Squeaking bushing after poly install by pontiacfierokid1985
Started on: 07-30-2020 12:16 AM
Replies: 18 (582 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 06-20-2021 06:18 PM
pontiacfierokid1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 gt 2.8 4 speed Is there anyway to get rid of the squeaking bushings from the control arms upper and lower after installing poly bushings. I applied a s*** ton of grease but clearly it wasn’t enough 🤦‍♂️ Now over every little bump in the road I get a squeak very annoying I must say the ride is perfect no more sloppy suspension when going into cornering that’s for sure 😁
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiacfierokid1985:

86 gt 2.8 4 speed Is there anyway to get rid of the squeaking bushings from the control arms upper and lower after installing poly bushings. I applied a s*** ton of grease but clearly it wasn’t enough 🤦‍♂️ Now over every little bump in the road I get a squeak very annoying I must say the ride is perfect no more sloppy suspension when going into cornering that’s for sure 😁

I have poly in my 88. I have never had a noise. But I have heard of poly being squeaky.
I assume you installed the grease zerks in every single joint?
The lube for poly is amazingly sticky, like honey, what did you use?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad news,
you may never get rid of polly noise even if you grease them "properly" w/ Right grease.

Why?
Basically you put hype parts in car's suspension and take your chances what happens now or later.

Noise mainly comes from sides and inner tube as the polly try to act like bearings where it hits/rubs/rotates on the sides the car's "frame" and inner metal.
CA and sway bar(s) are famous noise headaches.

Results?
A lot of times even the "polly" Grease come w/ them won't help depend on many things including how you clean all parts touching the polly.
More annoying, Can be just one to all of them making noise.

So?
Some get noise at every bump now or down the road. Some of them replace w/ Moog etc "rubber" to stop this, If they keep the car.
Some get no noise but often doesn't = no problem and often ends up w/ CA and some others w/ a lot of play during driving.
Some get away w/ them for years and no noise.

See my Cave, Bushings and maybe other pages

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I have poly in my 88. I have never had a noise. But I have heard of poly being squeaky.
I assume you installed the grease zerks in every single joint?
The lube for poly is amazingly sticky, like honey, what did you use?

I had no idea you could instal grease fittings I just may do this what do you drill the hole to and do they have a tap to thread or do you just thread it and hope for the best how far do you drill
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

This is a totally different situation, but I dremeled out a channel for lithium grease to follow on the inside of these poly sway bar bushings for my Subie when I added the zerk fittings. Worked out really well... no squawking!

More information in this thread... Greasable control arm bushings
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiacfierokid1985:

I had no idea you could instal grease fittings I just may do this what do you drill the hole to and do they have a tap to thread or do you just thread it and hope for the best how far do you drill

My poly kit came with zerks. But you can by them at an auto parts store. You will need to drill into a good location and just screw them in. I don't remember but I think mine were self tapping? Also you need to get the zerk to tap into a channel that will allow the lube to go to the correct locations.
See in Patrick's picture at the top of the red bushing, it has a hole. This hole is where you need the zerk to tap into thru the metal braket. The lube should then go where it needs to.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 07-30-2020).]

pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

My poly kit came with zerks. But you can by them at an auto parts store. You will need to drill into a good location and just screw them in. I don't remember but I think mine were self tapping? Also you need to get the zerk to tap into a channel that will allow the lube to go to the correct locations.
See in Patrick's picture at the top of the red bushing, it has a hole. This hole is where you need the zerk to tap into thru the metal braket. The lube should then go where it needs to.

I did poly in all my control arms so that will be a tough one as long it gets into where the metal sleeve is I think it will be fine I’ll pick up a **** ton of zerk fittings and give it a whirl when I get back from my 2 week military training for the guard
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never had a squeak. I have poly since 2016 I believe, the Prothane kit, control arm bushings, stabilizer bar links and bushings, cradle, basically everything except the tie rod end and ball joint covers they offered. Though I've seen photos of people installing them over the original rubber.

Had a poly dog bone but threw that out and got a rubber one. Too much vibration with a 2.5 automatic at idle.

I remember I used up all the grease that came with the Prothane kit and was very generous with it for every part.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2020 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever try the teflon tape method?

feihren

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for feihrenSend a Private Message to feihrenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am about to put poly on my 86 GT...but I may have gotten a little forceful with the removal of the old bushings....Does anyone know where I can obtain some front suspension bushing outer metal shells/sleeves.

------------------
'86 GT 99 Z-28

Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2021 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone used any Teflon grease other than offered by the Fierostore? I can't seem to find any online and I want to get in there and re-grease / teflon tape every bushing I installed.

Would any of this work well?

[URL=https://www.amazon.ca/Energy-Suspension-9-11104-Tub-Lubricant/dp/B000MW5SJ4/ref=pd_lpo_263_t_1/147-3109284-3786028?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000MW5SJ4&pd_rd_r=f662e525-0203-4d2f-b10d-4a5b141a9c74&pd_rd_w=fNJrs&pd_rd_wg=3cQLi&pf_rd_p=30544af5-aadc-4771-a 67d-e782b1d2ac69&pf_rd_r=KGM4GNPVC9Z800KA3X9X&psc=1&refRID=KGM4GNPVC9Z800KA3X9X [/URL]

https://www.amazon.ca/Super...id=1623867582&sr=8-6

Matthew

[This message has been edited by Matthew_Fiero (edited 06-16-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2021 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2021 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

https://www.amazon.com/Prot...e-Tube/dp/B002P8SAU2

Yes I did see this. These are $50 for three little packets.

Is there an alternative anyone is aware of for the Prothane Teflon grease?

Matthew
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2021 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matthew_Fiero:

As mentioned in my first post in this thread, lithium grease can be used. Cheap, works fine in situations where a zerk fitting has been installed.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2021 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clear Teflon/PTFE grease is sold local in many places as tube of Hitch Grease.
look at Walmert AZ etc.

made this way because won't stain many things or wash off until you need it off of a trailer ball etc.
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Clear Teflon/PTFE grease is sold local in many places as tube of Hitch Grease.
look at Walmert AZ etc.

made this way because won't stain many things or wash off until you need it off of a trailer ball etc.

Thanks, Orge!
bmyers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmyersSend a Private Message to bmyersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this squeaking a potential problem when using poly bushings for the cradle? I just bought a set. Should I switch to rubber?

------------------
Brian

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmyers:
Is this squeaking a potential problem when using poly bushings for the cradle? I just bought a set. Should I switch to rubber?
Cradle kit doesn't move/rotate and have no noise problems.
may only need some grease for front to prevent rust.

See my Cave, Bushings and rest of section before buying parts.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matthew_Fiero:

Yes I did see this. These are $50 for three little packets.

Matthew

You people get screwed in Canada. The link I posted costs $14 here in the states with free shipping. I forgot you are in Canada so the price is a complete ripoff.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock