Door Chime/Blue Dingy Thingy working intermittently by jaredaltizer
Started on: 09-03-2019 01:38 PM
Replies: 7 (281 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 09-10-2019 11:12 AM
jaredaltizer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2019 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredaltizerSend a Private Message to jaredaltizerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

For the longest time, my '85 GT's chime box hasn't worked. But this summer in Tucson, Arizona has gotten really hot, and all of a sudden, I am hearing the chime every so often when the key is in the ignition, the door is open, the lights are on when the engine isn't running, or the parking brake is on. It really only works when its 95º+ outside, even hotter in the interior. How can I fix this since I can't really find a blue dingy thingy anywhere around town? In addition, I almost never see any of the lights on the dash light up. I don't think I really know what all the lights closest to the speedometer and the lights closest to the tach are for! The only ones I've seen are the temp light, CEL, AJAR light, and shift light, nothing more. In addition, what is the blank light above the tachometer for? I've never seen it illuminate (I've not sure it's even a light.)

Thanks in advance

------------------
'85 Fiero GT [4-speed]
‘86 4cyl (Parts Car) [5-speed]
'95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 [6-speed]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2019 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Chime Unit

Dash lights involve many circuit but get power from few fuses.
Check plugs and lights and their sockets. example: Socket(s) can crack metal parts.
Rotate sockets. dash and "board" can compress so sockets don't get good connection at normal points.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-03-2019).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2019 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can't resurrect your existing blue thingey-dingey, you might find a used one at The Fiero Store. A previous owner had removed mine and I purchased a used one from them. The Fiero Factory in Toney, Alabama may also have them.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2019 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

A previous owner had removed mine...

I thought everybody removed them.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2019 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone removed the chime before I purchased my current Fiero. I purchased and installed a chime, because it should be there. Later, someone working on my Fiero removed the chime and disposed of it without my permission.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2019 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Hardly anyone does this.
Some disable chime for seat belt but not the rest.
Many have bad switch(es) that runs 1 or more chime functions. Common is switch for Ignition key buried in the steering column and won't chime when D-door open w/ I-key in the column.

Many have "dead" or removed the unit have come back to find a dead battery because left HL or parking light on in crap weather etc.
Many have disable/dead popup HL so can't go by HL doors are open/up. Sun Light even on a cloudy day may hind other lights. Is easier now w/ more states required by laws to have Low Beam HL On anytime the Wipers are On etc. Was always a good idea but most ignore that so some states now have laws for this to give tickets. Some areas require HL in Tunnels too. Don't think so? See https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/headlight-use/ for summery for US states and Canada.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2019 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Originally posted by theogre:

Hardly anyone does this.

What... you've taken a poll?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-09-2019).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2019 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have given serious thought of taking mine out. It goes off randomly from time to time.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock