Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  No fuel pressure to test port on fuel rail but good pressure from pump when disconnec

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
No fuel pressure to test port on fuel rail but good pressure from pump when disconnec by Steelers8
Started on: 07-05-2021 10:53 PM
Replies: 23 (414 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 09-07-2021 04:40 PM
Steelers8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2021 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just put heads on and car ran before. Put new Coil, Distributor, Injectors, Fan Switch, and Coolant Switch. Car starts if carb cleaner sprayed in but pump disconnected before filter has 70 lbs but nothing at valve on fuel rail? Any ideas because seems to have pulse but no pressure?

------------------
KCBSR

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2021 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing clogged fuel filter, pinched fuel line between output from pump and fuel rail, or faulty fuel pressure regulator. If you disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail do you get fuel when you turn on the ignition? CAUTION: Do not crank car. Do not check with warm or hot engine. Do not do alone. Have a Class B fire extinguisher close by.
Steelers8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2021 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New fuel filter. With pump hooked up 10 lbs before and after filter. Gas to fuel rail. No pressure out the valve. Gas coming out return but pressure does not go up in pinch return. Could pressure regulator just stop working while I was putting heads on?

------------------
KCBSR

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2021 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you have a fuel pump issue. See this thread about half way down. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138476.html Yes, I know this is about a new pump but the items mentioned by Dennis are places to start looking.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2021 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steelers8:

pump disconnected before filter has 70 lbs but nothing at valve on fuel rail?

With pump hooked up 10 lbs before and after filter. Gas to fuel rail. No pressure out the valve.

???

Steelers8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2021 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess I will have to change the regulator then. Seems odd it went out when it was fine before.

------------------
KCBSR

Steelers8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2021 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steelers8

48 posts
Member since Apr 2021

Originally posted by Patrick:

???

Just powering up the pump with battery charger and when I just pressure with tester before the filter reads 10. Disconnected and put after filter 10. Before filer just pump not connected to fuel line 70.

------------------
KCBSR

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2021 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just powering up the pump with battery charger and when I just pressure with tester before the filter reads 10. Disconnected and put after filter 10. Before filer just pump not connected to fuel line 70.

So you have 70 psi upstream of the fuel filter and 10 psi at every point downstream of the fuel filter? Sounds like your fuel filter was bad out of the box.

However, you also said the 10 psi at the rail does not increase when you pinch off the regulator return?
Steelers8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2021 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I got 70 before fuel filter without being connected to the fuel filter but if connected through the system 10 before and after the filter but no pressure at the valve at the fuel rail. A lot of gas on the return line but doesn’t increase if I pinch off the return.

------------------
KCBSR

Steelers8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2021 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steelers8

48 posts
Member since Apr 2021

Originally posted by Will:

So you have 70 psi upstream of the fuel filter and 10 psi at every point downstream of the fuel filter? Sounds like your fuel filter was bad out of the box.

However, you also said the 10 psi at the rail does not increase when you pinch off the regulator return?

------------------
KCBSR

Steelers8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2021 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steelers8

48 posts
Member since Apr 2021
70 before fuel filter not connected to anything but pump. If connected to fuel filter 10 before and after and no pressure at rail.
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2021 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

70 before fuel filter not connected to anything but pump. If connected to fuel filter 10 before and after and no pressure at rail.

I've been scratching my head on this. How are you measuring pressure between the pump and the fuel filter? Is there a Schrader valve in the line, there? Can you upload an image?
Steelers8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2021 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have pressure now. It will only start and go up to 1100 rpms and dies. Sounds like maybe a vacuum leak. Any ideas were to start?

------------------
KCBSR

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2021 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So just to clear things up I'm assuming you mean 70 psi. I'm assuming you're dead-heading the fuel pump with a reliable gauge before any fuel gets to the 1st component being the fuel filter. If this is so, then you've proved that the fuel pump is capable of producing adequate static-pressure but that does not always equal adequate dynamic-pressure or flow / volume.

If I was in this situation I would use a pressure gauge of the proper range, an appropriate ball valve to regulate the pressure and a measuring container to collect the results and compare this to the manufacturers specifications of the pump. Example, 1.5 gallons per minute @ 55 psi.
Once the pump has proven itself then I would add in the fuel filter and retest. If all proves well then I would allow fuel to flow to the regulator and so on.

I would also recheck the schrader valve on the fuel rail. The core could be bent off center and its not being depressed. Replacements are available for fuel use.
---end of "If I was in this situation". Just like on TV, results may vary...

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2021 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have pressure now.

Tell us what you did.

Steelers8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2021 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well took fuel pump assembly out and put in a bucket of gas so now good fuel pressure at fuel rail. It starts but only goes to 1100 rpm and dies. Sounds like maybe a vacuum leak! Any idea where to start looking? Everything is hooked up. New intake gaskets. Could it be there or idle sensor?

------------------
KCBSR

Steelers8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well put new intake gaskets in and no more vacuum leak but it is timed now but will not idle. Starts but as soon as I take my foot off the brake it dies. Can’t even put in reverse to back out of the garage. Any ideas please!

------------------
KCBSR

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What is the fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail?
Steelers8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2021 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
43 lbs

------------------
KCBSR

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well took fuel pump assembly out and put in a bucket of gas so now good fuel pressure at fuel rail. It starts but only goes to 1100 rpm and dies. Sounds like maybe a vacuum leak! Any idea where to start looking? Everything is hooked up. New intake gaskets. Could it be there or idle sensor?

I would advise against using live wires and testing the pump in a bucket of gasoline. Quite frankly I cannot even see how you can measure the pressure this way. What was the procedure? If you now have 43 psi at the rail then fuel pressure is up to spec. This whole episode sounds extremely strange.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Steelers8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what is next? Check all injectors with noid light?

------------------
KCBSR

PFF
System Bot
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I would advise against using live wires and testing the pump in a bucket of gasoline. Quite frankly I cannot even see how you can measure the pressure this way. What was the procedure? If you now have 43 psi at the rail then fuel pressure is up to spec. This whole episode sounds extremely strange.

Yes I have no idea what the OP is doing. Each post/test is more confusing than the previous one.
Steelers8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steelers8Send a Private Message to Steelers8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. Someone made me go back to this post. Guess I will have to figure it out.

------------------
KCBSR

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Someone made me go back to this post.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock