Low Fuel Pressure New Bosch Fuel Pump by Fiero Tom
Started on: 08-03-2016 05:43 AM
Replies: 10 (843 views)
Last post by: Fiero Tom on 09-11-2016 05:06 PM
Fiero Tom

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just changed my fuel pump for my 4.9 , replaced it it with a Bosch 69222 from Rockauto but when I turn on the key I only get 10psi of pressure.
I was expecting (40-45) psi since this was supposed to be for the V6, did I get the wrong pump ????
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like they shipped the one for the duke
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you check the number etched on the outside of the pump housing to verify the correct part number before installing?

I never use Rock Auto, I have never had a good experience with them; incomplete product packaging, wrong parts, defective parts, multiple shipment to get correct parts. I get better prices by shopping locally and dealing with only two local auto parts stores.

Delphi or Delco only for fuel pumps.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by f85gtron:
Sounds like they shipped the one for the duke
Nope. 4cyl pump will push 18-22psi max easy. 4cyl uses 9-13psi and that's set by the TBI regulator.

Max PSI, like pinching return line, is for test only because can damage most pumps. Regulator bleed off extra and return to tank so FP see gas flow to cool and lube it.

bad pump or something else is causing his problem.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the pump come with a new piece of hose to attach it to the sender assembly? (that short piece of hose on the top of the pump) And if so, did you use it?

The first time I replaced the fuel pump in my Fiero, I decided not to replace that little hose, because the original looked OK. A week later, I was dropping the tank again because it ruptured.
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe his regulator is stick wide open? Check to see if pressure comes up with pinch return test, if yes, then test regulator on top of fuel rail.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have had great luck using the Bosch 69225 fuel pump which duplicates the EP381 flow and pressure capability. Not familiar with the Bosch 69222 but that may be the one for the stock 2.8L..
Causes of low fuel pressure
Bad Regulator
Crimped feed hose
Wrong, Defective or bad fuel pump
Leakage at the connection hose or pulsator in the fuel tank
Bad wire connection

My guess-bad regulator but test by temporarily pinching the return line and measuring the pressure at the Schrader valve on the rail. When the pressure rises to 43 psi stop the test. If you don't read 43 psi your problem is most likely located at the connection in the tank.
BTW, if you replace the small hose that attaches the fuel pump to the supply line, (where the pulsator was) YOU MUST use J30R10 submersible fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps. Std fuel injection hose will deteriorate with time.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-03-2016).]

Fiero Tom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK I dropped the tank, removed the fuel pump and discovered the ground wire was loose now I have 40 PSI.
The reason I changed the fuel pump was because the old one wouldn't hold pressure and the car didn't idle without holding down the gas pedal.

Well after dropping the tank twice and replacing the pump it still won't idle .............................
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Tom:

OK I dropped the tank, removed the fuel pump and discovered the ground wire was loose now I have 40 PSI.
The reason I changed the fuel pump was because the old one wouldn't hold pressure and the car didn't idle without holding down the gas pedal.

Well after dropping the tank twice and replacing the pump it still won't idle .............................

If it starts, runs and will not idle; check the idle air control motor that is bolted on the throttle body. I've replaced a few bad ones on other cars.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Fiero Tom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2016 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

If it starts, runs and will not idle; check the idle air control motor that is bolted on the throttle body. I've replaced a few bad ones on other cars.

Yeah I thought that might be the case, it tries to idle at less than 500rpm when cold and in Park.

Fiero Tom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2016 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still not running I replaced the Idle Speed Control Motor and the car won't idle without my foot on the gas and it idles very rough even then.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock