Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  automatic transmission from an 88 2.5 has went out, Does anyone know what to do? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
automatic transmission from an 88 2.5 has went out, Does anyone know what to do? by handymanpat
Started on: 01-20-2016 12:13 AM
Replies: 49 (777 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 01-24-2016 06:51 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by handymanpat:

I really want to put up a photo for you to see. How do you do that

Did you try the Pennocks Image Poster? That'll put the pics on permanently. You can use other methods, but the pics sometimes disappear.

IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just noticed that your car has the t tops. That would be really cool to have.

That's an image previously posted by someone else here.

I myself would never own a T-Top. Living in a rain forest, I don't need the grief of a leaky roof.

I don't know how to put a photo up. How do you post photos?

If you're running Windows... PIP

Images can be no wider than 1024 pixels, and the file size can be no larger than 300 kb.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-23-2016).]

handymanpat

Feedback score:    (48)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for handymanpatSend a Private Message to handymanpatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see that it is the body style of an 86 gt notchback but mine is an 88. Is that more rare to find?
Thanks Pat
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I see that it is the body style of an 86 gt notchback but mine is an 88. Is that more rare to find?

Since there's no such thing as an "86 gt notchback"... I'd say yeah, that's pretty rare.

An '88 GT has the aero nose and trim. An '88 coupe looks like a Formula and/or an '87 coupe.

I don't know what exactly you've got there, but keep in mind it's quite easy for a previous owner to have swapped body parts.

Any luck with PIP ?

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mention that it has a "worn out 2.5". What makes you say this? Have you done a wet/dry compression check on the engine? That will tell you a lot about the condition.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

You mention that it has a "worn out 2.5". What makes you say this? Have you done a wet/dry compression check on the engine? That will tell you a lot about the condition.

I took the wife's chevette to the dealer for a diagnosis of her engine problem, back when we were first married, and when we got to the dealer they said we replaced, a dozen different things. I asked why, it was just in for a diagnosis, you were never told to try and fix anything. I argued with the owner of the dealership about it in the show room, loudly and he ushered me back into the garage and I told him you had no right to try and fix anything, just diagnose the problem, rip all the crap off you put on and put the old stuff back on, none of it helped the problem and you still don't know what the problem was. But of course they had already thrown all the old parts off, just a con to get people to pay for things they did that found nothing,

Dam idiots never did a wet dry test, the mechanic must have been right out of tech school or the dealership did this all the time to everyone. On the ride home the car dropped a valve into the number 1 cylinder and locked up the engine. Why they never did a wet test is still a mystery to me.

when we finally got home Melanie's dad and I ripped the valve cover off and the valve was no where to be found so we ripped the head off and low and behold there was the valve, sideways in number one cylinder.

I will never understand why people, especially mechanics don't do tests before throwing parts at a problem to fix it. We have become such a disposable society is beyond me. I have bought cars that had seized engines and fixed them and made money when I sold them. Test, Test, Test until you find the problem, Never just throw parts at any problem !

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-24-2016).]

handymanpat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for handymanpatSend a Private Message to handymanpatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to crank the engine a bit to get it to finally get going so I had guessed it to not have good compression, once it starts it spits oil but you are right, I will grab a compression tester down at auto zone and check them so that I can be accurate when I sell it. I am curious now to see what they read. based on having old tires out engines in the past I guessed this to be in that category. I will let you know what I find out when I test it. I had put new plugs in it when I started it but the air cleaner was really dirty and the plugs were pretty old. I did not take off the cap and rotor (or what ever it is) to check that out but I will.
Mostly I have been grabbing what I need and I have been working on the other car. Its like I have a free pick and pull in my driveway!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had to crank the engine a bit to get it to finally get going so I had guessed it to not have good compression, once it starts it spits oil but you are right, I will grab a compression tester down at auto zone and check them so that I can be accurate when I sell it. I am curious now to see what they read. based on having old tires out engines in the past I guessed this to be in that category. I will let you know what I find out when I test it. I had put new plugs in it when I started it but the air cleaner was really dirty and the plugs were pretty old. I did not take off the cap and rotor (or what ever it is) to check that out but I will.
Mostly I have been grabbing what I need and I have been working on the other car. Its like I have a free pick and pull in my driveway!

Do the dry test first, write the numbers down of each cylinders test, then do a wet test of them again, then look at the numbers, just a dry test can only tell you so much. Like my example of the dealership who only did the dry compression test and never figured out the problem. The number differences will tell you more, the wet test would have given them a starting point, never do just one kind of compression test.

Smoking at startup is common for a bad valve seal, not a bad repair but you will have to take the valve cover off of the offending cylinder.

But then you won't listen to me because I made a joke that you took as an insult so do what ever floats your boat.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 01-24-2016).]

handymanpat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for handymanpatSend a Private Message to handymanpatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The dry test from cylinder 1-4 was 130, 120, 90, 90
The wet test was 145, 145, 140, 140
For the wet test I let it run for 10 minutes and it changed the reading quite a bit on number 3 and 4
The engine Is probably fine for driving the car around, it had sat for several weeks. It is difficult to start and I had to give it a couple of shots of starting fluid to get it going. I bet it just needs a little more maintenance to the electrical or maybe the timing.
This time it did not spit oil, I think it just did that upon start up after not being run for a while.
Well, someone can buy a running 2.5 with an extra working trans. and lots of red body parts!
Thanks Pat
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oil rings are gone in the low cylinders, I forget the % they are supposed to be from the highest to the lowest but yours seem at little below that. I think its 10% but with my memory who knows, if I am wrong some one will come along with what the books numbers are But that doesn't mean the engine is trash. they still have value to someone, maybe not you but someone, and if they have value to someone you could sell it, maybe not $30,000 but some value. Hey it could pay for something else to whatever you decide.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock