Started on: 01-22-2005 01:13 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: yellowstone on 01-25-2005 06:13 PM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2005 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero used to have a wing but it was removed when I bought it. Now the decklid opens violently due to the torque rod being misadjusted. I know it is possible to change the torque rod setting - but how is it done?

------------------

www.yellowfiero.com/fiero.html
17" DEZENT T wheels with 215/40 tires front and 235/45 rear, KONI shocks, EIBACH lowering springs, PU dog bone, bushings and engine mounts, K&N air and oil filters, OZELOT exhaust, Mercedes SLK yellow, Mr. Mikes seats, door skins, shift and e-brake boots. MP3 player and custom subwoofer behind passenger seat, F355 style front. Fiero Store rear swaybar, strut tower brace, black carpet. Rodney Dickman's competition short shifter. Billet aluminum dash kit from Kitcarman.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2005 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
Try this link...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20040223-2-043677.html

Edited:

If I could also suggest clamping ( locking pliers or c-clamp, etc) a heavy metal strap onto the spring perch to hold it from slipping off while you make your adjustments.

In the picture below 1) is the tension rod 2) is the rod resting against the spring perch and 3) the rectangle represents a metal strap clamped to the perch running forward to the firewall trapping the tension rod on it's perch.

(pic courtesy of buddycraigg)

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 01-22-2005).]

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2005 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
here's a thread with pics. some people prefer to use a ratcheting tiedown or a couple of strong friends. i dont have that many friends so i use a comealong.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20040710-2-046681.html
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2005 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I had the other problem, mine would not always stay up after I added a fan scoop to the lid. Then I noticed that the tork rod pin was on the wrong side of the rod! I found a simple (if not a little haphazard way to fix it by myself. I tied a length of very strong yet not too thick cord to the tork rod, tied the other end to a tree. Yup, I drove the car a few inches away from the tree, put the park break on and checked where the rod was. After a few of those move-and-checks, I pulled the pin and put it on the other side of the rod. I did the same for the other side. In your case, you'll want to move the other way. Take note; I never said this was the safest way to get it done, but it worked fine for me and took no time at all. You could probably use this method to fix a dislocated shoulder too, but haven't tried that one yet.
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2005 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

here's a thread with pics. some people prefer to use a ratcheting tiedown or a couple of strong friends. i dont have that many friends so i use a comealong.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20040710-2-046681.html

You know, you can by a ratchet style tie-down strap for the price of a couple of Big Macs, fries, and a drink at Mcdonald's from Harbor Freight! Much safer!

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2005 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
LOL francis! that would've been a sight to see. People wandering by probly thought you were play tug-of-war with the tree
FierceGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2005 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierceGTClick Here to visit FierceGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierceGTDirect Link to This Post
I thought the rods were different for the 3 different deck lids.....bare lid, luggage rack, and wing. I know there are different holes where the rods go through, but getting it into a different hole seems to be almost impossible!
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2005 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
there are apparently different springs, but you should be able to get away with just moving the pins. it's easy once you get the spring under control.

i thought using the comealong very safe, as it allows you to stand well clear while pulling the spring. do whatever works for you.

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 01-23-2005).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2005 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
So moving the pin towards the back of the car will result in a stronger "opening" of the decklid, moving it towards the front will result in a weaker spring force... right?
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2005 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

So moving the pin towards the back of the car will result in a stronger "opening" of the decklid, moving it towards the front will result in a weaker spring force... right?

Yes.

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2005 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I also have a really quick and similar way to pull an engine. You just need some chain instead of rope, a bigger tree, and a cliff.
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2005 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for everyones help. I did the procedure yesterday, moved the pins and I'm happy... :-)
lurker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2005 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Thanks for everyones help. I did the procedure yesterday, moved the pins and I'm happy... :-)

come on, tell us what you used! comealong, tiedown, drive-away-from-tree, pizza and beer besotted friends?

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2005 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
A tie strap with a ratchet...

Originally posted by lurker:

come on, tell us what you used! comealong, tiedown, drive-away-from-tree, pizza and beer besotted friends?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock