Catalytic converter delete by Greg Bartels
Started on: 11-30-2019 12:39 PM
Replies: 22 (820 views)
Last post by: theogre on 12-09-2019 01:33 AM
Greg Bartels

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2019 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg BartelsSend a Private Message to Greg BartelsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It appears there is only 1 o2 sensor right before the catalytic converter. If i delete the cat. converter will the check engine light come on?

------------------
Gregory K Bartels

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2019 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Greg Bartels:If i delete the cat. converter will the check engine light come on?

No, the light won't come on.

Now pepper your angus for all those who will tell you what a delinquent act that is.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2019 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2019 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope. No CEL.

And welcome to our obsession!
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2019 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome. Remove the CAT and enjoy the different exhaust note.

------------------

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2019 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Welcome. Remove the CAT and enjoy the different exhaust aroma.
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2019 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hell I removed my cat and muffler and it sounds awesome. I say go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Thank You
Thomas
1987 Fiero GT T-Top 1988 Fiero Formula

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

Greg Bartels

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg BartelsSend a Private Message to Greg BartelsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the welcome and the answers many more to follow im sure. I just bought a single owner 87 gt 5 speed (beautiful). I wasnt even looking for this car but it found me. I love this and have lots of plans for it. Selling it will never be on the table.
First though being in Florida is to reduce heat at all fronts i like to drive hard and am worried about July and August. Any body else down here in sw florida?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieros were designed to run hotter than most owners expect. Both mileage and emissions are improved when the computer reads around 195*f or higher, but with no CAT, the improvement may be negligible.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-01-2019).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gall757

10938 posts
Member since Jun 2010
Your radiator fan is supposed to kick on at 235*f. so there is a large 'normal' range. Some owners in warm climates use a lower temp thermostat in an effort to make the car run cooler, but I doubt it helps much at all and may lower gas mileage.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-01-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Removing the Cat Does Nothing for Performance or Heat. Removing a Cat or any Emissions parts have been illegal since ~ 1975 regardless of state rules.
If the Cat is plugged/bad then very likely have engine problems burning oil etc. Just replacing a cat on a iffy engine just wrecks it often fast.

Many Myths claiming Fiero Engine Bay Heat is Higher the Front Engine cars... Is completely .
If the car is moving even a little then a lot of air is moving around the engine etc then out thru the lid vents and so on.
See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141784.html

I'd be worried about Cabin Temp parked outside in sunny days... even in cool weather, can kill kids and other things when hits 140°F or more.

Yes, most cars run hotter then whatever T-stat says. But don't trust a dash gauge to read engine temp. Use ECM scanner or other methods.

If Coolant temps are hotter then ~ 230°F most to all the time... or Temp spikes at idle, most so in cool/cold weather...
Read my Cave, Thermostat, Crushed Pipe and rest of section.
Anything blocking coolant flow will cause problems. Normal T-stat will fake a problem in second issue.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2019 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Removing the Cat Does Nothing for Performance or Heat. Removing a Cat or any Emissions parts have been illegal since ~ 1975 regardless of state rules.
If the Cat is plugged/bad then very likely have engine problems burning oil etc. Just replacing a cat on a iffy engine just wrecks it often fast.

But it does eliminate the no. 1 cause of fire caused by oil leaks. A leaky valve cover gasket causing some oil dripping down on a cat that operates at a normal operating temperature of 1200*F-1600* F and there's your fire. It only takes a few drops of oil on that piece of equipment to start a fire and your Fiero goes up in smoke. For a show or hobby car I certainly see no need for a CAT.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2019 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Yes, most cars run hotter then whatever T-stat says. But don't trust a dash gauge to read engine temp. Use ECM scanner or other methods.

If Coolant temps are hotter then ~ 230°F most to all the time... or Temp spikes at idle, most so in cool/cold weather...
Read my Cave, Thermostat, Crushed Pipe and rest of section.
Anything blocking coolant flow will cause problems. Normal T-stat will fake a problem in second issue.

If the chin spoiler on the front is also missing it can also lead to the car overheating on the highway - I learned this the hard way.
Falstaff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2019 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FalstaffSend a Private Message to FalstaffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cut the cat off mine a long time ago. Completely useless and gets in the way. There is zero inspection of any kind in Michigan so when the cat clogs, rusts or the car just becomes old the cat is removed. Sure it's illegal Federally, but nobody is enforcing it.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2019 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've removed the converter on one of my cars over 10 years ago, and it does give it a little louder exhaust note. The only time I've ever smelled my exhaust is when I'm standing outside at the rear or if I'm backing up. Since I do neither very often, it isn't an issue with me.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2019 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falstaff:

I cut the cat off mine a long time ago. Completely useless...

"Completely useless"? Not if it was functional.

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2019 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cat delete------------ this gonna be fun
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 GT that I recently rebuilt from the ground up. When I did the exhaust I left the catalytic converter off. With the straight pipe and ocelot exhaust the car sounds great. I traveled over 4k miles and 9 different states last June in the car and I had no problems with noise. I would even go far as to say if you stood next to the car you would never know it did not have a cat on it. Now reasons I didn't put one back on better flow and I did not want to purchase something I did not want anyways. Win win for me I suppose. Others results may vary.
Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A properly functioning cat will not affect exhaust flow. While Dennis has a valid point regarding the dangers of oil drips, a heat shield above the cat would address that issue (although better to maintain the car so there are no drips, anyway. Besides if there is a drip, it's either going to hit the cat or a hot exhaust pipe, so I don't see much difference either way.)

As a side note, over the years I've gotten used to breathing. I'd kinda miss that.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Habanera Hal:

As a side note, over the years I've gotten used to breathing. I'd kinda miss that.

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A small oil leak is not going to cause a fire considering that the oil will more than likely hit an exhaust maniflod first. All you are going to get is a bit of smoke. It is bad enough that all the global warmers blame car enthusiasts for all of the worlds troubles, we do not have to give them more reasons to blame us. My car has no muffler, but it has a cat. And it purrrs.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 12-08-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

It is bad enough that all car enthusiasts blame cat deleters for all of the worlds troubles...

With apologies to wftb for altering his post ... but it was done just to demonstrate that generalizing about any group is rather silly.

I'm a car enthusiast, and I enjoy breathing clean air. People will often do whatever they feel they can get away with... but please, if you're a cat deleter, don't try and state that catalytic converters make no difference to air quality. Stating so only denies the reality of the situation.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2019 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:
A small oil leak is not going to cause a fire considering that the oil will more than likely hit an exhaust maniflod first. All you are going to get is a bit of smoke.
Yup, Dennis (and others) is once again self justifying to drive he's cars illegally in N.J. w/ and w/o "Antique" tags also requiring all safety and emissions parts. Just filing a special tag form is Fraud knowing car doesn't meet rules for the tag or will driving it ignoring driving restriction to show/club events etc.

You have to dump a lot more oil on the exhaust and cat to start a fire.
You won't even start a fire driving over most small or medium crap like shopping bags.
You might smell them burning but not a fire 99% of times driving any car including Fiero.

Now Parked on crap, leaves, tall grass maybe a cat can start a fire but then all cars can do the same. Many OM say Not to park in/on that for this reason might cause a fire.
You still need to have more oil dripping on a cat to have a fire.

You have more New and old vehicles w/ electrical issues including fires w/ or w/o Recalls orders from NHTSA etc.
In past 10 years GM Vehicles along have many Recalls for electrical problems and fires. Had a store owner near me w/ New GM truck had it burn down while parked for hours cause by electric problems.

Fiero and most others have + battery cable that have to route so won't touch exhaust or get cut by any number of things. Like OE L4 Fiero have + battery cable get cut by WP pulley if 1 OE clip is gone for any reason. If have Recall oil shield, that can cut the same wire too if not careful.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock