Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Ocelot Exhaust Install - How do you hang the muffler ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Ocelot Exhaust Install - How do you hang the muffler ? by ArthurPeale
Started on: 05-21-2023 07:54 PM
Replies: 17 (359 views)
Last post by: ArthurPeale on 05-24-2023 11:40 AM
ArthurPeale

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2023 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got the Ocelot exhaust. It came with hangers - but, I have no idea where they're supposed to bolt. The holes are quite large, and the old brackets had very small bolts holding them onto the frame.

Additionally, the old muffler had brackets holding it to the frame with springs - no brackets on the new muffler.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2023 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Might be some useful info in This thread.

Originally posted by Patrick:

I installed a factory ('85-'88 GT) dual-exhaust in my '84. Although the following shot is of my '86 GT, this is also how and where I mounted the rear hangers on both sides of the '84. What you're looking at here is the driver's side rear wheel well with the plastic liner removed. That's the inside on the rear bumper on the right. I drilled a hole in the frame on each side of the car to mount the hangers, and they're clamped to the exhaust tips just where they split into two. I like installing this type of hanger in this location as it gives me the ability to adjust the height of each exhaust tip in relation to the cut-outs in the bumper. The mounting is very secure and the spring suspension on each side of the muffler is not missed. When the wheel well liners are replaced, the hangers are no longer even noticeable.

Heavy duty hangers... Walker part # 36508

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2023 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, no more springs. You need to use the hangers instead.
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2023 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick seems to have drilled holes for these to bolt into. Urf. I thought these were supposed to just bolt on.

My brackets look similar, yet different on the end. The one pictured is curved. The ones I have have a flat hook.

------------------
Arthur Peale

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2023 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ArthurPeale:

Patrick seems to have drilled holes for these to bolt into. Urf.

"Urf"? Is drilling one hole on each side an issue?

There might be existing holes that would be sufficient for the hangers, but I wanted precise tailpipe positioning (up/down & left/right) on both sides.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-22-2023).]

ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2023 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because I wasn't expecting to drill any holes. I thought it was just bolt on. And my game in this particular area is...shakey.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2023 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't drill any holes to install mine. I used the holes that where there from the stock hangers. I did however purchase the Rodney Dickman stainless steel hangars. Depending on the year of your Fiero will determine what hangars you need. Exhaust Hangers
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2023 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

I didn't drill any holes to install mine. I used the holes that where there from the stock hangers. I did however purchase the Rodney Dickman stainless steel hangars. Depending on the year of your Fiero will determine what hangars you need. Exhaust Hangers

Same when you installed my Ocelot exhaust system.

ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2023 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

I'm trying to use the hangers that came with it. When I was at the Fiero Store talking to the fine folk there, they showed me a another set of hangers ( https://www.fierostore.com/...0%20%20LH&d=388&p=1) for an additional fee - but stated that they weren't necessary, the included hangers would work.

In the interests of saving the $40 on their word that I wouldn't need them, I passed.

Since they said these would work (their actual words were) "you'll see how they install when you get under there" I'd prefer to use them.

Now that I'm on an actual computer monitor, I can see much more detail from Patrick's photo. There are holes where the wheel well liner bolt in that might be used for that purpose - closer to the junction of the tailpipe and muffler.

But these hangers have a different end than the one Patrick has in his photo. Patrick's are curved and can clearly work with the design of the clamp. The ones that were included are flat. I'm concerned that if I tighten them down, that flat spot won't exert the clamping force needed, or worse, will break the pipe over time.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2023 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now that I'm on an actual computer monitor, I can see much more detail from Patrick's photo. There are holes where the wheel well liner bolt in that might be used for that purpose - closer to the junction of the tailpipe and muffler.

Those holes in the cradle are probably where the factory exhaust hangers attached. I used much stronger hangers and located them elsewhere as I wanted more control over where the tailpipes were positioned within the exhaust cutouts in the rear bumper cover.

There might be existing holes that would be sufficient for the hangers, but I wanted precise tailpipe positioning (up/down & left/right) on both sides.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2023 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36402 posts
Member since Apr 99

I'm trying to use the hangers that came with it. When I was at the Fiero Store talking to the fine folk there, they showed me a another set of hangers 85-87 V6 Tail Pipe Hanger for an additional fee - but stated that they weren't necessary, the included hangers would work.

In the interests of saving the $40 on their word that I wouldn't need them, I passed.

Even those $20 apiece hangers look weak. Remember, you no longer have any springs supporting the weight of the exhaust system!*

Compare them to the skookum Walker hangers I posted above that cost me $4 apiece (at the time). At least double the strength! I'd be interested in seeing the build quality of the hangers that came with the Ocelot exhaust. Can you post a photo of them?

*From Rodney Dickman's site...

NOTE ON EXHAUST HANGERS: The original Fiero exhaust systems and the exhaust hanger(s) are held in place with several springs. With more and more non OEM exhaust systems being installed today, many do not have the brackets required to reattach the factory springs in the correct locations if at all. In addition to this, many aftermarket exhaust systems weight more than the OEM systems.

The exhaust hangers are not designed to hold the complete exhaust system up. If you do not have the factory springs installed you must provide additional support for the muffler and exhaust pipes or the rubber piece(s) will fail.

PFF
System Bot
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Those holes in the cradle

I didn't indicate holes in the cradle. I said,

There are holes where the wheel well liner bolt in that might be used for that purpose

And, we're on the same page on those hanger add-ons - they won't break right away, but they will break. They're supplemental.

The hangers that were INCLUDED WITH PURCHASE look nearly identical to the ones you used - but the end is different. I'll see about posting a photo of them later.

One guy on Facebook took his to a muffler shop, where they cut off the brackets on the OEM muffler and welded them to the new muffler. Might do that, might just fab one out of sheet metal. I just don't understand why the new muffler -doesn't- have the brackets. Even the pipe that comes off the cat has a spring mount - they could have done something similar with the muffler and then it would essentially be plug and play.

this is my second foray into anything even remotely exhaust related, so before I do something I'll regret, I'll ask a ton of questions first, and then follow through.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't indicate holes in the cradle. I said...

I wasn't suggesting you did. I was giving you further information.

Those holes in the cradle are probably where the factory exhaust hangers attached.

sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed my ocelot system 5 years ago . what i did was salvage all the spring hangar brackets and welded them to my new system . I did this to allow flex to prevent cracks in the system. I also got rid of the clamps on the joints and welded them. It fits and looks good.
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Google Image hopping gave me this photo of the brackets - and, some insight.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

the brackets aren't as "flat" as I thought. To be fair, I was exhausted after a long day of work and couldn't see the forest because there were so many trees in the way.

Luckily, they're in my van (I'm at work ATM) so I popped out real quick to take a look. Yep - curved. The radius of the curve matches the bracket, but not the "U"
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since those are nothing like the factory hangers, you'll probably be drilling holes... unless you get lucky and can make use of existing holes somewhere.
gregr75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gregr75Send a Private Message to gregr75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't pay attention to the hanging scheme when I was taking apart my car… But do I have ocelot system? How is it different from stock?

ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gregr75:

I didn't pay attention to the hanging scheme when I was taking apart my car… But do I have ocelot system? How is it different from stock?

Hard to tell. Where the mounting brackets are on the muffler, the pipes are in the way, on that photo. But I think it might be, yes.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock