Using rubyredfiero's thread and blueprint found here://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-068409.html
I set out to build a new pair of frame rails so I could get my car driveable again. Both rails are rotted out and in need of replacement. Here's how I built the frame rail:
First, the car. Driver's side isn't NEARLY as bad as the passenger side. This is what a Michigan daily driver looks like after 28 years:
Starting with a 2" square tubing 4ft long, 14 gauge steel (couldn't get 16 gauge locally), spent about 45 minutes removing all the mill scale from the outside of the rail, so the paint will stick to it, and there is a nice clean metal surface to draw on, and weld to later. Used a cup-type wire wheel in a grinder.
Next, I started transfering the measurements from the blueprint to the rail. Starting on the top, measuring over 19", drawing a straight line using a rafter angle square, to make sure the line is perpendicular to the piece, drawing the lines on all four sides, and using a small protractor to get the angles correct, which turned out to be 9, 11, 5, and 25 degrees, respectively
Then, using a cutting wheel in the grinder to cut inside the area to be removed, following the lines to remove the pieces.
All pieces cut out and removed
Next, I tack welded the pieces together.
Checked the angles against the blueprint using a level and angle finder
And by holding it up to the car to see how well it matches (what's left of) the current rail
Since the angles are all correct, I welded the seams, in my case, heat setting 3, speed 30, gas 32 scfh argon/co2 mix, with 0.030 wire
Finally, I ground down the weld on that side, all looks good
Now just need to cut it to fit the car, and weld it in, and since this is going on the driver's side, add the notch for the filler neck. Total time to make the second rail was about 3 hours start to finish.
------------------1984 Fiero SE
[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 01-31-2012).]