Deck lid limit strap snapped by skywurz
Started on: 01-18-2021 12:16 PM
Replies: 11 (387 views)
Last post by: skywurz on 01-20-2021 08:59 PM
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2021 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all

We had a wicked wind storm last night. I had not fully closed the read deck on my wife's Fiero as I typically never do when i'm done working on it so i don't have to unlock it the next day. If i knew there would be a wind storm i would have at least weighted it down. anyway this morning i found it open.. I went to close it and it was hard to close and the strike was no longer right.
Upon inspection

This hinge seems tweaked now.

I have an extra hinge but im in the school of #$($@#@(@$%%# i just got those torsion bars back in and adjusted.

So is my correct thinking that
I need to unload this torsion bar.
protect the window
remove the deck lid being careful of any leftover spring in the torsion bar as the hinge is no longer limited ( i guess i could drop the bar out of the bottom fully unloading it)
then finally replace the hinge.

Thanks

------------------
See my Fiero Proluge on my personal site: http://skywurz.com/node/114
See my GT Build //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/144556.html
See my Wife's 85SE Build //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/144704.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2021 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman has the new stainless cables: http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=110

You might look at this PFF post: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-107502.html

I replaced the cables and overhauled hinges on two cars using the ratchet strap to cradle method to secure the torsion bars. The job was fairly easy. Just secure the torsion bars to the rear of the cradle with the racket straps, remove deck lid, remove hinges. Protect rear glass with 12"x12" X 1/2-5/8" plywood squares.

Rodneys site gives instructions on replacing the strap rivets. The stainless rivets are somewhat soft and easy to mushroom. I angled Rodneys strap ends so the sweg was lined up with the cables when the deckled was open hopefully keeping the cable from wearing at the sweg. Just put the cable end in a vice and tap lightly with a hammer to angle slightly.

Replacement hinges come in two styles, for different years, see Rodneys add, and can be found in the parts yards or the PFF Mall.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 01-18-2021).]

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2021 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My blacksmith skills weren't good enough to mushroom the Rodney Dickman rivet heads, so I ended up welding them from behind.

Prior to welding, I did centre drill the rivets, so I would be able to drill out the rivets when the time comes to replace the cables again.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2021 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

Rodney Dickman has the new stainless cables: http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=110

You might look at this PFF post: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-107502.html

I replaced the cables and overhauled hinges on two cars using the ratchet strap to cradle method to secure the torsion bars. The job was fairly easy. Just secure the torsion bars to the rear of the cradle with the racket straps, remove deck lid, remove hinges. Protect rear glass with 12"x12" X 1/2-5/8" plywood squares.

Rodneys site gives instructions on replacing the strap rivets. The stainless rivets are somewhat soft and easy to mushroom. I angled Rodneys strap ends so the sweg was lined up with the cables when the deckled was open hopefully keeping the cable from wearing at the sweg. Just put the cable end in a vice and tap lightly with a hammer to angle slightly.

Replacement hinges come in two styles, for different years, see Rodneys add, and can be found in the parts yards or the PFF Mall.

Thank you! I didn't find those earlier. The ratchet strap on the upper torsion sounds like an interesting route that will prevent me from redoing work.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2021 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

I angled Rodneys strap ends so the sweg was lined up with the cables when the deckled was open hopefully keeping the cable from wearing at the sweg.

To maximize cable life, the cable end should be allowed to spin.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2021 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Captured the incident on camera.

https://gfycat.com/likelymadfruitbat

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 01-19-2021).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

I've seen decklids break from that, so you got off easy with just the hinge.
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

I notice the entire body shook when the lid flipped up. That is scary.

Also, is it Eric the fruitbat?

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 01-20-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

To maximize cable life, the cable end should be allowed to spin.

To maximize cable life, I'd go so far as to say... never use the in-cab electric popper. I only ever open my decklid while I'm standing there in complete control of the decklid.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-20-2021).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

To maximize cable life, I'd go so far as to say... never use the in-cab electric popper. I only ever open my decklid while I'm standing there in complete control of the decklid.

When you use the in-cab popper, the decklid is *supposed to* release, but stay down.
YMMV based on local winds, so be mindful of that.
If you decklid pops all the way up when you hit the in-cab popper, the torsion springs are set incorrectly for your decklid options (notchback/fastback, spoiler, rack, etc) or weight was removed from the decklid since the car was built.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Instead of cutting plywood pieces, I've read on here where people have cut several 2 x 4's to fit between the buttresses and stacked them against the rear glass. That will better take the impact of a runaway torsion bar.
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the hinge swapped out took less than 30 min.

The drivers side hinge must be tweaked some because fully adjusted the deck lid has about 1 playing card between it and the window.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock