Build update - 4T80 3800 Turbo by LFiero67
Started on: 01-29-2022 06:31 PM
Replies: 62 (1647 views)
Last post by: LFiero67 on 04-16-2024 08:39 PM
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2023 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks slick!

If I may ask, what is the brand/model of the fuse box you have mounted on that panel?

Mike had one similar to that in his parts bins, and we used it in my car. I haven't been able to find an exact replacement - most of the ones I find have LED indicator lights that are always on when there is power. Yours doesn't seem to have that issue. Thanks!
IP: Logged
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2023 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was a “ShinePick” off Amazon.

Do you have the ground side of the box hooked up to ground? Led should only turn on if the fuse blows. It seems to work, I popped one fuse to try it. Yours might just be faulty?

------------------
10.007 @ 135.54MPH. <-- Video
Best 60' 1.42
Best mph 138.82
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 140lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, stock L32 bottom end and heads.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2023 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion, the unit we are using doesn't have the LED indicator lights. The replacements I was looking at seemed to indicate that the LEDs were there to let you know there was power, not a blown fuse.

If that's the case, that changes things dramatically. lol.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2023 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds great!
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2023 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was slowed down by a concussion this summer but finally got enough bits and pieces together for an update.

2 16X8 rims from 90s GTP were cleaned sanded and painted along with 2 Fiero 15x7s. This gives me similar wheels front and rear and the 16X8s have the correct 5x115 bolt pattern for my larger rear hubs. 255/50R16 drag radials will be mounted on them soon and installed on car.

16s on right/bottom, Fiero rims on Left/top

Finished the wastegate dump pipe, other than cutting tip once bumper is reinstalled.

Installed 2 new “front” 3800 valve covers with -10AN oil fill hole adapters and ran breather hoses to new catch can/breather.

Got my intercooler mounted in its final home, this is the same PT1001 intercooler I have run since I installed turbo. 1” water lines ran from 5 gallon tank which houses a Rule 2000 GPH pump, mounted in front trunk. This is same tank/pump I ran previously, but now mounted away from the heat of the engine bay. Also did not have a FMHE on last setup which was not great for street use, especially when water was being heated by exhaust as well as intercooler. 1” line run to front of car where I have mounted the Fluidyne front mount heat exchanger that I used to run with the blower intercooler. This is a FMHE designed for 2003 mustang Cobras, all aluminum, 5 row, 21.6" L x 6.45" H x 3.5" D. I created new mount tabs and had 1” nipples installed on each tank to replace the 3/4” ones that are normally on these. Also added the vent fitting off a 3800 thermostat housing to the FMHE for bleeding air from it, was able to clear the full system of air very quickly.

Can see the transmission cooler and fan mounted to front of cradle here. Not visible is the new 260 amp alternator, same DG44 style alternator that can be seen in previous posts. This alternator is 4 wire and will be enabled by the Sloppy Mechanics 4in1 harness that I installed. Harness provides excite signal to alternator, plug and play boost control solenoid and wiring to Holley, configurable 8 position dial (see below) and flex fuel sensor wiring(not used in my application).

All the Cold side plumbing was reconfigured for the new intercooler and turbo location, boost control solenoid is mounted, BOV and wastegate plumbed, new silicone vacuum hose to Fuel pressure regulator and boost gauge, 8 position rotary knob installed between window switches which will allow boost adjustment on the fly. I “broke” the factory performance shift button on the GTP shifter handle I use, it is now a momentary switch instead of a latching button, this will control the 2-step, launch retard, launch boost etc in the Terminator X Max. I was also able to test the transmission control from theTermX and with some minor tweaks to the pressure control it now shifts smoothly into reverse and drive, and does shift gears as programmed.

------------------
Best 60' 1.42
Best mph 138.82
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 140lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, stock L32 bottom end and heads.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

[This message has been edited by LFiero67 (edited 10-12-2023).]

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2023 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice progress. I'm sorry to hear about the concussion, though!

I was looking at the Terminator Max when I was first looking up ECU/TCU combos. Mike had a line on a lightly used FAST setup for the ECU, and sold me on how they are rebuildable, versus if something goes wrong in a Terminator, it's a full replacement.

Hearing how you've not hit the transmission issues we've had with the last FAST controller, I'm regretting not going with the Terminator.
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2023 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What issue did you have? I haven’t truly driven the car yet, just confirmed that it shifts out of first, and I think I made it to 3rd. 4th and lock-up still to be confirmed.

I set the final drive ratio up to take into account the different number of teeth on the 4T80 reluctor and that the 4L80 is pre-diff vs post diff on the FWD trans.

In the end I set the rear gear ratio to 0.75 and that has the speedo accurate at least at low speed that I was able to test at. Might need a tweak once the car is on the road and I can check at 60mph.

[This message has been edited by LFiero67 (edited 09-14-2023).]

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2023 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We had/have a variety of issues.

With the FAST TCU (made for them by a company called TCI, I think), we tried to do the same, starting with the 4L80 file and editing it to put in the right gear ratio for all the gears and final drive. It would not see VSS input when we drove it (so stuck in first). In our testing, we went as far as to jack up Mike's truck and wire his VSS across to my car, and getting it over 5mph to see if it would see the signal. It didn't.

Then for the sake of leaving no stone unturned, we loaded up the 4L60 tune, set the gears... and it saw VSS. So something with the VSS signal that the computer was expecting from a 4L80 is different than what is being sent by the 4T80 (but the same as the 4L60). Sort of like an earlier oversight of ours where we left in a Crankshaft sensor for a 52x, even though we had a 24x crank in there.

Anyhow, we then continued to kitbash the 4L60 file, we even tracked down a former engineer that worked for the company and he helped us tweak the BIN and confirm our wiring. The transmission seemed to be working, we were doing side-street driving to check the engine tune... and in less than 25 (total, not even in one day) miles the transmission started acting like it was overheating, slipping, not going forward or backward, only working in "limp home mode" after sitting for a while, and sometimes not even then. This started up after being on the road with it for only a few miles.

So we are now on another transmission controller. Limp home and first seem to be working, though we have a VSS issue again and found some wiring issues we missed because the wiring schema for the pigtail going from transmission to harness from FAST is different than the stock GM, which is what the new TCU seems to use. After we thought we fixed all the wiring issues, still have a VSS issue. So need to dig in the file again and maybe reach out to the dealer through which we bought it (he's been pretty good with post-sales support).
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2023 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something else I thought of that we ran into an issue with when trying to kitbash the 4L80 and 4L60 tunes to work on the 4T80.

The tuning software had a number of ways for the TCU to know the vehicle speed (the VSS is what feeds the speedometer in our setup, it doesn't tell the TCU how fast the car is moving).
We found the default method was to use the Drive Shaft RPM Speed Input field. So we played with the setting for it till it was more accurately seeing the vehicle speed (or at least was a lot closer). We changed it from it's default (I don't recall the value right now) to "10" and it was pretty close. Probably still off a little, but we were more worried about getting it to shift correctly. Before we did that, it would not shift out of 1st at all, because the TCU was seeing the wrong speed value (at ~20 mph, it was reading 5 mph)

If you logged that your car shifted out of first, then the Terminator might read vehicle speed through another sensor point or calculation (or maybe via the VSS! ). I wanted to bring it up in case you did find that your vehicle speed was not displaying correctly.

Please keep us updated! We're still fighting to get my second transmission to behave with the second (different company) TCU, so I'm getting closer to just socking away money for the Terminator Max.

If you get your transmission to run properly, I may need to bribe you for a copy of your tune or transmission settings.
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2023 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Termx Max is getting vehicle speed from the VSS signal. I posted the settings above. Because of location of Vss sensor on FWD, vs RWD transmissions (ie after diff vs before diff) and different number of teeth on the reluctor wheels, I have set the diff ratio to 0.75. This gives pcm the equivalent speed calculation to a pre-diff 4L80 and allows it to shift at the speeds I am requesting. You should be able to do something similar with yours, unless the settings are locked to pre-defined gear ratios or something. Is there somewhere I can see the software your using?
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2023 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's cool that you can use the VSS to tell the Terminator what the vehicle speed is.

Here is a link to the software we are using for the current Powertrain Control Solutions controller (which is an off the shelf software that's also branded and used by FAST TCU).

https://www.powertraincontr...0_Tuning-Install.exe

It doesn't come with any .bin files pre-installed, we had to get the base file through the dealer. Here is one of our latest attempts:
https://drive.google.com/fi.../view?usp=drive_link

When you open the .bin, in order to see all the granular settings, in the menu bar click on "Software Setup" > "Tuning Mode" > "Advanced" (it defaults to basic everytime).
The drill down menu on the left will change. To see the stuff about the speedometer and various settings the TCU can use to watch vehicle speed, expand "Hardward Setup" > "Speeds". Then double click on "Speed input selections" and "speed input pulses". Feel free to check out all the other stuff in there, too!
PFF
System Bot
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2023 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ll try and take a look in the next few days and see if I can figure anything out.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2023 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Thank you, I appreciate that. I figured you were just curious about the differences in tuning ability and how the two TCUs varied.

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2023 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up my Black Friday purchase today. This is based on the converter I had in the 4T65 previously. Should allow me to spool the turbo on the line, but should couple slightly better.

Drivetrain is currently out of the car so I can fix my leaking head studs and install the converter.

[This message has been edited by LFiero67 (edited 12-06-2023).]

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2023 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Is that a Precision Industries torque converter? I don't know how common it is for those to be painted purple.

They took the 'guts' of the 4T80 and put it inside a 4T65 shell for me, so that I could have a billet case to help prevent ballooning / case-kaboom.
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2023 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a precision. They built my 4t65 converter for use with the o-ring less GM Racing input shaft. Took the data I had from that converter and made this one.

Stock 4T80 converter I could get 1800 rpm before pushing through brakes, no turbo spooling at that speed. This should go to 3000-3200 like the 4t65 one I had, but should couple a bit better at redline.

Saw an email this morning that precision has been purchased by a holding company that also owns pro-torque.
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2024 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the drivetrain back in the car after installing the new converter, cleaning up some vacuum/coolant hoses and sealing the old engine wiring harness pass through on the fire wall. Leaking head studs were swapped out for new stock head bolts. Installed a pressure transducer on transmission line pressure port and wired that up to the Holley. Installed a new eBay Air to water intercooler to replace my leaking precision. Finished the wastegate pipe, wrapped the rest of the exhaust and put a blanket on the wastegate. Engine bay is pretty well finished up now. I will probably put an upper dog bone mount in to take some of the torque off the subframe, and brace the exhaust near the turbo to prevent cracking. Need to finish putting the interior back together, and finish the mounting the ballasts to complete the embrace racing headlight install. Going to finish idle and off idle tuning then look at getting it on dyno to do drivability and WOT.

Feels pretty good to have the car this close to complete, this summer it should hit the road for the first time since 2016.

------------------
Best 60' 1.42
Best mph 138.82

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

[This message has been edited by LFiero67 (edited 01-15-2024).]

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2024 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven’t shared any pictures of the car since I started wrapping it last fall. Now that it has been seen in public, the cats out of the bag. Huge amount of work has gone into bringing this back to the street. It has been surreal driving it again after so long.

[This message has been edited by LFiero67 (edited 04-16-2024).]

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2024 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LFiero67

870 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Photo dump of wrap process

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2024 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LFiero67

870 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Finished shots

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2024 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LFiero67

870 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Insured and registered car for the first time since 2016 this past weekend. I’ve put about 125km on it, running the 3800 turbo and 4T80 with the Holley Terminator X. Just idle and part throttle tuning right now with a 4lb spring in wastegate. Runs extremely well, shifts through all 4 gears and applies the torque converter clutch. I will try and upload some video the next time I have it out.

Super happy with the result and surprised a lot of locals.

------------------
Best 60' 1.42
Best mph 138.82

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2024 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's awesome news! Congratulations!

I can't wait to see the numbers you put down with it at the track. Hopefully I'll be able to see it in person sometime. Maybe at the 45th Fiero Anniversary!
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2024 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure I’ll take it back to the track. It’s a lot of stuff to buy/update to make it legal for 10.0 again. I’ll run some airport 1/8 mile events, the local 100’ race and enjoy it on the street. Unless I think it is going to run a 9, I don’t see going back to track. With the extra 150lbs I’ve added, I’m not sure a 9 is possible.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock