Turn signals in dash by sdgdf
Started on: 12-17-2022 11:12 PM
Replies: 4 (264 views)
Last post by: theogre on 12-19-2022 06:19 PM
sdgdf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2022 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sdgdfSend a Private Message to sdgdfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having problems with my turn signals. 88 coupe. When I got it a week ago, only one marker light worked, and the turn signals worked fine but only the left would light up in the dash. I cleaned the marker sockets and replaced bulbs, now they all work, and I replaced the left light in the dash and it worked, then right bulb stopped working. No luck after changing the bulb. Now NEITHER work. Turn signals both work fine, flashers work. I can hear the chime/clicker work if it’s quiet (it isn’t, car is loud). No idea now for what to do. One clue, the high beams won’t click and stay on, is my turn signal stalk bad or something?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2022 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never heard of a stalk going bad. I know they can break. I would look at the switch itself. If it's not clicking it probably needs replaced.
Study long before taking this apart.

This may help..
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...110502-2-107211.html

Spoon
------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 12-18-2022).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2022 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stalk would break completely for that.

turn and beam switches are way different parts and both could be bad.

For turn and HL lights the wiring can be bad.
Example: has grounds screwed to "frame" near both HL assemblies that fail.
Clean/fix them and coat w/ silicone or brake grease.

Raise HL then unplug motors to access the grounds.

Any socket w/ 2057 etc can have Sneak Path problems in my Cave
pull bulbs out of fixture to see filaments on or not.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

sdgdf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2022 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sdgdfSend a Private Message to sdgdfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Stalk would break completely for that.

turn and beam switches are way different parts and both could be bad.

For turn and HL lights the wiring can be bad.
Example: has grounds screwed to "frame" near both HL assemblies that fail.
Clean/fix them and coat w/ silicone or brake grease.

Raise HL then unplug motors to access the grounds.

Any socket w/ 2057 etc can have Sneak Path problems in my Cave
pull bulbs out of fixture to see filaments on or not.

The stalk won’t click to keep the high beams on.

I reseated the connector behind the cluster, the one on the console side, cause I was tracking a tach issue and now the signal lights work. Florida car seems to have corroded connections.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2022 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sdgdf:
The stalk won’t click to keep the high beams on.
Often because Beam on the S-column is bad, loose or adjusted wrong. Or Worse start of problems of the S-column itself needing much more work and soon.

Beam switch Shares Nothing w/ the turn lights except you moving the stalk to switch beams.

Is mounted w/ I-switch that starts and runs the car.
Both have three nuts/bolts to mount. say 1 2 3 for now 1 toward the front of car.
1 2 are use by I-switch.
2 3 are use by beam switch.
Do Not touch 1 when adjusting/replacing the beam switch.

But if you have loose or bad column parts then you adjusting beam switch won't help now or in longer term.
Besides infamous 4 bolts that get loose, other things can wear/break making beam, ignition or both switches fail to work right if they work at all.
See my Cave, Steering or search pff

4 column bolts get loose because fools abuse the column and S-wheel letting tilt assem to slam, use S-wheel as handle and put a lot of weight getting in/out of car, etc bending the metal the bolts attach the upper to middle sections.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock