Started on: 03-25-2010 04:02 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: phonedawgz on 03-27-2010 11:41 AM
crazyd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
My left-side decklid hinge suddenly snapped yesterday. I was about to head for the junkyard to get a replacement, but the torque rod is going to be a problem. Has anyone dealt with this before? Suggestions?

------------------

- Electron Blue '88 GT ZZ430 V8 5-speed (430hp): Before After ZZ430 w/Ram-Port FI--Wanna Race? See Archie build it here on the Forum!
Pics, Vids, Specs & more at the ZZ430 Fiero webpage
- Silver '88 GT 5-speed w/cammed 3.4 (160hp)
- LS1 6-speed C5 Corvette Roadster (475hp)
- LT4 6-speed C4 Corvette Roadster (350hp)
- '92 Grand Prix GTP 3.4 DOHC 284 5-speed (215hp)
- '08 Baja Reaction 150 CVT (10hp)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Happened to me last week end putting the deck lid back on. I had blocks of wood stuck between the rod and hinge to hold it down level(ish) as I was on my own, hinge pin just sheared off. I was lucky it did not take the back window out.
I have the special torx bit you need to get the bolt out so I could separate the hinge from the torque rod. Then I manhandled it down so I could get a piece of pipe on there.
Once I could get it down I stuffed more wood in there to hold it down while I put a new hinge on (had a spare), then bolted the short link to the new hinge.
I think the main thing is to protect the rear window as much as possible. Tape a piece of thick wood/board over it. If you can do that then you can let the rod rest against the wood which gives you enough play to pull the other end forward to remove the pin and remove the whole torque rod.Then you can work with it off the car.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Exactly as it happened to me, Dave. Hinge pin just sheared off.

Thanks for the tips, I'll go see about getting that torx bit for the torque rod.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't find the special torx bit with the hollow end, so I tried to follow Rodney's instructions for hinge strap replacement by "peening" the little center pin off the fastener... all it did was hopelessly bend over without breaking. In the end, I used a cutoff wheel on my die grinder and made two small flats on the OD of the fastener which allowed me to get a pair of visegrips on it to get it off.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
I took the cut off wheel and cut a straight screwdriver slot into the head to get that bolt out. It worked
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Whatever you do, just remember to protect that rear window first.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
I seen a good pic on here, someone used ratchet straps and tied them back to the trunk latch but I didn't save it to fav's. I just changed the torsion rods on mine last week, I've changed them on different Fiero's several times, I have used small needlenose vice grips to get that security torx out. also wrapping a ratchet strap at the bottom on the torsion bar helps you to pull it back out to fit the spike, when it is all replaced, you can wrap the strap around in your hand to get a good grip, pull it back with one hand and push the spike in. I oiled them up after I finished.
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post

rourke_87_T-Top

1347 posts
Member since Jan 2009
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Lowe's had the security torx set with the T40 bit on sale for $28 and I got a pair of hinges off an '85 notchie in the yard for $13. I used a pile of thick thermal insulation from the interior that was in the trunk of the junkyard car to protect the rear glass and will probably do the same with mine when I replace it later. I like the ratchet straps idea for holding the torque rods down, I'll definitely go that route.
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post

crazyd

2011 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Ratchet strap on the torsion rod worked perfectly. Didn't even have to take the decklid off, and was done in about 20 minutes. Decklid is a little crooked from being bent out of shape for a few days, but I'm hoping it'll settle back to its original shape in a few more.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
If you haven't downloaded a Service Manual yet (and why not???) http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

... at least get the Body Section I've made available separately for download.
This is a small 113 page, 7 MB PDF file for quick download Click here to start it now.

It tells you how to change the hinge or rod WITHOUT accidentally smashing your rear window, or your hands. Manuals are a GOOD thing to have.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-29-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
A block of wood there! HEY that's a good idea. I wish I'd have known that when I did mine a LONG time ago!

That MANUAL idea makes so much sense!

THANKS!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock