battery drain doesn't drain with fuel pump fuse out by Grantman
Started on: 05-11-2014 08:34 AM
Replies: 16 (682 views)
Last post by: Grantman on 05-12-2014 08:31 AM
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
curious if this could still be a bad alternator diode or headlight relay. with the fuel pump fuse pulled battery doesn't drain. with fuse in it will drain and not turn over within 5 hours. could this still be symptoms of a bad alternator or do I focus only on the fuel circuit? SC3800 swap in a 1986 GT.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, LS1 TB
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60 - SOLD
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're using the old style Fiero oil pressure sender, disconnect it. There is a constant 12V going into it. If it fails, it goes to ground. Second thing is to disconnect the single blue wire on each of your headlights. With the aid of a helper put a multi-meter on your battery terminals and one at a time, disconnect the items to see if the voltage changes.
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like a shorted oil pressure switch. Does the fuel pump continually run when the car is off? You can disconnect the plug from the oil pressure switch to see if the problem goes away. You will lose the functionality of the oil pressure gauge, but as long as you know their is oil in the crank case, no problem.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm really not hearing the fuel pump running with fuse in or out or ignition turned to on or off. Do I need to be right next to it to hear it? I'm thinking it's got the stock SC3800 pressure switch.

[This message has been edited by Grantman (edited 05-11-2014).]

Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grantman

1418 posts
Member since Dec 2011
on second thought it looks like what's on a 2.8. haven't done a swap, bought the car with the 3800 already in it. so the GTP oil pressure sender is replaced by the old style because of the fuel circuit?
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When my oil pressure switch/sender went bad and caused the fuel pump to run all the time, it was so quiet that I ONLY heard it when I removed the gas cap and put my ear to the opening.

Originally posted by Grantman:

I'm really not hearing the fuel pump running with fuse in or out or ignition turned to on or off. Do I need to be right next to it to hear it? I'm thinking it's got the stock SC3800 pressure switch.

Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok, fuse in key on can hear the pump. key off can't hear the pump. probably not the oil pressure sender?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't hear my pump running, either but I found i had a bad oil pressure sender and that was what was killing my battery. Ironically, it was the newer style sender that I'd just installed to get away from the problems of the old style. Just happened to get a bad one. Rock Auto replaced it at no charge.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just about to edit my last post to ask the question even though the fuel pump isn't running if the switch is going to ground it will drain the battery without telling the fuel pump to pump. So I should be able to hook up a mult meter, unplug the sender and see my amps drop to confirm the switch is bad.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad fuel pump relay...on the rear firewall. There are 2 cube shaped relays...one is AC and one is fuel pump. Sounds like your points inside it are sticking.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oil pressure sender is a single wire unit. Post and screw on the back. Pulling about 4.75 amps at the battery.

PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The oil pressure sender should be a 3 wire sensor. On3 terminal, the orange with black, is the 12V. The others are fuel pump and gauge. They ground through the base of the sensor
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats what I expected to find, instead it's a single wire. sender is still screwed into the GTP oil filter holder but the sender is definately not from a stock fiero. The harness is from Dan but maybe the PO took some liberties?
Filter points down and the sender is screwed in pointing to the front and the back end points to the back of the car.

I'm expecting it to be some kind of relay gone bad or switch, although everything so far works, so if a relay it hasn't completely failed. The PO had it running fine for about a year and a half after the swap was done and then it started draining the battery so sure seems as though something failed, or came loose. Since it's on that fuse sure seems as though it should be something on that circuit vs the headlight relay although I didn't take a reading with the fuse out. maybe more than 1 thing.

Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grantman

1418 posts
Member since Dec 2011
here's a picture of what looks like my sender except I dont have the T and instead of a plug in mine has a thread on it so the wire is on a eyelit and secured with a nut. PO said he put in a different oil pressure gauge which it is that needed the different wiring and not the stock

Link didn't work

here's the thread that went along with that picture

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-078817.html

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't see the pictures in the other thread, but it sounds like you have one of the button style sending units like the Dukes use. Since you're dealing with a 3800 conversion, I'm not experienced with what harness makers do. I am probably of no more help.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose this type of sender could come apart inside just like a stock one and ground out causing a drain. started to unscrew the wire to check and didn't finish it. dumb SC newbie.
going to take it to a local electrical guru and see what he finds. radiator fan comes on all the time and the PO said it didn't do that for him so something else to check.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grantman

1418 posts
Member since Dec 2011
I really appreciate your suggestions Fierofool, it helps to have people pointing in certain directions based on prior experience.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock