Voltmeter needle beats in time with the turn signals by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 01-11-2015 04:16 PM
Replies: 14 (685 views)
Last post by: theogre on 01-17-2015 10:54 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, this is new. Just noticed the voltmeter needle will deflect slightly, but very visibly, with every audible click of the turn signal indicator. What's up with that?

------------------
John Wayne as John Bernard Books in The Shootist...
" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

My rides...
1988 GT with a 3.4L V6 automatic
2006 Harley Sportster
'cause I love the twisties on two wheels or four.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/043240.html

In your case it may be one of the chassis grounds, but it is definitely a grounding problem.. See the Ogre's cave if you don't know where they are.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-11-2015).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty common. The voltmeter is fed by the GAGE fuse, very small diameter wire, and measures the voltage of the electrical system, rather than only BATTERY voltage.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very common. nothing to worry about. been sing that in multiple cars for 40 years.
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Install LEDs in the turn signals.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J Gunsett:
Install LEDs in the turn signals.

No. First Fix any wiring problems.
Turning on turn signal draws ~7 amps w/ OE bulbs... The meter shows volts at the dash as said above. Brake and HL likely shows same or more voltage drop on dash meter.
Weird volt meter is a symptom of many ground issues that can, often does, effect the whole car.
Likely several cables/wires and grounds are loose, corroded, etc, and will get worse.
See my Cave, Wire Service

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-12-2015).]

sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

Well, this is new.

Just started doing this? Usually doesnt start out of the blue unless you just never noticed it before until now. Since you have 88 the CS alternator style is less prone to this, but you might have weak battery, initial signs of failing alternator, or weak belt but that shold be squealing if it was not catching.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

Just started doing this? Usually doesnt start out of the blue unless you just never noticed it before until now. Since you have 88 the CS alternator style is less prone to this, but you might have weak battery, initial signs of failing alternator, or weak belt but that shold be squealing if it was not catching.

Yep. Just started recently. I bought a length of ground strap yesterday. I hope to install that this weekend as suggested above. I also want to track down, clean and re-tighten all the grounds listed in the Ogre's chart. Hoping that will clear up a couple of other minor annoyances as well.

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/ecmwire.htm

It's a great source of information. Thanks Ogre!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The volt meter/gage pod is grounded under the dash on the left side of the HVAC system.
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had this problem an ran all the extra grounds that everyone had suggested. It did not help.
Found the problem on mine was on the positive side. The one smaller single wire coming off the battery to the distribution block near the battery had a corroded connection. This wire supplies all the positive side for everything in the car except for the starter. The heavy cable is only for the starter the smaller one carries the load for everything. I cut mine out and installed a new much heavier wire. No more pulsing volt meter, no more bouncing oil pressure, all lights much brighter, power windows much faster, smoother idle.
Might be worth looking at.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1Packrat:
I had this problem an ran all the extra grounds that everyone had suggested. It did not help.
Found the problem on mine was on the positive side. The one smaller single wire coming off the battery to the distribution block near the battery had a corroded connection. This wire supplies all the positive side for everything in the car except for the starter. The heavy cable is only for the starter the smaller one carries the load for everything. I cut mine out and installed a new much heavier wire. No more pulsing volt meter, no more bouncing oil pressure, all lights much brighter, power windows much faster, smoother idle.

Not really.... Is wire to/from the battery.
ALT output wire connects both lugs at distribution block is most power to everything when engine is running. I would clean up and silicon grease the dist bock.

Wire to the battery will cause problem because battery job to keep car volts stable. also Bad wire can cause problem charge the battery.

Iffy Alt or alt wiring can do this too. See my Cave, Alternator Sense

PFF
System Bot
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1Packrat:

I will definitely check that too. Thanks!

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not a problem that needs fixed. You will also note that turning on headlites, ac/heat fan, also do the same thing. Ive had quite a few cars that did it, lots that didnt. It was never any kind of problem. I believe in not fixing whats not broke. It can never hurt to have too many grounds on a plastic car though.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
Its not a problem that needs fixed. You will also note that turning on headlites, ac/heat fan, also do the same thing. Ive had quite a few cars that did it, lots that didnt. It was never any kind of problem. I believe in not fixing whats not broke. It can never hurt to have too many grounds on a plastic car though.

Dash Volt meters can drop a bit even when the system is perfect.
When you see volt drops on many dash meters, is often a symptom something is a problem.
You can check w/ a real volt meter.

Voltage drops (wiki) can be many places at once or just one loose/rotted connection or wire.

Voltage Drop Test | Delco Remy Tech Tip vid at youtube
Diagnosing Voltage Drop from Fluke meters
more? google: voltage drop test

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-17-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32180 posts
Member since Mar 99
ps
Alt body and mounting hardware is ground for the alt... Common to see ground problems for the alt.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-17-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock