Rear toe-in by wilberto
Started on: 06-09-2021 08:36 PM
Replies: 6 (405 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 06-13-2021 01:46 PM
wilberto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2021 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wilbertoSend a Private Message to wilbertoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had a local shop install the Monroe strut package from the Fiero Store, on my 85 GT. I had them flip the hats as I had installed Eibach lowering springs. They do clear the deck lid as it's a 308 rebodie. When set on the ground there was terrible toe-in towards the front of the wheel well. It's still in their shop. I'm wonderin' if the top mounts were swapped...would that make a difference? If we can't figure it out I will have them install them the conventional way. Any input would be appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2021 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alignment needed to readjust toe to Zero on rear.

Alignment specs (from Ogre's site)
http://web.archive.org/web/...e/FieroAlignment.pdf

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-09-2021).]

wilberto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wilbertoSend a Private Message to wilbertoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never heard of this...the shop just swapped struts to opposite sides and problem solved. They tried to explain it to me but it just didn't sink in because there are no left and right struts. Maybe some one else can splain it to me?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2021 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wilberto:

I've never heard of this...the shop just swapped struts to opposite sides and problem solved.

Me neither. So they just got lucky and it "looks" correct when they eyeball it?

Almost anytime the rear suspension is disassembled, you'll need an alignment - especially when you change things (lowering springs, flipping the mount etc.).
Although you didn't say if the springs were put on earlier and an alignment done at that time and this was just new struts.

The struts also control the camber. Changing that angle will also change the toe.
When they do an alignment, they set the camber first, then adjust the toe.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...160323-2-125165.html

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2021 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like mentioned above, camber also affects toe on the rear suspension. Not sure why they had to swap the struts from side to side. They're not side specific.
wilberto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2021 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wilbertoSend a Private Message to wilbertoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like I said, Doesn't make sense that swapping sides would make a difference, but it did. I installed Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs from West Coast Fiero, ( I'm never doing business with them again!!! ) and the Monroe strut package from the Fiero Store, Fiero Store is GREAT!!! I then had 4 wheel alignment done...what a difference. Handles like a rally car, very pleased.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2021 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wilberto:

I then had 4 wheel alignment done...what a difference. Handles like a rally car, very pleased.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock