Swap info by jholda
Started on: 09-12-2014 08:12 PM
Replies: 7 (358 views)
Last post by: jholda on 09-15-2014 09:03 PM
jholda

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jholdaSend a Private Message to jholdaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well like anyone planning on doing a swap I do have some questions. I've read through so many build threads and still haven't figured out what I need to get specifically.
I finally acquired an 88 after searching for a year. I've always dreamed of a 3800 swap but didn't want to do it on my 87. Anyway, heres what I'm trying to figure out (because I've seen so many different methods so far)

I've emailed a couple guys at sinister performance on what engine parts I need. I will need an L67 lower end and an L36 upper end. The throttle body off of an F-body. And will probably have to have a transmission built for it. So which computer would I need? ODII but would it still need programming for the transmission?

How much of the original donor cars wire harness will I have to pull (or should I have a harness made)
Best engine mounts to get (or how to make my own)
Which axels to use (I've seen something about a passenger side van axel?)
brake upgrades? (booster, big brake, corvette, I did see a modified brake kit that uses the fiero caliper, an adapter and bigger rotors)
Is running air conditioning possible and what will I need?
I'd like to have cruise control as well so do I need the donor or can the fieros work?

The car is in Indiana back home (I'm a student in STL) and I have 1.5 years to prepare and find parts for the build. I've done work on cars but never an engine swap so I have no experience in mounting a new engine on a cradle ie. getting it centered and at the right level.

What do you guys think? Sorry for the questions but I cant seem to find all the answers I need. Thanks in advanced!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will need an L67 lower end and an L36 upper end. - Why?

The throttle body off of an F-body. - Why?

And will probably have to have a transmission built for it. - Why? You are a student. Save your money and run a stock 3800 SC S2 4T65E-HD.

So which computer would I need? - Will need to work with your tranny. If the 4T65E-HD depends on the year of your transmission.

ODII but would it still need programming for the transmission? - Yes

How much of the original donor cars wire harness will I have to pull (or should I have a harness made) - Entire donor engine harness either way if you build your own or have it built - shameless self promotion - http://reddevilriver.com

Best engine mounts to get (or how to make my own) - If you don't have the equipment to make your own it is better to buy them. If you are asking then I am thinking purchasing is the best way to go.

Is running air conditioning possible and what will I need? - Yes - Compressor and pressure transducer from the 3800 donor - custom lines to the Fiero firewall bulkhead - You will have to convert to R134a if you haven't already

I'd like to have cruise control as well so do I need the donor or can the fieros work? - The electro-vacuum cruise on the Fiero sucks. Use the digital cruise from the 3800.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-13-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:
I will need an L67 lower end and an L36 upper end. - Why?

L36 intake for going turbo, I would guess.
jholda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jholdaSend a Private Message to jholdaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bingo! Turbo 3800 is my dream car. And after I emailed Sinister performance I was told the L67 lower is strong enough to handle the turbo, L36 upper end has fewer injector holes. F-body intake for its size to what i understand and an early one without drive by wire.

I'm trying to gather up a parts list as of now. And was trying to find what was possible and what it would take to run it.

The guys at Sinister have been really helpful and will probably have them do the install/programming. I just wanted to get a lot of the work done before taking it up there to them (1.5 hours north of me).

Right now mounts are wiring are my biggest road block.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well if mounts and wiring are your biggest roadblocks then you're laughing because both can be bought easily from members here, one of which replied above (harness), and there's FIEROFLYER as well. For the mounts you can try here
jholda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jholdaSend a Private Message to jholdaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whose engine mounts are the best. In all the build threads I've read some stories of misalignment needing modification and just bad quality. I will more than likely have phonedawgz make the harness. I've got a year to get ready for this swap. Hopefully i'll be able to find a junkyard bound 3800 sc car as a donor in that time to pull the parts from.

Does anyone know the axels needed for the swap? Thanks everyone
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-15-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jholda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jholdaSend a Private Message to jholdaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome thanks for the threads. I don't know how I missed them. But I hope the first one's questions get answered soon.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock