84 5 speed swap- what parts are needed? by 842m4SE
Started on: 11-14-2021 02:46 AM
Replies: 3 (124 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 11-15-2021 06:41 PM
842m4SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2021 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 842m4SESend a Private Message to 842m4SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my 84 either the clutch or transaxle is going out - 90% sure the clutch, but for that job it looks like the whole cradle is going to have to come out, with the engine and trans etc etc etc.... that'll be a fun job.

Anyways, while all that is out I'm thinking of doing a 5 speed swap to replace my M19 so I can go on the highway at less than 3700 rpm. That or a 2.8 swap but that needs a bit more research.
What all is needed to swap one of the 5 speeds in? I've heard shift cables, a new clutch, and possibly transmission mounts but that seems a bit too convenient as a Fiero owner... What else would be needed, and is this even a good idea? Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2021 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2.8 requires a lot of work due to the specific wiring of the 84. The transmission swap would essentially require a 5-speed shifter, the cables specific to the transmission, a throwout bearing specific to the transmission, and you can install the larger diameter clutch used in the 2.8 Fieros for better grabbing power and longer life. You will need the transmission mounting brackets for the particular transmission, and a slave cylinder for that particular transmission. You will need to redirect power for your backup lights from the switch on the shifter inside the console to the backup light switch that will be in the transmission of the 5-speeds.

To be sure you get the right combination of parts order your slave cylinder from Rodney Dickman. Correct part and top quality. For the clutch and pressure plate, if you want to put in the Getrag, just order a kit for an 87 or 88 V6. This is because the 85 and 86 had all 3 transmissions among them and sometimes parts house information isn't correct. If you want to use the larger clutch and pressure plate in an Isuzu applicaton, it would require you to order an Isuzu throwout bearing separately.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2021 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Swapping in a 5-speed Isuzu or Getrag is about the same. See here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...110-2-038203.html#p1

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-15-2021).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2021 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In fierosound's link, the writer says to use the Isuzu clutch package, but the V6 clutch and pressure plate will fit. Same external dimensions on the pressure plate and same bolt pattern.

Also, a writer described cables interfering with the accelerator cable. This applies only to the V6 installation of an Isuzu transmission. I had Isuzu transmissions installed in 2 of my GT's. Cables were routed OVER the throttle body and intake tube and that eliminated the interference issue and also eliminated the hard bend in the cables that occurs when the cables are routed underneath the throttle body intake tube.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock