Blue chime box by cvxjet
Started on: 12-23-2019 10:55 PM
Replies: 20 (606 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 12-27-2019 06:03 PM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2019 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dinger stopped.....dinging! I need to locate a new one- which cars had one that is teh same- prefer the same sound......Were the same ones used in F-bodys? Third or fourth gen? And where would they be located (So I don't have to rip the whole car apart)

Thanks for any info!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2019 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do a search for Blue Dingy Thingy and all will be revealed!

A request in the Mall should turn up a few.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-23-2019).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2019 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Do a search for Blue Dingy Thingy and all will be revealed!

I believe the landfill sites are full of them, but The Ogre disagrees.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2019 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Obligatory

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2019 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I now have the only Volvo 240 in the world that plays Toto’s Africa as the open door chime!

Interesting concept.

I'd go with this more Fiero-specific theme.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2019 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:
My dinger stopped.....dinging! I need to locate a new one- which cars had one that is teh same- prefer the same sound......Were the same ones used in F-bodys? Third or fourth gen? And where would they be located (So I don't have to rip the whole car apart)

Thanks for any info!
Likely could be fixed because many problems are crack solder joints.
See my Cave, Chime Unit
If crack are for metal part of "speaker" then need a bigger gun/iron, > 25 watts, to heat the metal w/o frying the board. pop plastic speaker off the metal before heating.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2019 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'd go with this more Fiero-specific theme.

Patrick, what the hell was that?!?!!

😳
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2019 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

😳

It’s called the 60s. If you weren’t there, don’t ask, ‘cause it won’t make any sense.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2019 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now see, when I think of a song called "Fire" I think of the Ohio Players......I was too young in the 60s- tho I do know some music from then...

I may go to the JY today to check on two Fieros and pull their dinghies......How do they come out? Just pull, or is there a tab that needs to be flexed/pushed? (Or maybe my 2 lb sledge....?)

I understand about possibly fixing mine- but I really like to have a spare to play with first....("Oh that's how that disassembles!" as pieces fly across the room...."We're gonna need another Timmy!")
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2019 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Originally posted by fierobear:

It’s called the 60s. If you weren’t there, don’t ask, ‘cause it won’t make any sense.

Heh heh, exactly. Later acts such as Alice Cooper and KISS owe a lot to Arthur Brown, a pioneer of flamboyant theatrical performances.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2019 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36429 posts
Member since Apr 99

Now see, when I think of a song called "Fire" I think of the Ohio Players......I was too young in the 60s- tho I do know some music from then...

Okay, you should be old enough to be familiar with this "Fire" song then. I always knew it was written by Bruce Springsteen, but I just discovered today that Bruce wrote it specifically for Elvis. Unfortunately, Elvis died before he had a chance to record it... but the Pointer Sisters did a great job.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-24-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2019 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not know that....There are a lot of songs with the name "Fire".......I've been riding high recently because everyone is interested in the fact that I actually saw (Twice) Queen in concert- 1979 and 1981...I even have the shirt I bought at the concert- but it doesn't fit me anymore, so I shadow-boxed it....(I was into their first 5 albums)

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2019 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I even have the shirt I bought at the concert- but it doesn't fit me anymore...

Too loose?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2019 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a small...I was 125 lbs back then- now I am 150- and that actually does include a bit more muscle (No! Not just between my ears...)

I wish I could find the tickets- I have them someplace but haven't been able to locate them. The only other concert I ever went to was The Moody Blues with the California Symphony Orchestra in 1994- that was another great concert!

I pulled my dinger (The Fiero's I mean!) and cannot see any problems with it- the solder is all clean and shiny, and no cracks...It was dinging a little less loudly the last couple of months and then just quit......

Is there a list of other GM cars that use the same Dinger?
Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2019 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Obligatory

Okay, I really want to know how to modify my dingy thing to do this now!

I'm thinking "Radar Love".
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2019 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Custom chime units are "easy" now. Small "Arduino" MCU can be program to do same or mod to do many things including tripping various recorded sounds.
But be Warned many things get very old very fast. Is part of why most Voice "Chimes" are gone many years ago and won't return even when is easy and cheap to have them now.
Anyone that work on cars in 80's - 90's w/ them still knows "Door is ajar" voices. Has several female recorded voice and "Text to speak" type male robo voice.

I pulled my dinger (The Fiero's I mean!) and cannot see any problems with it- the solder is all clean and shiny, and no cracks...It was dinging a little less loudly the last couple of months and then just quit......

Is there a list of other GM cars that use the same Dinger?
Ding or not just when?
Example: No Ding for Key In w/ Door Open can switch(es) in the lock, A pillar or both.
But
No Ding can also mean Dash Dimmer is turn off. Dimmer Off disables some to all features of the Chime unit.

ETA--> Big metal part for speaker may look soldered good but may not be and the metal is a "jumper" too and just 1 crap joint will "kill" the thing.

Other cars uses similar but wiring and pins are different and many won't work in a Fiero.
Even if you find one... Even NOS parts... can have same problem in the cave.
For a list see http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/10037040.html

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-26-2019).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2019 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ogre...I just checked; The "Ajar" light works when I open ANY door and the "Brake" light work when I set the parking brake....I get absolutely nothing from the blue dinger, doors, brake or key in w/door open.....I even yelled at it and taped it a few times.....

I wish Dorman would make a new blue dinger.......

By the way, I read in a couple of road tests (Back in the day) that they thought the warning "buzzer" was the most irritating.....Did they have different sounds for different years? Mine was not that bad- simple (Relaxed) ding....ding...ding.....
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2019 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM use same Lectron units on nearly everything in maybe late 70's, 80's to 90's and likely some 2K+ years but as said had different wiring to it.
Saturn had orange w/ different pins but does/sound the same. Maybe that and other later are MCU etc because many have © for software

Even then had 4 version of blue one and final version 10037040 is Not made same as Patent # on the unit.
Older ones like 10024379 are patent version w/ 3 common 4000 cmos chips and custom 4 lead thermistor covered by US Patent 4232287.
Both w/ same speaker and a lot of discrete parts. Versions w/o "speaker box" to see more.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Top chips are 4001 Quad NOR and 4011 Quad NAND
Bottom chip is Lectron proprietary.

Different versions might sound a little different but is PnP as far as car knows so if you get any version works same and sounds close to same. Likely even if you get exact PN may change sound a bit because discrete part tolerance like most resistors are 5% tol.

A Buzzer or Ding is bad? Then you and others never had a voice whining put on seat belt, door is ajar, etc. Many people that did wanted to smash them including many owners.
Or worse... Cars that disables the starter until you put seat belt on as Many 70's cars had this. Many 70's to 80's cars has a switches to activate SB warning or disable starter for people in Front P-side seat too.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2019 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
Or worse... Cars that disables the starter until you put seat belt on as Many 70's cars had this. Many 70's to 80's cars has a switches to activate SB warning or disable starter for people in Front P-side seat too.

Orgre is correct. My 74 Lincoln Mk-IV Had that feature. The moment you turn the key without having the seat belt buckled would trip out the starter solenoid. You had to pop the hood (and hope it wasn't covered with a foot of snow) which had to be close to 6 ft long and for more punishment the idiots put the reset button on the passenger side fender well. What a joke. Some dealers were showing people how to permanently jump out the relay with a short piece of wire.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2019 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spoon is was a Fed Requirement for that in 74 and some 75 models not just Ford. Google: seat belt starter interlock
They Really wanted everyone to buckle up but belt/starter interlock causes so many problems. Even if you put on before starting the "box" and rest of part used would still fail.
Worse for rental and other fleet operators and many drivers don't have a clue what cars had them in or how to reset it.

Is not like DuPont etc. w/ Policy to use SB in 80's and 90's. DuPont and others had staff to enforce the Policies for private and company cars but didn't want to have SB/starter BS either. Many of sites are Gated properties and you had problem if drive in/out w/o Seat Belt on.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2019 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My father had a good friend and his wife and daughter die because they got in a wreck and did not have seat belts- they would have survived if they had been available. (Back in the fifties when my Father belonged to the 4 cylinder sports car club) After that my father was religious about wearing them, so I was wearing them from the beginning. I remember my buddy in HS connecting the belt in his 75 Camaro across the seat and then sitting on top of it because he thought they were stupid.

Go put your head thru a windshield and see if that damages anything (not including the windshield!)....I wear them but do not need a dingy reminder (But I do need a reminder about the HL/Parking brake/Keys)

Here is my Father in 1952 in his Jowett Jupiter (Flat opposed 4 cylinder, water cooled with radiator BEHIND the engine, Torsion bar suspension, BENCH seat with COLUMN shift 4 speed; 0-60 = 18 seconds) The Jupiter won 3 times at Le Mans in the 1.5 L class (1950-51-52)

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 12-27-2019).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock