Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Misfire, where do i go from here. (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Misfire, where do i go from here. by Dukesterpro
Started on: 02-09-2023 10:45 AM
Replies: 172 (2354 views)
Last post by: Dukesterpro on 05-02-2023 08:19 AM
Dukesterpro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2023 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Headgasket is on and multiple problems have gone away.

No more misfire. No more smoke. The only issues left are the high idle when hot and a exhaust leak that is currently being fixed.

I still notice trace amount of milkshake in the PCV boot. Nothing on the dipstick though and nothing on the cap. It did just get hot and humid here so maybe it has something to do with that. Not sure. No smoke or water out the pipe though.
IP: Logged
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2023 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dukesterpro:

Headgasket is on and multiple problems have gone away.

No more misfire. No more smoke. The only issues left are the high idle when hot and a exhaust leak that is currently being fixed.

I still notice trace amount of milkshake in the PCV boot. Nothing on the dipstick though and nothing on the cap. It did just get hot and humid here so maybe it has something to do with that. Not sure. No smoke or water out the pipe though.

The duke cyl head is VERY prone to cracking, unfortunately. Did you have it magnafluxed? I didn't see if you addressed this. This would be my only concern.
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2023 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did have it magnufluxed and it checked out ok. However, it must not have been the headgasket as once more I had a violent sudden overheat while on the highway. Like she jumped from operating temp to red hot within 10 seconds. Once again. Coolant in the oil. This time I immediately removed the valve cover and saw a white spray pattern that matched the rockers. However the oil dipstick doesnt show any significant water milkshake. Im guessing its probably a water pump gasket or something else. At this point I dont care. Im feeling a 350 swap is in my future.

Thanks for all the help. We can consider this matter closed.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2023 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How bout an LZ9 (3900, 3.9L V6)? They are cheap (got mine for $350), sound good (60* V6), bolt up to stock trans and use a stock 88 V6 flywheel and clutch (cheap), and a modified V6 front mount can make it fit on the stock cradle, though the hump in the cradle front crossmember will have to be removed (common mod).

Fitment issues are the stock coolant fill hits the decklid, and the alt hits the decklid. Both could be fit by clearancing the decklid (common with swaps), or you could relocate them. The stock oil filter is also too long and hits the front crossmember, but a short one is available that fits with no modification. A dogbone bracket will need to be made. A fuel pump and splicing the wiring harnesses will be required as with all swaps.

Fits like a stock V6 in the engine bay with room to work on things, very strong motor with great oiling and great cooling, has amazing flowing heads; it is basically a baby LS motor and shares a lot of the tech. I have LS1 valve springs, keepers, and retainers in mine. Has VVT for a very wide torque curve. It is lighter than a stock 2.8, and way lighter than a 3800SC or a 350.

Stock power is 250hp 250ftlbs.

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 04-18-2023).]

Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2023 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a bad option, especially since Archies prices just shot up 300 dollars. What would I need to do for mounts? Also thats probably going to be a wiring nightmare. I was wanting something carbureted

[This message has been edited by Dukesterpro (edited 04-18-2023).]

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2023 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just need to make a dogbone bracket and like I said you can use a V6 front mount bracket that bolts to the engine, but it needs some holes re-drilled and some angle grinding for clearance. The wiring really is not bad, most of the wiring is stock wiring for the LZ9, and then you need to pull power for the injectors, power for the ECU, and power for the ignition coils from the C500/C203. These are all things already there that you just need to tie into. You will want to send speedo info to the ECU most likely, and probably Tach signal from the ECU to the tach, which is just a wire that goes into the C500. You will also send coolant temp signal to the C500 to run the gauge (can add a stock Fiero one if you want) and the ECU will probably output the signal to turn the fan on that will also be a wire that goes to the C500.

Here is a thread I made to help make the wiring seem less mysterious, once you take the time to go through it, it is really simple.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/146677.html

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2023 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zkhennings

1922 posts
Member since Oct 2010
Here you go RE mounting in the simplest manner possible

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...130314-2-114166.html
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2023 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did have it magnufluxed and it checked out ok. However, it must not have been the headgasket as once more I had a violent sudden overheat while on the highway. Like she jumped from operating temp to red hot within 10 seconds. Once again. Coolant in the oil. This time I immediately removed the valve cover and saw a white spray pattern that matched the rockers. However the oil dipstick doesnt show any significant water milkshake. Im guessing its probably a water pump gasket or something else. At this point I dont care. Im feeling a 350 swap is in my future.

Thanks for all the help. We can consider this matter closed.

I'm so sorry man, I realize how much of a pain in the butt it is. But if you are looking for options, engine swaps are where it's at. There's a LOT of motor options that will basically drop right in.

You can even do a Quad-4 / TwinCam... you only need to fab a motor mount since the ones for the Getrag will fit with the 5-Speed from the TwinCam / Quad-4. Or yeah... you could go with a big boy engine swap. Lots of options... whatever you do, don't give up on the car!
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car can die when I say it can die.

I just threw a can of copper based head gasket sealer in it, which dramatically slowed down whatever the leak was. I think a 350 swap is in my future. I don't know enough about the quad 4. the car is just such a nice survivor it would be a waste to part out.
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2023 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Iron Duke Removed

I found a cradle wired and plumbed ready to go with a 3.4DOHC.

Goodbye tractor engine.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm really hoping the 3.4DOHC doesn't have a misfire.
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Iron Duke Removed

Goodbye tractor engine.

Nice! It already has everything on it? Transmission, engine, suspension, etc? That's really sweet. Any pictures?

What are you going to do for engine management?
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2023 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm really hoping the 3.4DOHC doesn't have a misfire.

That joke hurt me in a deep way. lol.

And yes it has everything except the suspension. It came out of one of those Fiero/308GTS kit things. A Miera? You know what I'm talking about. So it has coolant lines in the right spot. Exhaust. Sway Bar, Wiring all the way to the C500 connector, a engine computer and a box with a sinister performance chip tune thingy. It also came with 3 other LQ1 engines. So it was quite the package. I'm going to replace the timing belt, and do a few other do dads and whatchamacallits on the engine and drop it in next week sometime.

[This message has been edited by Dukesterpro (edited 05-02-2023).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock