Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  87gt cranking not turning over? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
87gt cranking not turning over? by Dwayne
Started on: 12-30-2019 04:46 PM
Replies: 52 (977 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 01-20-2020 06:09 PM
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2020 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad connector pins or broken wire?

IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2020 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dwayne:

yea both 5amp injector fuses look good.

Did you actually check them for continuity?
Dwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DwayneSend a Private Message to DwayneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
checked for continuity of each injector but not the wiring to them. appreciate the diagram. not good at reading drawings. gonna try to follow it.

thanks
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

checked for continuity of each injector but not the wiring to them.

The reference was to the actual fuses. Sometimes they look fine when they're not.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

The reference was to the actual fuses. Sometimes they look fine when they're not.

Each bank of injectors is getting power. Individual injectors are not, so the problem can't be with the fuses. The circuits are grounded by the ECM. Continuity is lost near the injectors somewhere. The wiring diagram just shows you the single wire that powers each bank and then goes back to the ECM.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The injectors are on 2 fuses. 1-3-5 and 2-4-6.

Each bank of injectors is getting power. Individual injectors are not, so the problem can't be with the fuses.

Three injectors aren't working. True, they're not all on the same "bank" (and/or same side of engine), but it might be possible for both injector wiring harnesses to each be connected to one of the "wrong" injectors (as the injectors are all relatively close to each other). So if one fuse was burned out, two injectors on one bank and one on the other wouldn't work. And remember, all injectors (are supposed to) fire at the same time, so it's not like the injector wiring harnesses need to be connected to specific injectors.

[EDIT] I just had a look at some photos I took of my Formula shortly after I had acquired it. In this shot, after I had pulled the upper intake manifold (to change injectors), observe the injector harnesses. It looks to me like one harness is servicing injectors # 1, 2 and 4... and the other harness is servicing injectors # 3, 5 and 6. Strange, since yes, you'd think each harness would service injectors # 1, 3, and 5... and # 2, 4, and 6.

thinking... do injectors 1,2 & 4 use the same wiring? when I test them for spark there is really no difference in the idle. when I test 3,5 & 6 it runs really bad

Dollars to donuts, Dwayne's injectors are connected the same way as mine were... and one harness "bank" of his isn't working. Could still be something as simple IMO as a blown injector fuse.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-11-2020).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you try replacing the ECM?

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As it makes no performance difference where any of the wires go, they just got bored on the assembly line and plugged the harness wherever. hmmmm.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As it makes no performance difference where any of the wires go, they just got bored on the assembly line and plugged the harness wherever. hmmmm.

The car left the assembly line in 1988, and I saved it from oblivion in 2013... so there were 25 years for someone to be screwing about with the injector harnesses.
Dwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2020 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DwayneSend a Private Message to DwayneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so after a break from working on the problem I just getting back to it.

I just had a look at some photos I took of my Formula shortly after I had acquired it. In this shot, after I had pulled the upper intake manifold (to change injectors), observe the injector harnesses. It looks to me like one harness is servicing injectors # 1, 2 and 4... and the other harness is servicing injectors # 3, 5 and 6. Strange, since yes, you'd think each harness would service injectors # 1, 3, and 5... and # 2, 4, and 6.

I did look closer to the injector wiring and they are wired like in the pic above...1, 2, & 4 together and 3, 5 & 6 together. I was going off the wiring diagram the whole time which is not representative of mine. originally I didn't want to mess with over 35 yr old taped up harness and possibly creating another problem.

So looks like a bank problem. I not sure how to troubleshoot it but I got 12v at all 6 injector connectors and 12v at all 4 grounds with key on. wanted to test with noid light to see if I get a pulse while engine was running but cant with intake off or in the way of accessing connectors. So I inserted the noid light into each injector connector and with key on or off and i cant get the light to come on at all? tried cranking engine and nothing. what does this tell me or what am I missing.

thanks for hanging in there
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2020 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ECM fires the injectors by grounding them.
According to the wiring diagram above.....there are 2 ground wires coming out of the ECM, black and tan, both grounded at the same spot...I think it is a bolt in the sheet metal under the armrest.....check to see if it is all still good. If that all checks out, I'd guess the ECM needs replacing.
PFF
System Bot
Dwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2020 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DwayneSend a Private Message to DwayneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
only see one black ground under the armrest. it looks clean and tight. think I'm going to see if I can locate another ecm and see what happens.

what should I look for in a ecm? see some on ebay. does it have to match my year, engine, a/c, auto...

I see as long as I swap he eprom I can use any 2.8 ecm.

[This message has been edited by Dwayne (edited 01-20-2020).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2020 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-20-2020).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock