'88 GT suspension rebuild by JOE 4RE
Started on: 10-07-2021 05:31 AM
Replies: 11 (402 views)
Last post by: JOE 4RE on 10-29-2021 08:53 AM
JOE 4RE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JOE 4RESend a Private Message to JOE 4REEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't drive my '88 GT any this year because the suspension sounds like it's about ready to fall out of the car! I'm assuming it's time to replace all the 34 year old rubber bushings and that sounds like the ideal winter project. Has anyone tackled this recently to know exactly what is and isn't available and is there a list someplace that would tell all the rubber bushing locations on an '88?

THANKS

------------------
JOE 4RE
'88 Fiero GT
Med. Red Metallic
loaded 5 speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87_special

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the bushings are available in polyurethane and some in rubber. The only real hard to find parts are the wheel bearings and brake calipers. Shocks and struts are readily available but mostly just stock replacements.

Suspension.com I've ordered poly from this company a last year. Good prices on the poly kits, but the steering parts can be had cheaper from Rockauto. I recommend you get them from Rodney Dickman for superior quality steering and suspension parts. He also sells rubber suspension bushing if you don't want poly. Lastly, Fiero Store for things that can't be found elsewhere. Parts are a little pricey but they have some hard to find pieces and are generally good quality.

Good luck with your winter project!

-Joe Cooley
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Overhauled my entire 88 suspension a few years ago, big difference in handling and super happy with the result.

Get the poly bushings and the shocks from Fierostore! All the ball joints (I went with the one inch drop lower ball joint), tie rods, and zero lash end links from Rodney Dickman.

When you install the bushings, make sure you use the included white grease to install them on all surfaces that rub or it will squeak like mad. Tons of threads about installing the bushings here with a search!

I'd also reccommend doing the steering rack bushing, stock is plastic and the new one Rodney sells is brass. Can do it in the car, also threads about it here!

Good luck with the project!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JOE 4RE:

Didn't drive my '88 GT any this year because the suspension sounds like it's about ready to fall out of the car! I'm assuming it's time to replace all the 34 year old rubber bushings and that sounds like the ideal winter project. Has anyone tackled this recently to know exactly what is and isn't available and is there a list someplace that would tell all the rubber bushing locations on an '88?

THANKS

I just did the complete rear end of my '88. Getting the old bushings out can be a pain, so I came up with a simple, cheap way to do it, quickly. I posted this several months ago, but I will post it here for you. It consists of a 3 inch carriage bolt with nut and flat washer, a puller, vise and a battery drill. Basically, use a center punch to put a dimple in the center of the head of the carriage bolt to keep the puller centered. Get the puller set up as shown in the pictures below and use your drill to spin the puller. The carriage bolt will push the old metal bushing completely out of the rubber. Then you can cut the old rubber piece out. I used a Sawzall to do this.

[img]//images.fiero.nl/userimages/eti%2520engineer/CUTTING%20AND%20REMOVING%20RUBBER%20IN%20BUSHING.jpg[/img

[This message has been edited by eti engineer (edited 10-12-2021).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eti engineer:

[IMG]//images.fiero.nl/userimages/eti%2520engineer/CUTTING%20AND%20REMOVING%20RUBBER%20IN%20BUSHING.jpg[/IMG

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 10-12-2021).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did this a few years ago and can tell you there are no direct rubber replacements for the rears - HOWEVER - you can still replaced the rears with rubber being creative.

I don't recall the specifics exactly but I believe there is a thread on here with the parts to use. I will look through my paper work I see if I have it. I myself prefer rubber over poly as I have used poly on my 86 and it requires maintenance every year or 2 depending on how much and where you drive the car (conditions).

Edit:

Here is the thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121294.html

I also see Rodney now sells a kit.
https://rodneydickman.com/p....php?products_id=358

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 10-12-2021).]

kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87_special:

All the bushings are available in polyurethane and some in rubber. The only real hard to find parts are the wheel bearings and brake calipers. Shocks and struts are readily available but mostly just stock replacements.

Suspension.com I've ordered poly from this company a last year. Good prices on the poly kits, but the steering parts can be had cheaper from Rockauto. I recommend you get them from Rodney Dickman for superior quality steering and suspension parts. He also sells rubber suspension bushing if you don't want poly. Lastly, Fiero Store for things that can't be found elsewhere. Parts are a little pricey but they have some hard to find pieces and are generally good quality.

Good luck with your winter project!

-Joe Cooley

Alright, we will check Rodney's website for suspension parts. Got to finish installing the bumper and fender flares on the Silverado this week before we can clear the garage for the incoming Fiero GT project. We'll start with the suspension rebuild as well.
JOE 4RE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2021 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JOE 4RESend a Private Message to JOE 4REEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suspension bushing info! Now, how about the cradle and transmission bushings.... should they be replaced as well or are they a bit more robust than the suspension bushings? And the steering rack, is it hard mounted or bushed as well?

As always, appreciate the information and tips!

------------------
JOE 4RE
'88 Fiero GT
Med. Red Metallic
loaded 5 speed

oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check Craigs List for a used shop press. When I was working on my '88 rear I did and found a 10 ton press for $80. It pressed the bushings out no problem. There are little to no cost alternatives, sure. If you can get lucky and get a press, well, it is a handy tool to have in your tool bag.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2021 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are no rear cradle bushings on an '88.

Perhaps you are referring to the engine and transmission mounts?

The '88 engine mount is unique (it's fluid filled) and is very difficult to find.

The rack is mounted in bushings as well, but they seldom go bad.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2021 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The '88 engine mount is unique (it's fluid filled) and is very difficult to find.

Rodney Dickman makes a urethane replacement.
PFF
System Bot
JOE 4RE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2021 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JOE 4RESend a Private Message to JOE 4REEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just remembered that the dogbone had been replaced with a polyurethane one when I bought the car. Could this along, with the deteriorated rubber OEM bushings in the rear suspension, contribute to the sound of the suspension about to come out of the car? Is an OEM style rubber dogbone available?

[This message has been edited by JOE 4RE (edited 10-29-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock