88 head light won't stay up by jhobbins
Started on: 10-02-2019 03:45 PM
Replies: 12 (369 views)
Last post by: fierobear on 10-09-2019 07:19 PM
jhobbins

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhobbinsSend a Private Message to jhobbinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I bought an 85 GT that has 88 headlights swapped in. The drivers side headlight will not stay up. It feels like spinning the knob does nothing past a certain point (about half way up). I scanned the headlight threads but did not see anyone with this issue. The lift arm does not have the clips, so I don't believe I can rebuild them. Is my only option to replace?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The three plastic pucks are probably shot. It’s an easy fix. There must be a fix thread.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get new motor(s)
See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/143008.html

Originally posted by fierobear:
The three plastic pucks are probably shot. It’s an easy fix. There must be a fix thread.
If true installing Delrin "pucks" then motors just breaks again sooner or later.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128600.html

Fixing/rebuilding gen2 is easier then gen1 but Not as simple as most posts here and other sites claims including anyone selling Delrin pins or metal gear.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/87...2:g:s8sAAOxyPLpRfKXu

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top 1988 Fiero Formula
2018 Ford Ecosport Ecoboost 2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:
Here is what you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/87...2:g:s8sAAOxyPLpRfKXu
Nope. White pins are hard Nylon/Delrin and motor(s) break again w/ bad gear, output shaft or both. Is only a matter of Time and how poorly their installed and why some last years and others days to weeks.
Most slap the hard pins in and do little to nothing else and think is done. Suckers.
jhobbins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhobbinsSend a Private Message to jhobbinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll probably pick up motors, right now the ones in there don't work anyway. I'll still need to rebuild that arm though right?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
link between output shaft and bucket usually works or not.
W/o a pic not sure why you think that part is bad.

Now if you mean the pivots have bad plastic bearings/bushing... Rivet pivots can't be fix easy. Need to find older w/ clips on the pivots.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

If you find old ones etc.
Most oil/grease attack the plastic and cause more problems.
So If you want to lube, clean all, spray metal parts w/ Dry Teflon.
If old ones already has oil then get new bushings soon.
jhobbins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jhobbinsSend a Private Message to jhobbinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

link between output shaft and bucket usually works or not.
W/o a pic not sure why you think that part is bad.

Now if you mean the pivots have bad plastic bearings/bushing... Rivet pivots can't be fix easy. Need to find older w/ clips on the pivots.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

If you find old ones etc.
Most oil/grease attack the plastic and cause more problems.
So If you want to lube, clean all, spray metal parts w/ Dry Teflon.
If old ones already has oil then get new bushings soon.

I can grab a picture on my lunch break. It feels loose, like it's not connected tight down below. I can freely move the headlight up and down, but it doesn;t stay up
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2019 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That triangular piece shown in Ogre's picture will pivot. At certain points in the up and down travel of the assembly, you can lift the headlight by hand. You may not really have an issue with linkage.

That triangular piece of linkage also has to be positioned a certain way when reassembling in order to make the headlight fully extend and retract.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 10-04-2019).]

jhobbins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhobbinsSend a Private Message to jhobbinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems like the bushings in the motor were just shot. I'm trying to replace them now but I'm having a hell of a time seperatig the motor from the arm. I don't have any clips in my arm, and the nut is off the part of the motor that connects to the arm but I can't get it seperated.
88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello JHobbins, I have just gone through this in the past 3 days. '88 GT so I don't quite get why you can't get the link off the motor shaft. If the motor is loose on the 3 bolts and you give a shot of PB Blaster it should come off the flats pretty easy. When reassembling you must start with the light in the down position and the mount bolts loose but not off. Now orient the triangular piece with the long nose pointing up in line with the motor. Next rotate the motor knob to line up the flats with the link so it slips on. Now rotate the knob to get the light partway up enough so the arm clears the shaft threads so you can get the nut back on. Now tighten up your 3 motor mount bolts and you should be golden. Hope this helps and good luck!
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2019 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To remove the small arm from the shaft, loosen the nut so that about half of it's threads are still in contact with the threads on the shaft. Using a pair of pliers or vice grips, grasp the arm. Holding the motor suspended by the arm, strike the nut straight on. The nut is to protect the threads of the shaft. Don't be tempted to pry between the arm and motor case. As you strike the nut, you will eventually see the gap between the arm and nut become smaller until the arm touches the nut again. You should then be able to remove the nut and work the shaft up and down to remove it.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2019 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Get new motor(s)
See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/143008.html

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fierobear:
If true installing Delrin "pucks" then motors just breaks again sooner or later.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128600.html

Fixing/rebuilding gen2 is easier then gen1 but Not as simple as most posts here and other sites claims including anyone selling Delrin pins or metal gear.

[/QUOTE]

Point taken, although I’ve rebuilt several of these and never had a subsequent motor or gear failure. My 88GT has 349,000 miles and I replaced the pucks some years ago.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock