Adjusting Rear Camber on 87' GT by mitchjl22
Started on: 09-25-2012 01:21 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: mitchjl22 on 12-04-2012 10:13 PM
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2012 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Direct Link to This Post
I threw my car up on the alignment rack today at school and found that the rear camber was off quite a bit. How do i adjust it without removing the wheel? Is it possible? How do i adjust the rear camber anyway?! The picture on the alignment machine showed an illustration with the wheel off... I see the two big camber bolts, but how do you adjust the suspension once they're loosened? My auto teacher said I needed an alignment cam to move the strut over....? Please help... pictures would be amazing.

Thanks,
Mitch
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2012 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I'm doing this to my '86 GT right now as well. I found some images on the 'net to show you what you need to know.

This is the type of adjustment bolt you want. IMO this is superior to the type where the "cam" is on the bolt itself.

And this is where it goes on each strut. You simply turn the bottom bolt and the washer "cam" moves the strut.

Every Fiero should have these installed before a wheel alignment.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2012 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Direct Link to This Post
Thank you so much. 1 more noob question. That whole bolt assembly... is that stock already on the car? Or do I need to replace that bottom bolt with the top picture? Thank you in advance.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2012 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

Or do I need to replace that bottom bolt with the top picture?

Correct.

A4SixtyNineRR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2012 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for A4SixtyNineRRSend a Private Message to A4SixtyNineRRDirect Link to This Post
I recently replaced my shocks and struts, but reused the stock bolts for everything. The alignment shop had a BEAR of a time adjusting the rear camber due to the stock bolts. He recommended using the same bolts pictured in this post and said they would have made a HUGE difference. He explained that GM had pretty loose alignment standards when our cars were first made and the alignment process wasn't as advanced as today's newer machines. The poor guy worked for hours and get it within spec, but now I wish I had installed these BEFORE he did all of the work. I guess I'll put a pair in 20 years from now when I replace the struts again.... my car had factory originals on all corners and they were dead. Save yourself the headache and replace them now while you messing with the alignment. Summit Racing, Jegs, and I think TFS all have similar cam bolts. Good luck!
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2012 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
You can reach the strut bolts from under the car when the car is on the alignment rack. The eccentric camber bolt makes the job MUCH easier, with the top bolt loose, just rotate the head of the lower bolt until the camber is within spec and snug the top bolt. Double check your reading and then tighten everything up.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2012 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Direct Link to This Post
Okay sound good thanks! I got the car up on the alignment rack today again and saw that there hadn't been any installed. I hopped on my Napa Pro Link account and ordered a pair for $20! After that I steam cleaned my entire engine bay and cradle. Nice and new looking.... my transmission is SILVER! Not black!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2012 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

Okay sound good thanks! I got the car up on the alignment rack today again and saw that there hadn't been any installed. I hopped on my Napa Pro Link account and ordered a pair for $20! After that I steam cleaned my entire engine bay and cradle. Nice and new looking.... my transmission is SILVER! Not black!

Post pics, or it didn't happen! He, he, he...

Tony
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Direct Link to This Post
Finally finished the alignment. The camber is set at -0.5 degrees on both sides in the rear (-1.0 recommended)... will the half degree really affect anything?

For Tony
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Direct Link to This Post
So, today I cut a couple inches off of a spare set of springs I had and put them in the rear to level the whole car. It looks and rides great (there really is no noticeable ride difference.) I need more negative camber though than the +/- 3 degrees the camber bolts provide. How can this be achieved? It's lowered and the camber bolt is set to max negative and it's still too positive.

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 12-04-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock