Rusted out upper frame rail repair suggestions by A_Lonely_Potato
Started on: 01-21-2022 02:09 PM
Replies: 12 (613 views)
Last post by: Jhines142 on 08-24-2022 06:38 PM
A_Lonely_Potato

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all, while pulling off my rear wheel well liners a bit ago, I was shocked to find my driver upper frame rail(and almost certainly passenger rail) is completely rusted out. This is something I really should have found when purchasing the car, but my nerves had the better of me with it being my first car. There were a lot of things i missed. Anyways, I plan to clean up whats left of the frame rail and fix it. I have a couple ideas for how to go about it, but would like to get the opinions of those much more experienced than I am.

This is how badly gone the rail is:

As you can see, the trunk is also starting to get pretty bad, but I wanted to keep the thread more focused.

My primary idea is to clean and square up what is left of the rail, and weld in a bracket somewhat like this:

(The blue cylinder is just a reference point of the strut tower)

Its just a rough example, but I feel it gets the point across. Of course I will be POR-15-ing everything I put in. If anyone has suggestions or better ideas I am all ears!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once you start cutting into it, you'll probably find a lot less rail than you expect.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...160323-2-121544.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...130314-2-120904.html
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some kind soul posted this a while back and it provides the dimensions for making a new frame rail.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

A_Lonely_Potato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Once you start cutting into it, you'll probably find a lot less rail than you expect.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...160323-2-121544.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...130314-2-120904.html

Yikes! Really hoping I don't run into that much, but I suppose I should be planning for the worst.

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Some kind soul posted this a while back and it provides the dimensions for making a new frame rail.

Wonderful, I've saved the image in the event that there isn't enough material to salvage the remainder of the rail. Thanks!

PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here’s my mess… the one pic of the new metal is not finished , it did eventually get boxed in.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to be a party pooper... but are you sure it is worth the time and hassle? There are still a decent number of rust free Fieros lurking in the southern states. May be a lot easier to find another car than trying to fix up one that is so badly rotten. Your time has value too, remember that

PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2022 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me it was less time consuming to just fix it. The rest of the metal on the car is in great shape..
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2022 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can weld and do metal work then doing a repair is the most cost effective way to go. There really isn't that much metal back there. It's also nice to see another Fiero saved. If you're not a competent welder (or don't have a friend who is competent welder) then you'd be safer just switching to solid southern Fiero. Of course, where I live it can be extremely hard to find a reasonably priced rust free Fiero, and so saving what you have is often the only choice.
A_Lonely_Potato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2022 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Not to be a party pooper... but are you sure it is worth the time and hassle? There are still a decent number of rust free Fieros lurking in the southern states. May be a lot easier to find another car than trying to fix up one that is so badly rotten. Your time has value too, remember that

For the meantime I am. I'm lucky enough to be in a position that this project isn't hurting me, and I really would like to keep this car for a good while. Still got a lot of plans for it

Originally posted by PhatMax:

For me it was less time consuming to just fix it. The rest of the metal on the car is in great shape..

Unless I am vastly underassuming how long this will take, I can't imagine it taking that long really. I have the rest of michigan winter to get it welded all together, and that's just so I'm able to drive it in the spring/summer. If it takes longer than that, its not the end of the world

Originally posted by Neils88:

If you can weld and do metal work then doing a repair is the most cost effective way to go. There really isn't that much metal back there. It's also nice to see another Fiero saved. If you're not a competent welder (or don't have a friend who is competent welder) then you'd be safer just switching to solid southern Fiero. Of course, where I live it can be extremely hard to find a reasonably priced rust free Fiero, and so saving what you have is often the only choice.

I'm confident enough in my welding that I trust myself for it. I've seen enough of my welds get bent and pass flawlessly while i'm finishing up my Welding Technology Certificate in school. If need be, I can make new frame rails with the specs Dennis shared. I would just prefer it doesn't come to that!
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2022 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're getting certified in welding, then just look at this like practice.

The rust doesn't look *too* bad.
A_Lonely_Potato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2022 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

If you're getting certified in welding, then just look at this like practice.

The rust doesn't look *too* bad.

That's what I was thinking, it doesn't seem like a new rail is needed. I just wasn't sure if my idea would be strong enough, so i figured id ask on here if anyone knows for sure

I figured with it being pretty thin metal on the rail, what I put in would be plenty stiff to keep from bending. Looks like about 1/16" steel, and I was planning to use 1/8"
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2022 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't get the upper frame rails too stiff.
The space frame is stamped, shaped, spot welded as a laminate in certain areas specifically to crush in an impact to protect the passenger cocoon.
The upper frame rails do not need to be that heavy, as there is not much weight being supported - the construction geometry provides the rigidity that is needed.

You don't want to get speared by an upper frame rail in a rear end collision.

I've replaced the rusted areas on several Fieros over the years, and continue to be amazed at the engineering of the space frame.
Jhines142

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2022 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jhines142Send a Private Message to Jhines142Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So do you need to brace anything to keep the back end square when cutting and replacing the upper frame rails?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock