Started on: 09-04-2015 02:44 PM
Replies: 13 (700 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 09-20-2015 01:43 PM
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a five speed manual transmission in an 87 Mera that I have owned for about 10 years. I always assumed that it was a Getrag 282 and even remember ordering a double insulated Getrag transmission cable for this vehicle from Rodney Dickman. Due to a recent issue, the transmission has been removed for the first time since I owned the vehicle. The shift fork was bent and apparently kept the engine engaged to the transmission even though all of the hydraulics seemed to function correctly.

When the shift fork was removed this is what it looked like.

A new fork suitable for the 282 transmission was ordered and when it arrived it looked like this.

The two forks were different with respect to shaft size and "ears" on the fork.

After doing some additional research, the only fork with "ears" that I can find was associated with a four cylinder (Duke) engine. I know that all three standard transmissions available (Muncie, Getrag, and Isuzu) will all directly bolt up to the V6 engine but do not really know how the internals were arranged. Based on the photos below can anyone positively identify the transmission and confirm which specific transmission this i? I will clean the transmission in a day or two and see if I can get numbers from the case but I would really like to confirm which transmission is installed to facilitate acquiring the necessary parts for a repair.

Help resolving this issue would be gratefully appreciated.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 09-04-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-04-2015 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/063783.html

Can't say for 100% certainty from the pics you posted, but it looks like a 282 Getrag.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That transmission is indeed a 282 Getrag.
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 86-87 OEM part # is 8672937.

It might be worthwhile to watch ebay, I picked an aftermarket made in USA for my 88 Getrag in my 88 Mera for $40.00.

The pic that Oreilly Auto has for part # CF-104 looks like your pic.

There's one on ebay that looks like yours also, I would ask the seller if the pic in the listing is the actual part he has for sale before buying.

eBay item number: 161785179803

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clu...em25ab25ee9b&vxp=mtr

Rock Auto shows the same pic and has one also., put the OEM # in their part number search to find it.

Larry
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that the 282 cable worked on the transmission but do wonder about the apparent discrepancy wrt the shift fork. I am glad that other people also believe that it is a Getrag 282.

Nelson
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2015 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can see the differences here. They sent you the wrong one.

http://www.fierostore.com/P...Browse.aspx?d=85&p=1

It's a very expensive part, so you may want to hunt up a used one.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-04-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed! They sent you the wrong fork!
Looks like several vendors have the wrong part number too.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-05-2015).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2015 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Getrag in your pics is indeed the earlier (86-87) variation.
The later one had the dipstick in the side of the differential housing. (The most obvious external indicator.)

FWIW, I had to replace the bushing where the shaft goes through, on another (long deceased) Getrag that I had.
When I ordered the "bushing installer" tool from Rodney, the 88 tool was different, as well.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-05-2015).]

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2015 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a quick update three suppliers have failed to deliver the new transmission fork and did not even tell me that they could not supply it until after the part was supposed to be delivered. That cost about a 10 day delay in repairs. Hopefully the one I just ordered from eBay will fit and the transmission can go back together sometime next week. If this does not work out I may be forced to pay the high Fiero Store price for a replacement.

If anyone else has the appropriate fork on hand please let me know.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 09-10-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2015 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
The Getrag in your pics is indeed the earlier (86-87) variation.
The later one had the dipstick in the side of the differential housing. (The most obvious external indicator.)

FWIW, I had to replace the bushing where the shaft goes through, on another (long deceased) Getrag that I had.
When I ordered the "bushing installer" tool from Rodney, the 88 tool was different, as well.

My 87 has a dipstick on the driver side of the diff housing. So if that's the only difference between an 88 Getrag, then there must be no difference.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2015 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A note for anyone looking for a Getrag 282 shift fork, they are near impossible to find new and extremely expensive if you do find one and are almost nonexistant. Published prices are $50 to $400 and virtually nobody actually has one. The stock answer is that it has to come from a manufacturer and is on backorder with no anticipated delivery date. I did find some used ones for $100 to $175 but one of the lower priced forks was in Canada. If you need to locate one and have no luck doing so, send mea PM and I may be able to help out.

Nelson
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2015 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
My 87 has a dipstick on the driver side of the diff housing. So if that's the only difference between an 88 Getrag, then there must be no difference.

Is it possible that you may have a very late 87 Getrag?
The "common knowledge" (right or wrong) seems to indicate that the 88 (and later) Getrag had the dip stick in the driver's side of the diff housing. The Getrag that was in my recently sold Automoda had a screw-in cap in the side of the gear housing that faced the trunk, so it was obviously an earlier piece. (Every 88 I've ever seen had the diff mounted dip stick.) It would make sense that the "dipstick" change was made at the same time as the clutch fork change, but that doesn't necessarily make it true, I suppose.
For the different release fork, Fiero Store makes the distinction between 88 and earlier. Likewise with Rodney and the bushing tool.
ZaraSpOOk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2015 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaraSpOOkSend a Private Message to ZaraSpOOkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so how's your TOB and input seal/sleve to the tranny?

if the fork is bent, there is a good chance one of the other two are also a problem
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2015 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ZaraSpOOk:

so how's your TOB and input seal/sleve to the tranny?

if the fork is bent, there is a good chance one of the other two are also a problem

They are also being replaced (if the Fiero Store ever delivers them). I am not certain right now but I will do an inspection tomorrow to see if the case has cracked also. I did not see any evidence of this earlier but the exterior of the transmission is now clean and ready for a look see.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock