing the clutch master cylinder, it's often easier to just remove the entire hydraulic assembly - the master cylinder, the line, and the slave cylinder all at one time.

You'll need a specific tool to remove the roll pin from the Fiero's clutch pedal to get to the master cylinder. It's called a roll pin punch tool.

I could see the first point, above, being correct concerning a RWD car with a longitudinal engine. Maybe.
For a Fiero? No. It's a major undertaking, and likely not even possible.

The second point? I seem to remember a cotter pin and washer holding the clutch banjo to my clutch pedal. No idea where the "roll pin" comment came from.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-05-2023).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2023 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm afraid the response by PFF AI Bot has earned a fail.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I said in the Announcement, this is all very, very, very experimental. And answers it will give can be either partly wrong, entirely wrong, or completely fabricated. That's why I need feedback so I can see if fine tuning helps, or even extra training.

Saying stuff like "All the AI crap is wrong", or saying "Ignore everything IA (sic) posts" before it has even posted anything, is not only unhelpful but even incredibly insulting to me (since I'm putting a lot of time and money into something that might be incredibly useful).

But hey, I can also just stop trying to make PFF better. Saves me time and money.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11618 posts
Member since Jan 99

Originally posted by Raydar:

I could see the first point, above, being correct concerning a RWD car with a longitudinal engine. Maybe.
For a Fiero? No. It's a major undertaking, and likely not even possible.

The second point? I seem to remember a cotter pin and washer holding the clutch banjo to my clutch pedal. No idea where the "roll pin" comment came from.

This is actually helpful.
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love this forum. You are doing great service Cliff, but don't take the comments against the AI personal.

The comments are about the AI and not you. "AI" is a gimmick in any case, because they are not intelligent at all, just stochastic filters with lots of data. I like your idea of saving yourself time and money .

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cyrus88:

You are doing great service Cliff, but don't take the comments against the AI personal.

Exactly!

Cliff, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only member of the forum who had no idea what was going on with these AI posts that suddenly began to appear. It was just now that I had a look at This thread, and saw your posts describing your involvement.

Maybe you could make some announcement about this experiment so that we can better appreciate what's going on under the hood.

I hope you don't mind the image I posted in my previous post. It's just that the AI advice on the Fiero clutch hydraulics was soooo bad.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cyrus88:

but don't take the comments against the AI personal.

Well, I do take it personal because I'm spending time and money on this and when somebody offers no help whatsoever (trying to get this thing to work) but just calls it "AI Crap" after it has only given 3 answers or so and even before it has given an answer, and actually encouraging people to ignore my tests, then that irks me to no end. To me that's like saying "ignore whatever it is Cliff is trying to do because even though I have given it no chance whatsoever, it's crap."

I take that very personal.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11618 posts
Member since Jan 99

Originally posted by Patrick:

Maybe you could make some announcement about this experiment so that we can better appreciate what's going on under the hood.

There has been an announcement about this for a week now.
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11618 posts
Member since Jan 99

I hope you don't mind the image I posted in my previous post. It's just that the AI advice on the Fiero clutch hydraulics was soooo bad.

Yes,I know. That's why I'm experimenting with this. I was currently testing how good/bad his answers were without any additional training. And it was hit and miss. Sometimes it was right on the money, other times it was complete and utterly wrong. But that can still be tweaked without additional training. So feedback would be appreciated. And I don't consider "it's crap" feedback.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

There has been an announcement about this for a week now.

Well geez Cliff, who the heck ever randomly checks the Announcement section? I only look in there on the rare occasion after the forum has been down to see what the problem was.

So feedback would be appreciated.

Okay, now that I know that the PFF AI Bot is a project that you yourself are working on, I'd be glad to offer feedback. I thought it was just some sort of auto-link to an off-site AI program run by who knows who.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, as with every other section, when there are new messages, this lights up:

I was thinking of making it blink (for the Announcements sections only) so it's harder to miss when there is a new announcement. But I'm sure there will be someone complaining the blinking is annoying. 🙄

But seriously, there are a few people here who throw a rant every single time I introduce something new and it's getting annoying.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 05:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, as with every other section, when there are new messages, this lights up...

Well damn, I've only been here 24 years and I've never noticed those symbols lighting up. (... or I have, but simply forgot all about them... which is just as bad.)

There are sections of the forum I investigate every time I'm here, and some sections I seldom, if ever check. It never occurs to me to look to see if there's something indicating whether or not there are new posts. I'll have to pay closer attention from now on!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-06-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36432 posts
Member since Apr 99

...when somebody offers no help whatsoever (trying to get this thing to work) but just calls it "AI Crap" after it has only given 3 answers or so and even before it has given an answer, and actually encouraging people to ignore my tests, then that irks me to no end.

I just wanted to briefly touch upon this. I know whom you're referring to, and yes, I've been... disappointed a couple times myself when he's kind of trashed advice that I've given. I shrug it off though as I don't believe his comments are ever intended to be malicious. For whatever reason, he just doesn't seem to have a filter in place to prevent being ultra direct. And we also never know what's going on behind the scenes in people's lives that might affect their demeanor. I guess I'm just trying to re-emphasize what was said earlier about not taking the AI criticisms personally... especially from certain people who've been here a long time and have generally been very helpful and informative.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As I said in the Announcement, this is all very, very, very experimental. And answers it will give can be either partly wrong, entirely wrong, or completely fabricated. That's why I need feedback so I can see if fine tuning helps, or even extra training.

I've been reading all of them, just to see what it says, and some of them have actually been spot on... but some of them are kind of outlandish. What are you building your model off of? Probably obvious, but I wonder if it wouldn't be better to curate the model off of just Pennocks, and some other Fiero-specific sites? (I assume you're already doing that).

But again, half of them have been pretty spot-on. It's just a few of them are totally off... but also, some people don't like being challenged, especially by an AI... hahah.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow - I'm very sorry Cliff that I incredibly insulted you and it's personal; I edited my OP by removing Ogre's "warning" comment.

Originally posted by Patrick
Well geez Cliff, who the heck ever randomly checks the Announcement section? / I'm pretty sure I'm not the only member of the forum who had no idea what was going on with these AI posts that suddenly began to appear.

Ditto - I didn't get the 'memo' and you're pouring money and time on "AI Responses"

Again, I apologize for my comment against the 'new feature'.......

*Edit: Without a doubt; I'm a 'dinosaur' and I believe human intelligence and valuable experience.

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 09-06-2023).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate all this E-lec-Tronic crap! I think we should just ban all compu..........
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2023 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

What are you building your model off of?

I've (briefly) tested GPT-3.5 and GPT-4 but I've read some posts on AI forums that for these kinds of applications, davinci might be better.

The GPT models are more conversational. They'll just say stuff to get a conversation going and correct themselves as you continue talking to them. Problem here is of course that I only want it to give a single answer which (because of earlier mentioned reasons) is more often incorrect than correct.

I'm currently trying to find out how I can train it with PFF's data which should make it a lot more knowledgeable.
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2023 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank VN …
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2023 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well,
Ya'all get the popcorn out.
Or a beer....

Vintage-Nut answer was almost as wrong as the AI.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2023 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:I've (briefly) tested GPT-3.5 and GPT-4 but I've read some posts on AI forums that for these kinds of applications, davinci might be better.

The GPT models are more conversational. They'll just say stuff to get a conversation going and correct themselves as you continue talking to them. Problem here is of course that I only want it to give a single answer which (because of earlier mentioned reasons) is more often incorrect than correct.

I'm currently trying to find out how I can train it with PFF's data which should make it a lot more knowledgeable.

That would actually be pretty awesome if you could get that to work. I think it would be helpful. I did think some of the AI responses were interesting in that they brought a different perspective from outside the Fiero community. I can't remember which one it was, but it did give me a hmm.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2023 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Many people don't think to use SEARCH (or are lazy) when they log on with a question.
For some Searches the results are pages and pages of threads because the word "clutch" was used in a response.
And it takes a long time to "weed through" looking for a useful response (maybe why some people won't use it too).

It would be useful if the AI could work as "a smarter search engine" limited to only looking through forum data.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2023 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

For some Searches the results are pages and pages of threads because the word "clutch" was used in a response.

Selecting Subject/Username instead of Entire thread as a search criteria certainly cuts down on non-relevant hits.

I find that the more words/terms I use in the Search box, the more precise are the hits... as only hits with all the words/terms used will be presented.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2023 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Selecting Subject/Username instead of Entire thread as a search criteria certainly cuts down on non-relevant hits.
I find that the more words/terms I use in the Search box, the more precise are the hits... as only hits with all the words/terms used will be presented.

You and I are probably the best searchers around
but sometimes it is even difficult to find a thread I remember previously reading...

And I often use Google to find pictures I've posted using site:fiero.nl

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-02-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2023 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And I often use Google to find pictures I've posted using site:fiero.nl

Yes, it works well... although I've never been able to find the original Fiero on Mars photoshopped image that was posted here a l-o-n-g time ago.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2023 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, it works well... although I've never been able to find the original Fiero on Mars photoshopped image that was posted here a l-o-n-g time ago.

Here's the original thread.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...000503-2-000593.html

Apologies for swerving off topic to the OP.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2023 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's the original thread.
Fiero found on Mars

And here's the version of the thread stored on the Wayback Machine from April 23, 2002. As you can see, it's retained the missing smiley faces, but unfortunately not the missing image of the Fiero on Mars. What we need from the Wayback Machine is an earlier version of the thread before Cliff archived it. When a thread is archived, its URL changes, so what I haven't tried yet is to see if I can reformulate the URL to how it was originally (if that's even possible), and then plug that URL into the WayBack Machine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock