Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  4.9 Cadillac Swap question Yes I have searched :)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
4.9 Cadillac Swap question Yes I have searched :) by Sowardcustoms
Started on: 05-01-2014 05:06 PM
Replies: 13 (720 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 05-07-2014 02:28 PM
Sowardcustoms

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SowardcustomsSend a Private Message to SowardcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I realize this swap isn't very popular these days I kinda missed that era. Anyway I am starting this armed with a wealth of information thanks to this forum although I wish I could read the fieroaddiction site that's no longer up.. He said he would email me some info but I never received it. So if anyone out there has any secrets they would like to send that would be great.. I have been searching for a while now and have slowly been accumulating parts I have a 86 GT auto with a tired v6. I recently acquired a complete sub frame drop out 1991 4.9 with trans and complete wiring harness pcm and bcm and most of the modules. My question is has anyone used the BCM? specifically for the Vats system I think it would be cool to use the vats ignition cylinder and possibly the auto headlight function and keyless.. Thanks...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always liked the 4.9 swaps,I cant help with info....but someone else can...Sorry
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I disagree that they aren't popular...many people are still doing the swap. Easiest V8 swap with tons of low end torque! Not the best for a track car, but for burning from light to light, one of the best bangs for the buck. I'm just working on the exhaust on my swap. I really love how everything is coming together.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129733.html

Unfortunately, I can't help with the actual question you asked...hopefully someone else will chime in. Make sure you document everything! Lots of pics! Good luck!
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too don't have an answer but here are several sites that discuss the conversion.......maybe a link to owners who can help

http://www.westcoastfiero.c...conversion_info.html

http://www.thefierofactory.com/perkins.php

http://www.engineerbill.net/fiero.shtml

hope this helps!

------------------
Mark
In the Great Northwest!

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VATs feeds directly to the PCM, not the BCM. For example on the 1991 '2240 PCM it feeds in on pin F10.

You do loose PCM control of the A/C compressor without the BCM. You also can only read the trouble codes via either the BCM/ via the heater controls and by the ALDL port.

You can do an Android ALDLdroid dash or TunerPro RT dash via the ALDL port.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-01-2014).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to keep it auto?

There are a number of VATS eliminator modules on the market. As the 4.9 is not a popular swap outside the Fiero community, there is very little support for tuning/modifying the original Caddy computer.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 05-02-2014).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TunerCATS OBD1 with the proper license can program the 4.9 ECM. So can PFF users StickPony and RockCrawler.

If you are going auto and just want VATs programmed out of it I can do it also.

VATs can be programmed out of the PCM.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-02-2014).]

Sowardcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SowardcustomsSend a Private Message to SowardcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What would a program charge be? I like the idea of the pass key but it may be more trouble than its worth. What else can you program out? I am using the caddy trans my car is an auto I don't want the trouble of a manual swap too. I drive a 2014 challenger R/T 6 speed everyday so having an auto around for comfortable cruising is nice..
hairballrm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do not dispair the loss of Fieroaddiction.com, behold waybackmachine.org

for you brother
http://web.archive.org/web/.../fieroaddiction.com/

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/ Please Like me on Facebook
Lots of good info on my original sales thread FS: Projector Retrofit Headlamp Buckets

Sowardcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SowardcustomsSend a Private Message to SowardcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hairballrm:

Do not dispair the loss of Fieroaddiction.com, behold waybackmachine.org

for you brother
http://web.archive.org/web/.../fieroaddiction.com/

Thank you sir..
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My thread may help a bit

Arn's build

I can tell you that I made a mistake leaving the stock transmission mounts in. There is way to much torque and those stock mounts give enough movement to crack the exhaust.

I haven't dyno'd it yet (I will) but I can tell you a 290 ft/bl clutch could not hold it.

Also the Spintech product dampens the sound down very well on a short exhaust

Arn

------------------

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 05-03-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock 2.8 tears front transmission mounts (at least it does when I drive) so I can't imagine anyone expecting them to live with a 4.9. My Northstar pounded my stock rear trans mount bracket into 3 pieces in a matter of a couple of months.
logical1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone knows of any resources on the wiring harness and ecm programming let me know. Im thinking of doing the 3800sc or 4.9 the sc is the dream but finding the 3800sc in north carolina cheap is being the pain in the ass. May be cheaper to do 4.9 plus the low end torque wouldnt be a bad idea either
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://reddevilriver.com

I do 4.9 harnesses

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock