3.5 liter by Kalel
Started on: 05-24-2023 03:50 AM
Replies: 54 (687 views)
Last post by: Kalel on 06-01-2023 02:06 AM
Kalel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1987 fiero 2.8 liter I put a 2006 Pontiac G6 3.5 block with the 2.8 heads and intake but 5 mins idling the exhaust is glowing red what could be the problem ?

------------------
SUPERMAN

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you replace the injectors with larger ones?
You added 25% more displacement, so you likely need to add more fuel. Without it the car will run very lean.
Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the 3.5 liter injectors
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hows you timing?

Significantly retarded timing will cause glowing red headers.
Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's distributor
I can turn it down and stop the glow but then it has no power

------------------
SUPERMAN

Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kalel

27 posts
Member since May 2023
And with the glowing headers the block is cold
I adjusted the valves to spec for the 2.8 but the rockers on the 3.5 tighten all the way down

------------------
SUPERMAN

Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kalel

27 posts
Member since May 2023
If I degree the cam would that make a difference ?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kalel:

It's distributor
I can turn it down and stop the glow but then it has no power

Fiero balancers are known for slipping, so you might want to verify top dead center on cylinder #1, make a new mark on the balancer, and then recheck timing.
Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't go by marks
I make sure #1is on compression stroke with a gauge and make sure piston is all the way up

------------------
SUPERMAN

Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kalel

27 posts
Member since May 2023
But I'm with you
I feel like it firing with the exhaust valve open
That's the only way I feel it could make the headers glow
And it on both sides
They get bright red like the eye on a stove on high

------------------
SUPERMAN

Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kalel

27 posts
Member since May 2023
And I have also wondered if valve adjustment might be different cause if the roller lifters and not flat ?

------------------
SUPERMAN

PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
Fiero balancers are known for slipping, so you might want to verify top dead center on cylinder #1, make a new mark on the balancer, and then recheck timing.

How exactly do people do this with an assembled engine in a car?

I have found TDC on a shortblock with a dial indicator measuring the piston's height (measure angle with piston some depth in the hole on upstroke, measure angle at same depth on downstroke, then find angle midpoint), but there is no such access to the piston with a cylinder head installed.

Edit: I searched, and found a tool called a piston stop: https://www.summitracing.co...yle/cylinder-head-on

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 05-24-2023).]

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am not a veteran swap guy (yet) but a bad vacuum leak can and will cause the manifolds to glow.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did it the other day by wadding up a piece of paper into a cone, stuffing it into the #1 spark plug hole, pull the coil wire, then tiny bumps on the starter till u hear the paper "pop" out. Then u just passed tdc on comp stroke. Lost my plug wire pattern the udder day and did this trick to get me close to #1.

Glowing manis means lean or timing off or both.

shem
Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been a mechanic for 25 years I build motors , transmission and differentials
I know all the basic stuff about vacuum leaks ,bigger injectors just not to sure about displacement and air flow and stuff like that
Some people said the motor wouldn't even run but I proved them wrong
I believe it timing myself just don't know if it is valve timing or fuel timing or fire timing

------------------
SUPERMAN

Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kalel

27 posts
Member since May 2023
I do know that the valves in the 2.8 and the 3.5 are the same size only difference is the 3.5 has larger intake ports cause the heads are taller
So the only difference between the two engine's is larger pistons roller lifters and larger intake port both engine's take the same oil filter

------------------
SUPERMAN

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

How exactly do people do this with an assembled engine in a car?

I have found TDC on a shortblock with a dial indicator measuring the piston's height (measure angle with piston some depth in the hole on upstroke, measure angle at same depth on downstroke, then find angle midpoint), but there is no such access to the piston with a cylinder head installed.

Edit: I searched, and found a tool called a piston stop: https://www.summitracing.co...yle/cylinder-head-on

Correct, the best way in short block or long block form is with a piston stop (without the head you can bolt a bar across with a bolt in the center to stop the piston).
sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this may sound stupid but what fuel pump pressure is required for the 3.5 engine. a mismatch might leave the injectors lean .
Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not stupid at all
Thank you for bringing that to my attention
The 2.8 pressure is 40 to 47 the 3.5 is 50 to 60 I this that may have something to do with the problem I'm having

------------------
SUPERMAN

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ECU are you using for all engine sensors and controls?

What O2 sensor are you using? Single wire, or heated multi-wire?
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So many questions...
Did you replace the pistons to bring up your compression?
What did you do with the cam phaser?

I know *some* G6's got the 3500 based on the 3400, not the 3900 so perhaps that's the engine you are using and my question about the cam phaser is irrelevant...
PFF
System Bot
Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using 2.8 l ecm and sensor
Wanted it to look like factory engine just a more durable bottom end
The 2006 3.5 (3500) doesn't have phasers
Until 2010
I'm going to change out the fuel pump and see if that helps 10 to 20 psi of fuel pressure may cause a lean condition

------------------
SUPERMAN

sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
changing the fuel pump might not help. holley makes an adjustable fuel pressure regulator which will allow you to adjust pressure up to what you need. Stock regulator is non adjustable so changing pump will not increase the running max pressure. sleek
jdv

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If this is a lx9 they had return less fuel rails. You can use 3400 rails or 3500 rails with a corvette return less fuel filter. What did you use for the timing wheel? The 3500 has a 24x wheel that is not compatible with the stock ecm.
Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does not have a crank sensor
It is set up just like the 2.8 factory engine
And it's the 2.8 fuel rail
Only thing different is the block

------------------
SUPERMAN

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
but if you didn't change your pistons, your compression ratio is ~7.5:1 instead of around 9+:1 ...

2.8 pistons have a flat top, IIRC
3.4 iron head pistons have a slight dish
3X00 have a deeper dish since the head combustion chamber is smaller

You should have gotten custom pistons to get the right compression ratio with iron heads or potentially swapped in 3.6 LFX pistons which gets you to 10:1ish but you might need different rods with those, not sure.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-25-2023).]

Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has nothing from a 3.4 l on the engine

------------------
SUPERMAN

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't go by marks
I make sure #1is on compression stroke with a gauge and make sure piston is all the way up

Were you able to find TDC within +/- 2° using this method?

Originally posted by lou_dias:
but if you didn't change your pistons, your compression ratio is ~7.5:1 instead of around 9+:1 ...

I have my iron-head V6 running with a 7.4:1 compression ratio, and it mostly runs fine, so I don't think that's the cause of OP's glowing manifold problem. But I don't know OP's exact compression ratio.

Initially, my engine did have overheating problems, but that was solved when I discovered the ignition timing was retarded by 17° relative to where it was supposed to be.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is puzzling to me.

If you outfitted a 3.5 with the Fiero heads, ECU and sensors, but used the injectors from the 3.5 I would expect the engine to run rich. The Fiero uses batch fire injection, while the 3.5 uses sequential injection. You are using the injectors from the 3.5 which should deliver the appropriate amount of fuel with a single cycle of the injector per power stroke of the engine. But now those injectors are firing 3 times for every power stroke of the engine.

Oh and the 3.5 got cam phasers/variable valve timing in 2007 for the Malibu/Saturn Aura/Pontiac G6.
Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are the injectors firing 3 times as much when they get the same pulse width from the 2.8 ecm as the 2.8 I injectors ?

------------------
SUPERMAN

Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kalel

27 posts
Member since May 2023
It's not running sequential injection if your not using the ECM to run the sequential injection

------------------
SUPERMAN

PFF
System Bot
Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kalel

27 posts
Member since May 2023
I believe it's got to be firing with the exhaust valves partly open cause the headers are about to melt off of it and the block is still ice cold

------------------
SUPERMAN

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe it's got to be firing with the exhaust valves partly open...

How could it be possible for an exhaust valve to be open at all when the piston is at TDC of the compression stroke... unless you're suggesting that the exhaust valves are never closed properly? But then, how would there be enough compression to actually fire?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-25-2023).]

Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not saying the valve timing is off
I'm saying it may be firing late
But I'm not sure
I know the valve timing is right or a valve would hit a piston

------------------
SUPERMAN

Kalel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KalelSend a Private Message to KalelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kalel

27 posts
Member since May 2023
Because I can rotate the distributor and it helps with the glowing but it don't want to stay running it's so weak

------------------
SUPERMAN

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And I have also wondered if valve adjustment might be different cause if the roller lifters and not flat ?

I adjusted the valves to spec for the 2.8...

Whether that works with the cam and lifters used in a 3.5 (which I believe is what you've used?) is beyond my knowledge level.

Out of curiosity, what was the spec you went by? I've noticed different specs posted for the 2.8's lifter pre-load.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-25-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36348 posts
Member since Apr 99

I believe it's got to be firing with the exhaust valves partly open...

I'm not saying the valve timing is off
I'm saying it may be firing late

You're suggesting that the plugs aren't firing until the exhaust valves are starting to open on the exhaust stroke? I don't think that's remotely possible for an engine that's actually running... even running badly!

I know the valve timing is right or a valve would hit a piston

Are the intake and exhaust valves rocking at TDC of the exhaust stroke?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-26-2023).]

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a 1987 fiero 2.8 liter I put a 2006 Pontiac G6 3.5 block with the 2.8 heads and intake but 5 mins idling the exhaust is glowing red what could be the problem ?

I'm not qualified to chime in but it seems you have the answer to that question because you have 25 years experience. The timing is too retarded at idle and you are right. If you have everything from the 2.8 and glowing the exhaust manifold you are firing the charge too late. Your 25 years experience would lead you to get a temp gun and make your idle temp at about 650-700F and see how the manifolds look like, they should not be glowing. If you make that happen and the manifolds are not glowing you are very close to your target.

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2023 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What iteration of the 3.5L do you have Kalel? There's the LZ4 which is a 3.9 bore with a 2.99 stroke and the LX9 that has a 3.7 bore and 3.31 stroke.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2023 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's either a timing issue/cam alignment or as someone else suggested, the valve lash was not set correctly and the exhaust valves are not fully closing...

I've seen power gains work weird when adjusting the distributor...it feels like you are gaining power buy making the timing worse but then it starts to lose power and vice versa.
I'd just pull the cap off and make sure when #1 is at tdc that the distributor is pointing at the #1 wire where your cap was. If it's not, your timing will never be right.

Another option is to ditch the distributor and go with a '7730 ECM conversion with DIS.

Also, this is a non-interference motor/head. Your valves will never hit the pistons even with bad timing.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-27-2023).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock