Dual Exhaust on 84 Duke by edfiero
Started on: 11-11-2015 09:26 PM
Replies: 10 (842 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 11-13-2015 07:49 AM
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just received my Dual exhaust from West Coast Fiero. It looks well made, but I have some questions about how to mount it.
The muffler doesn't have any of the brackets (to which the springs attach) to hold in place. Any suggestions on how to mount this thing? I was checking out the V6 exhaust hangers that Rodney has, but he specifically says they are not made to support the entire weight of the exhaust.

Also the bracket near the cat on the passenger side is entirely different than the stock 84 bracket which holds the springs. There is no where to hook the springs and it looks like is suppose to be bolted to something.

Anyone with any tips on how to put one of these in a 84? I searched and saw other threads about taking a stock V6 exhaust and putting it on an 84, but didn't see any specifics on using one from WCF.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy exhaust hangers that are clamped in place onto the pipe. Do a search for exhaust hangers at Summit Racing.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed a factory ('85-'88 GT) dual-exhaust in my '84. Although the following shot is of my '86 GT, this is also how and where I mounted the rear hangers on both sides of the '84. What you're looking at here is the driver's side rear wheel well with the plastic liner removed. That's the inside on the rear bumper on the right. I drilled a hole in the frame on each side of the car to mount the hangers, and they're clamped to the exhaust tips just where they split into two. I like installing this type of hanger in this location as it gives me the ability to adjust the height of each exhaust tip in relation to the cut-outs in the bumper. The mounting is very secure and the spring suspension on each side of the muffler is not missed. When the wheel well liners are replaced, the hangers are no longer even noticeable.

I found an image of the dual-exhaust system that years ago I put into my '84. It was posted in the following thread... v6 Exhaust on Duke?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-11-2015).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2015 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick. That picture of your rear hanger is helpful. I think I can do something like that as well.
Now I just need to figure out what to do with the bracket that came with these pipes on the passengers side near the cat. The bracket is in the same location as the stock 84 bracket for the springs, but its much bigger, probably about 4 inches long.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the bracket that came with these pipes on the passengers side near the cat.

I found the following Here. Is this what your dual-exhaust looks like?

Did you not get any instructions with the system explaining how best to make use of that attached "hanger"?

Mounting:
The WCF Exhaust System uses the stock, flexible Exhaust Tip Hangers with an additional hanger as pictured above. The mounting springs are no longer used. This mounting system uses the rear exhaust hangers to support the muffler and is more than adequate to support the system, allowing some flexibility for system movement.

Seems as though they agree with my previous assessment that the suspension springs on either side of the muffler are not necessary.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, That is what mine looks like. Where does that bracket in the top of the photo attach?

No, it came with zero instructions. Nada, Nothing, Bubkiss, zilch. It didn't even come in a box. They just slapped an address sticker right on the muffler.

The quote you have there mentions 'stock exhaust hanger' I think this assumes you are putting this system on a V6. The 84, 4 cylinder has no hanger in the rear, only the springs hold it. I'll have to buy some hangers like in your example and drill some holes.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

Yes, That is what mine looks like. Where does that bracket in the top of the photo attach?

No, it came with zero instructions. Nada, Nothing, Bubkiss, zilch. It didn't even come in a box. They just slapped an address sticker right on the muffler.

The quote you have there mentions 'stock exhaust hanger' I think this assumes you are putting this system on a V6. The 84, 4 cylinder has no hanger in the rear, only the springs hold it. I'll have to buy some hangers like in your example and drill some holes.

I believe '84 had holes in the subframe for the rear hangers, on both sides (I know the driver's side has them for sure). Indys came with dual exhaust setup, which would be the same as the '85-87... and even 86-87 SEs (4cyl) had dual exhaust.

If you get some factory hangers, you could probably make them work with the aftermarket system. I would look for 84-86 hangers, just off the top of my head, but I would need to double check the p22 book. I installed dual exhaust on multiple fieros.

Rodney sells stainless hangers...
http://www.rodneydickman.com/n86.html

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 11-12-2015).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Indy had dual exhausts and I believe the cat-back portion was the same as for the V6's, wasn't it? If that's true, then there should be mounting points in the cradle and on the body. I had to replace some missing spring on my first Fiero and I used some brake springs I got from the parts store. I can see how the WCF system couldn't use those.

ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman sells some nice stainless steel rear hangers...

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ag9123:

Rodney Dickman sells some nice stainless steel rear hangers...

I love Rodney's products, but did you read what he says about his hangers HERE ?

NOTE ON EXHAUST HANGERS: The original Fiero exhaust systems and the exhaust hanger(s) are held in place with several springs. With more and more non OEM exhaust systems being installed today, many do not have the brackets required to reattach the factory springs in the correct locations if at all. In addition to this, many aftermarket exhaust systems weight more than the OEM systems.

The exhaust hangers are not designed to hold the complete exhaust system up. If you do not have the factory springs installed you must provide additional support for the muffler and exhaust pipes or the rubber piece(s) will fail.

How are these going to help with the aftermarket system that the OP is installing?

I don't see the point in spending $70 (plus shipping) for hangers that Rodney himself says will fail with no springs supporting the muffler. On the other hand, I spent $12 (total for both sides) for clamps and the heavy duty hangers (Walker part # 36508, compare the rubber strapping!)... and five years later the dual-exhaust system on my '84 is still very much secure.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-03-2016).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2015 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

How are these going to help with the aftermarket system that the OP is installing?

I don't see the point in spending $70 (plus shipping) for hangers that Rodney himself says will fail with no springs supporting the muffler. On the other hand, I spent $12 (total for both sides) for clamps and the heavy duty hangers (compare the rubber strapping!)... and five years later the dual-exhaust system on my '84 is still very much secure.

Good info. I repaired/welded my own hangers and would beef up the rubber, when I had to. I could see where the "original" may not be strong enough and also, this protects Rodney from people saying his products don't work

The only down side is that yours attaches to the upper frame, not the subframe. Not that it matters a whole lot, as not many people drop the subframe without looking for such hang ups.

If going aftermarket, there are many, many options. I would also recommending heading to a muffler shop and looking at the different types of hangers they have. I had an exhaust put on my old truck and the hangers he used looked OEM (modern vehicles) with rubber blocks and rods that are welded in place.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock