How hot should my duke run? by Brendo907
Started on: 11-04-2014 04:12 PM
Replies: 34 (507 views)
Last post by: Brendo907 on 01-27-2015 10:04 PM
Brendo907

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone, i daily drive my fiero to work and noticed lately it doesn't seem to be getting up to operating temp. Just some background I drive a 85 2m4 with the 5sp and the 4cyl duke. I live in North Pole, Alaska. And work in Fairbanks, Alaska. The temps have been dropping (its 0F) right now. It's about a 16 mile drive of steady 55-65 depending on the roads. When I get home the needle isn't even on the mark in between 100 and 220. Any suggestions on where it should be? I will probably put a new thermostat in it if there's one at the napa here. I also have most of my radiator blocked off (it's an arctic thing lol). It's hard finding the answer online because everyone always has overheating problems.
Thanks everyone
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't just rely on the temp gauge as they are not that reliable. Are you getting heat in the cabin, I mean really warm air?
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not like it was last year when my friend owned it, it would cook you when it was -30. It seems just recently it started. I used to have to open a window on my way home and now heat is on the entire time
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does sound like a thermostat, most will fail in the open position to prevent overheating.
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a heat issue last winter. Ended up being my heater core had a very small leak in it. Car never overheated and the temps were below normal, but would not heat up the car for anything. take a peek at yours and check its condition.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like a new thermostat is in order. They're both inexpensive and easy to replace.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Spend a couple extra dollars and get the superior one - Stant SuperStat 45819 (195º)

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the past 5 years, I've had to replace the thermostat 3 times ! mine is a 2.5 duke, but I live in Fla.
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, I went with the napa #264, it's a 195 degree and appears to of been on the shelf for awhile. Also made in USA. It's all they had and I don't go into town till later on. Installing now, I'll let you know the results. The guy always gives me a good price at napa because he thinks my car is cool lol
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Brendo907

46 posts
Member since Jul 2014
Wow that's an easy thermostat
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brendo907:

Wow that's an easy thermostat

Told ya.

Did you see anything obviously wrong with the old one?
johnguzman1212

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnguzman1212Send a Private Message to johnguzman1212Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ive been told and I can tell you from personal experience temps going to 240 f is normal on the duke
PFF
System Bot
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old one I could still open with my finger, still put the new one in and no results. Leaning towards the heater core. I'm not leaking coolant so it may be plugged up. Anyone want to give me some insite for tearing into it in the morning? I am a confident mechanic and have a factory service manual for the fiero. I just like knowing what I'm getting into. Better hurry it's going to be -15 tonight.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...put the new one in and no results. Leaning towards the heater core. I'm not leaking coolant so it may be plugged up.

I'm missing something here. How would a plugged heater core prevent the engine from reaching operating temperature? If anything, it might accelerate the process!

i daily drive my fiero to work and noticed lately it doesn't seem to be getting up to operating temp.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-05-2014).]

Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I was told the temp gauge may not read right and I'm not sure how to accurately tell without hooking up a new gauge and probe
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Brendo907

46 posts
Member since Jul 2014
Is it possible that I need to burp the system? If I have read right that usually causes overheating. When I blocked off my radiator, I added a little coolant to be sure I'm up to a 40/60 mixture because sometimes I park outside and -50 isn't uncommon. Actually most places don't even sell 50/50 coolant because of freezing. The joys of being up north.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even in winter, Duke should be at full temp after 15 minutes. It is pretty rock steady at 195 while driving. It will go up if moving very slow and/or idling.

If yours failed in the open position, you are lucky. Mine failed in the closed position on the coldest day of the year a couple years back. Just seemed weird to have an over heating car, when it was 2 below zero outside.
Duke Thermostat, easy to change. One of the nicer things about the Duke.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Does sound like a thermostat, most will fail in the open position to prevent overheating.

Most thermostats fail in the CLOSED position, not in the OPEN position. There are Fail-safe thermostats that do remain open when an overheating condition arises.
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000009.html Follow this guide to check your heater core, before you pull off the lines do a visual inspection of the system. I'm not saying this is your problem but when I had no heat it was my problem.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was told the temp gauge may not read right and I'm not sure how to accurately tell without hooking up a new gauge and probe.

You need to connect a scanner or a computer (with the proper cable and software) to your Fiero's ALDL port. This will tell you what temperature the engine is actually reaching (along with a lot of other helpful data).
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can check the sender itself. Use an ohmmeter....
Coolant temperature:
1365 ohms @ 100*F (38*C)
55 ohms @ 260*F (127*C)

I remember seeing a chart here for resistance of the sender at various temps but I searched a bit and didn't find it.
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the ohm meter, thank you for that. I drove part way home last night in 4th at about 3k, it didn't change anything, I tried driving with the heat on, didn't change anything. When the needle gets to just below the first mark it stays there, it doesn't fluctuate at all. I can also see my mileage isn't what it was a few months ago which leads me to believe it's not hitting operating temp, too bad the gauge isn't just messed up
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did the new thermostat easily snap into place? The "arms" remained straight, so as to push against the housing cap?

If, that's IF your engine isn't reaching proper operating temperature, I suspect coolant is getting past the thermostat when it shouldn't be.
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea wiggled the old one out, wiggled the new one into place and it seemed nice and tight. I'm heading out to go mess with it some more
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Brendo907

46 posts
Member since Jul 2014
I have 1018 ohms at 120 degrees, I have a candy thermometer in the coolant
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Brendo907

46 posts
Member since Jul 2014
I took the new thermostat out, stuck my finger down there hoping to find an old o ring or something, nothing. I put it back in and was very sure it's seated properly. I'm going to remove my radiator block off just so I have everything like it was. This is such an off problem :/
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If heater... Heater core or output port on engine can be blocked.
See my Cave, Heater and rest of coolant section.

Never trust dash gauge.
Scan ALDL data or try using IR thermometer or contact thermocouple.
if using Ohm, make sure is right sensor... Gauge sender are different than ECT sensor. Use ECT sensor and data from FSM in my cave, Sensors Quick Ref

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright so get this, I un blocked my radiator, on my way to work and in 5 minutes of driving (10 min or so warming up, how ever long it took me to make a lunch) my needle was at the mark in between 100 and 220, heat was warm. And I had to turn it on low because it was too hot. I guess this problem did start when I blocked it off. Strange creatures. It did just stay steady on that line, so are we good? I think the dash gauge is just wrong
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alright so get this, I un blocked my radiator, on my way to work and in 5 minutes of driving (10 min or so warming up, how ever long it took me to make a lunch) my needle was at the mark in between 100 and 220, heat was warm. And I had to turn it on low because it was too hot. I guess this problem did start when I blocked it off. Strange creatures. It did just stay steady on that line, so are we good? I think the dash gauge is just wrong

Maybe...
I have ALDL scanner reporting 210°F but Dash gauges well below 200. This is today when working on engine.
Gauge on Dash are famous lairs.
Oil gauge too...
Oil sender is 0-90Ω but fixed 82Ω will almost peg my gauge.

Normal Tstat can make engine temp to rise/fall by itself. Stant SuperStant helps that.
See my Cave, Thermostat

Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been reading through your cave, that's a nice collection of information your sharing.
I'll have to see if I can track down one of those scanners, I don't even know if auto parts stores have them/ know how to use them
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OBD1 scanners are easy to find.
example www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html made by phonedawgz

USB or maybe Bluetooth are best
Can make or buy serial cable but many serial ports on laptops etc have trouble with odd bit rates used in GM ECM/PCM. The chip set in many PC are the problem.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-06-2014).]

Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Figured id re visit this one with an update... Still not much for heat, it's decent and I have tried a few thermostats now and have a 195 in there. I think I will install an actual coolant temp gauge and if it reads higher than my dash then I will possibly head towards a heater core. It's -42 outside right now and heat is kinda nice! I made sure the mixing door cable moved freely aswell. Any other tips? Thanks again everyone
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oddball stuff.. Mouse nest in the heater core? Cooling fan isnt stuck on is it? Coolant level full?
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coolant is full, It never gets warm enough to kick the fan on and I didn't really drive it this summer so not sure if it does or not, I'll find out in a few months. I'll try popping the cover off under the dash and see if there's junk in there

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll try popping the cover off under the dash and see if there's junk in there

A related thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123929.html
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good info, I pulled the blower and the resistor and found it completely clean in there. I'll get to the core tommorow, I ran out of time before work. I found my heat was ok ish running on the second fan speed, any higher and it cools down.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock