LIFTER SITUATION by RPYRAZOO
Started on: 11-19-2014 06:58 AM
Replies: 15 (401 views)
Last post by: dobey on 12-20-2014 10:45 AM
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an '87 GT with a stock 2.8L. with 111,000 mi. I'm hearing a "clicking" sound from the valve cover at idle and am wondering if the cause could be the lifters or valves etc. If the problem is the lifters, does the engine have to be removed to rectify the situation? This may be a game breaker for me because the labor cost of the job could prove to be too expensive, if I can even find someone to do the work.
How much is average for the job and how long does it usually take to complete?
Thanks again for all your help and input.
Rich
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It might just be a rocker thet needs adjusting/tightening. If it is lifter the engine does not need to be removed to replace them. It's a fix that can be accomplished fairly easily. It is time consuming but not terrible.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, you not only made my day-----you made my YEAR!
Rich
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RPYRAZOO:

Thanks, you not only made my day-----you made my YEAR!
Rich

Don't clap yet. You may want to check for a leak on or around the exhaust manifold which can make a very similar sound. If that turns out to be true you could be in for a major surprise, assuming its a 2.8.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes the clicking sound can be an exhaust leak. If you get a length of surgical tubing, you can stick one end in your ear and use the other end as a sound probe. That will tell you exactly where the sound comes from. On a 2.8 it is far more likely you have an exhaust leak at the manifold than a rocker loose. Either way it is fixable but the exhaust leak will be a pita.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:
Don't clap yet. You may want to check for a leak on or around the exhaust manifold which can make a very similar sound. If that turns out to be true you could be in for a major surprise, assuming its a 2.8.

Spoon

Honestly, I'd prefer an exhaust leak to adjusting rockers or changing lifters or valve seals, on the 2.8. Only "worry" with the exhaust manifold leaking is breaking a bolt as they like to rust. But patience and proper prep should generally keep that from happening. With anything under the valve covers, you're going to be pulling the intake manifold apart and dealing with 30 year old brittle plastic and rubber, having to replace a lot more gaskets than just the one or two.

Pulling the exhaust manifolds also lets you do a quick, easy, and cheap upgrade to the manifolds to clean them up for better flow.
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the response and experience. SPOON: I'm not one for surprises, so if the problem isn't the lifter, what am I going to be expecting. Also if the problem is an exhaust manifold leak, does the engine have to be removed to rectify the situation?
Rich
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fist of all I'd welcome a rod being thrown thru the block and penetrating the bulkhead before having to do this job again.

Best case scenario: The factory forgot to tighten the manifold bolts and they all vibrated loose. 5 minute fix!!

Worse case scenario:

I had the worse case scenario. Heard a mild ticking sound that went away after the engine warmed up. narrowed it down to the forward manifold which is ALWAYS the troublemaker. Rolled underneath with wrench in hand to take a peek and discovered 2 bolts had no heads. I sprayed everything down with every lubricant on the market and went back at it a few days later only to have the remaining bolts break off with little or no effort. Now I'm totally -----d.

Bought a right angle drill and short bits for clearance and an easy-out. No luck. Ordered engine gasket set and pulled both heads. Bought a drill press and some taps and went to work on these heads. Installed exhaust manifold studs & nuts instead of bolts. A few spark plugs even twisted off and I had to chase those threads. I also sent the manifolds out for porting and reinforcement welding.

Put everything back together and hope I never have to do this again. Guess I'm fortunate to know how to do my own work but can imagine what this would of cost at a repair shop.

Just be prepared for lots of stuff breaking and when you think it can't get any worse it will. Trust me on this one.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

FTF Engineering

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you look up "Worst Case Scenario", I think there's a pic of what Spoon went through!

That's no fun at all! Let's hope yours isn't like that!
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming the "clicking" is either/or an exhaust leak/lifter problem, what if I do nothing and live with the noise?
Rich
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-11-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RPYRAZOO:

Assuming the "clicking" is either/or an exhaust leak/lifter problem, what if I do nothing and live with the noise?
Rich

If it's an exhaust leak, it could suck air into the exhaust system can cause excessive heat as unburned fuel in the exhaust gas ignites, and could also affect oxygen sensor readings, and cause increased wear on the catalytic converter.

If it's a lifter, failure could be catastrophic if it results in a valve and piston coming in contact.
PFF
System Bot
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dobey: Thanks. I suppose I'd better have it corrected, whatever it is.
Rich
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it does sound like you have an exhaust leak--I had the same thing---here is a link to the thread---hope this helps

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000016.html

------------------
Pat Jones

RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat: Thanks much for the write-up, seems like that's all I'll (my mechanic) will need.
Rich
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2014 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't worry about valve to piston contact since the valve spring will keep the valve closed.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2014 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tuna Helper:

I wouldn't worry about valve to piston contact since the valve spring will keep the valve closed.

Unless the lifter is sticking, pushrod is bent, etc… and the valve gets held open.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock