best 4 motor for upgrades by fierodreamer201386
Started on: 01-26-2014 09:08 PM
Replies: 120 (2693 views)
Last post by: wftb on 02-19-2014 11:59 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep three years and the swap still isn't finished and also look at all the posts on the problems with the finished swaps.
IP: Logged
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Yep three years and the swap still isn't finished and also look at all the posts on the problems with the finished swaps.

sarcasm?
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't really compare an S-10 2.5 to the Fiero 2.5. It weighs at least 500 lbs. more depending on the model and the gearing is different. My 85 2M4 will pull in 5th gear from 45 mph. with no problem.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-29-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

sarcasm?

Troll, methinks.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Troll, methinks.

that would make more sense, we all know 2.5's don't "pull" lol, if a stock 2.8 can outrun it... ... lol.

I stand by my statement that if unless it's a superduty, the 2.5 just isn't worth it at all. when your baseline is, what, 90-100 hp, there are just too many better options out there to play with something so bland, boring, and underperforming.
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.openwheelmarketp...x.php?showtopic=8604
This would work, but it already sold. Sometimes you can find a more reasonable price one.

[This message has been edited by Lilchief (edited 01-29-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No the 2.5 isn't a high performance motor, we all know that, but it is still fun to drive in the Fiero. Everyone has a right to their opinion but there is no need for name calling when someone has a different one.
bcampbell

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can't really compare an S-10 2.5 to the Fiero 2.5. It weighs at least 500 lbs. more depending on the model and the gearing is different. My 85 2M4 will pull in 5th gear from 45 mph. with no problem.

An S10 does NOT weigh at least 500 lbs more. IIRC the LIGHTEST no-options Fiero weighs 25xx lbs. my friends S10 weighed 26xx lbs after the 3.1 swap, and I believe the 3.1 is a heavier engine. That truck is also reliable and it's the new owner's DD right now.

That truck also had 3.73 rear gears and with the 3.1 the gearing feels veery short. Like you can cruise at 60 km/h in 5th gear easily.

[This message has been edited by bcampbell (edited 01-29-2014).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-29-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will do worse just for you
the average man can not do an ecotech swap,no way,this is an impossible swap for most
based on real experience there are many , many 3800 swaps never completed
the average time for a buick 3800 into a Fiero is 1 to 2 years
telling forum members that any swap is no problem is a crime. ..
Seems only leftist bufoons can not read my post,I do not give a rats tutu about this
people who need help have no problem reading my post
my post are generally much longer than average
my computer is totally screwed up! dont care, yes I have dictionary & thesaurus
I remember the many new forum members run off by the wimp queer dick tion police because they do not spend thier life at the computer ...
how big a yellow belly stone cowardly squeek to you have to be to comment on spelling & punctuation, get real ,the forum is full of big mouth lefty wimp cowards hiding behind thier computer
In a separate issue yellow stone is just a blowhard marxist lefty ,he dislikes christians & who champions muslim terrs & hates me ,he needs a specop chin lift
Many people do not want to do a swap, they just need information or help,,help them!! not hard to do... any swap is a pain!! I did my first swap in the fifties,,An Oldmobile Rockett 88 into a 49 Ford !!! I love Fiero swaps,, but help the men who want to improve what they brung or modify the Duke HELP THEM, a simple theory
S/sgt U.S. Newton USMC (abn)

GOD, GUNS, GUTS & FIERO.S MADE AMERICA GREAT

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 01-29-2014).]

bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry but if you're willing to dedicate time/effort/money into the swap and overcome problems; yes there will be problems; then yes anyone can complete a swap. People who take 3 years to complete a swap probably allow months to go by when they don't work on the car.

Ps: I can read/understand your posts just don't but bad grammer/spelling does annoy me
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

I will do worse just for you
the average man can not do an ecotech swap,no way,this is an impossible swap for most
based on real experience there are many , many 3800 swaps never completed
the average time for a buick 3800 into a Fiero is 1 to 2 years
telling forum members that any swap is no problem is a crime. ..
Seems only leftist bufoons can not read my post,I do not give a rats tutu about this
people who need help have no problem reading my post
my post are generally much longer than average
my computer is totally screwed up! dont care, yes I have dictionary & thesaurus
I remember the many new forum members run off by the wimp queer dick tion police because they do not spend thier life at the computer ...
how big a yellow belly stone cowardly squeek to you have to be to comment on spelling & punctuation, get real ,the forum is full of big mouth lefty wimp cowards hiding behind thier computer

I take it this was a shot at me? I feel there is no reason anyone couldn't tackle an ecotec swap. the problem most people have, is they blindly buy parts and expect them to work, without planning anything out. this is the biggest issue with any swap, is that there is no plan made, people just start tearing into things.

call me a coward all you want, I don't really care. the remainder of your post just goes to show that you're no better.

In a separate issue yellow stone is just a blowhard marxist lefty ,he dislikes christians & who champions muslim terrs & hates me ,he needs a specop chin lift
Many people do not want to do a swap, they just need information or help,,help them!! not hard to do... any swap is a pain!! I did my first swap in the fifties,,An Oldmobile Rockett 88 into a 49 Ford !!! I love Fiero swaps,, but help the men who want to improve what they brung or modify the Duke HELP THEM, a simple theory
S/sgt U.S. Newton USMC (abn)

GOD, GUNS, GUTS & FIERO.S MADE AMERICA GREAT

PFF
System Bot
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So this tread definitely took a tangent there Lol...swaps suck but my thought is if it was easy or not a learning experience no one would do them I like to do them to learn about fieros and what can be done... after all the arguing I'm staying with the duke for now found some info on beefing internals and a turbo for it from "scratch"... chances are it will blow up but hell I'll learn how to manufactur a turbo out of the deal right

------------------
One mans dream another mans project

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierodreamer201386:

chances are it will blow up but hell I'll learn how to manufactur a turbo out of the deal right

As long as that's your view going into, you're good to go.
fierodreamer201386

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodreamer201386Send a Private Message to fierodreamer201386Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya build a turbo for it learn how to do that motor blows then do a swap at least it will be fun lol
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also saw multiple Ecotec swaps completed and driving around at the 30th. Just because there's no build thread on this forum doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Thelin Sells... while I don't quite agree with the 'drop-in'ness of some of his components it makes the job far easier.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-30-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres some good duke performance ,sorry my computer has issues
my sincere apoligy,, I draw pinheads like a MR2magnet,Im very old christian conservative Warrior with bad attitude

google=building a 120hp duke,,by SJ Wynman iron duke7 tripod lots of ads worth it

http://iron duke 7.tripod.com/IronDuke.htm
thie site below I can not load,I have dial up & computer has bad grammer but stillhas Fiero logo
google= iron duke performance FAQ,,my Fiero@Oceanmoon.com
bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Heres some good duke performance ,sorry my computer has issues
my sincere apoligy,, I draw pinheads like a MR2magnet,Im very old christian conservative Warrior with bad attitude

google=building a 120hp duke,,by SJ Wynman iron duke7 tripod lots of ads worth it

http://iron duke 7.tripod.com/IronDuke.htm
thie site below I can not load,I have dial up & computer has bad grammer but stillhas Fiero logo
google= iron duke performance FAQ,,my Fiero@Oceanmoon.com

I'm sorry but I don't consider 120hp 'performance'. The 90s Dukes made 110hp already. If 120hp is what you're looking for then a 99-02 2.2L OHV engine will get that and would be a really easy swap. Easier than any swap I've done that's for sure. And as I mentioned earlier the 2.2 actually has potential for more.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EDIT: It's not worth it...

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 01-30-2014).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-30-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FORGOT.. use this forum,s search feature .AT THE UPPER RIGHT
enter= PERFORMANCE DUKE ... & at the end entire thread
there will be a plethora of duke information mixed in with other stuff
there is a lot of bias against the duke, but it is a great engine
you do have to use the best connecting rods
you can buy a used chevy V8 header & build a duke header with a hacksaw
the site about 120 HP dukes will really help you,its not about the amount of power ,but information
Summit has duke rods & kansasracingproducts.com has expensive super duty duke parts
THERE ARE VERY INTERESTING POST ON THE ECOTECH,my personal favorite swap
but you need to be an electronic engineer or avionics master to install one ,way beyond
the average toaster heads ability at this time ,because of weight,MPG & power the ecotech
is a better engine for the Fiero than any other ,but prohibitive installation cost & difficulty mean we will not
see many ecotech Fiero,s,, they have been available cheap for some time now.

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 01-30-2014).]

bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FORGOT.. use this forum,s search feature .AT THE UPPER RIGHT
enter= PERFORMANCE DUKE ... & at the end entire thread
there will be a plethora of duke information mixed in with other stuff
there is a lot of bias against the duke, but it is a great engine
you do have to use the best connecting rods
you can buy a used chevy V8 header & build a duke header with a hacksaw
the site about 120 HP dukes will really help you,its not about the amount of power ,but information
Summit has duke rods & kansasracingproducts.com has expensive super duty duke parts
THERE ARE VERY INTERESTING POST ON THE ECOTECH,my personal favorite swap
but you need to be an electronic engineer or avionics master to install one ,way beyond
the average toaster heads ability at this time ,because of weight,MPG & power the ecotech
is a better engine for the Fiero than any other ,but prohibitive installation cost & difficulty mean we will not
see many ecotech Fiero,s,, they have been available cheap for some time now.

The fact remains that a duke cannot reliably sustain an increase in power. Comparing it to a super duty is pointless. The super duty may share some design characteristics with the duke but it is a completely different engine. For the cost of building a Superduty you could probably fund 2 ecotec swaps.

And I stand by my earlier statements that you do not need any special knowledge beyond BASIC wiring skills to install an ecotec. If wiring the factory PCM is scary then use a Megasquirt system. Megasquirts can be done for low cost and are one of the easiest standalones to wire in. In fact I think DIY-pnp sells an assembled megasquirt unit that plugs right into the stock Fiero ECM connectors.

Trans wise just use an F23 which fits the stock Fiero axles and is a well documented swap. The parts are all available to make it work.

It's simply not true that the swap cannot be completed by a person with average skills. There's nothing spectacular about the wiring for the ecotec swap especially if you go the Megasquirt route.

PS: How on earth do you associate politics and religion with opinions on engine swaps?? The three subjects have nothing to do with each other.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2014 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is more than u want to know ? but excellent duke information really serious modification stuff.
google = S-10 forum,2.5l myths & difference

when Im attacked I strike back,,I was a christian contract soldier for many years,& tho this is light duty stuff from people who have never been anywhere & never done anything ,I am a man who has not lived as other men & I hate the pinko hide behind the computer pinheads that attack me,these attacks come/originate from O.T. I do not think people should strike out at anyone in tech trying to help,I am a big friendly smiling loudmouth fat guy!! his royal rotuness ,,,from to many commie/muslem firefights ,my heart is no longer christian pure,,YUP Im violent with an attitude !!

there are hundreds interested in the ecotech into a Fiero,,I am very interested ,,there are attempted eco swaps on this forum
that were never finished !! this is a very difficult swap, because even the radio is rigged to the brain box,, there is a real reason there are only a few ecotech swaps ..
there is a lot of bias against modifying the duke ,puzzling to me..Engine SWAPS are portrayed by many on this forum as easy!! no engine swap is easy..

there were men in the Marines ,& men who were Marines !!

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 01-31-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

this is more than u want to know ? but excellent duke information really serious modification stuff.
google = S-10 forum,2.5l myths & difference

when Im attacked I strike back,,I was a christian contract soldier for many years,& tho this is light duty stuff from people who have never been anywhere & never done anything ,I am a man who has not lived as other men & I hate the pinko hide behind the computer pinheads that attack me,these attacks come/originate from O.T. I do not think people should strike out at anyone in tech trying to help,I am a big friendly smiling loudmouth fat guy!! his royal rotuness ,,,from to many commie/muslem firefights ,my heart is no longer christian pure,,YUP Im violent with an attitude !!

there are hundreds interested in the ecotech into a Fiero,,I am very interested ,,there are attempted eco swaps on this forum
that were never finished !! this is a very difficult swap, because even the radio is rigged to the brain box,, there is a real reason there are only a few ecotech swaps ..
there is a lot of bias against modifying the duke ,puzzling to me..Engine SWAPS are portrayed by many on this forum as easy!! no engine swap is easy..

there were men in the Marines ,& men who were Marines !!

Just for posterity...
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To the original poster: Delete the cat or replace it with a high flow unit, remove the intake baffle, bolt on an accel coil and plug wires, block off the egr, advance the timing a few degrees, do a good tuneup and avoid tall tires then enjoy the ride. You will be surprised how much fun it will be.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess this thread is trashed now.

As for why there are not many Ecotec swaps though, the reason isn't because the electronics are hard. Everyone wants to do the stock turbo 2.0 SIDI for a swap though, which is a bit harder to do because it has a lot of complex features. The older (02-09ish) Ecotec engines that aren't turbo, and aren't SIDI, are much easier to do, because the ECM is simpler and there aren't a lot of complex features you have to balance out to get right in a swap. The Ecotec from the 02+ Cavalier is probably the easiest Ecotec to swap in.

Here's wtfb's swap: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000029.html

The Ecotec, or the old Quad 4 are the best GM four cylinder swaps you can throw in a Fiero.
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, I guess this thread is trashed now.

As for why there are not many Ecotec swaps though, the reason isn't because the electronics are hard. Everyone wants to do the stock turbo 2.0 SIDI for a swap though, which is a bit harder to do because it has a lot of complex features. The older (02-09ish) Ecotec engines that aren't turbo, and aren't SIDI, are much easier to do, because the ECM is simpler and there aren't a lot of complex features you have to balance out to get right in a swap. The Ecotec from the 02+ Cavalier is probably the easiest Ecotec to swap in.

Here's wtfb's swap: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000029.html

The Ecotec, or the old Quad 4 are the best GM four cylinder swaps you can throw in a Fiero.

The complexities have been worked out of the 2.0T SIDI. Folks out there already offering standalone plug-and-play kits (harnesses w/ BCM deleted and accompanying ECM's). The problem now is the Fiero crowd is 1.) cheap and 2.)obsessed w/ old small block V8 culture. This has been discussed ad nauseam. The cost is what's prohibitive now but the price is coming down since LDK's are being put in alot of GM's new models. It will be a few years still before it's as ubiquitous as the 3800 was in it's hey-day.

Proof:

Sean,

I'm interested in a stand-alone Ecotec LNF harness/ecm and was referred to CBM Motorsports however I was unable to find it listed in online store. Is this a product you produce/service you provide?

Regards,

Kemo

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kemo,

Yes we do have a computer and harness that will work for you. It runs $2000 for the computer with a tune, harness, relay pack, and an O2 sensor. You would need to purchase a gas pedal, mass air flow sensor, and boost sensor. We can supply them all if you do not have them. Everything is in stock and ready to go!

Sean McKillop
Custom Built Motors
909.291.7550 phone Ext. 2004
909.291.7554 fax

[This message has been edited by akademikjeanius (edited 01-31-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2014 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by akademikjeanius:

I never said it wasn't possible. I said it is a contributing factor. And cost is generally an important one as well. Most people don't want to pay $10K to swap a 4 cylinder into the car they paid $600-1500 for. Being rude and making a general statement that the Fiero crowd is cheap, doesn't help. Besides, you're on this forum, and thus part of the "Fiero crowd" and thus, you must also be cheap.

Some people just like to do things themselves. Sometimes for people who don't have the resources and/or knowledge to just do everything in a weekend, that can mean a long drawn out swap that can take several years. Sometimes other things come up, and add delays. That's why my LS4 swap is taking so long (which is far from being an old small block V8). I could just go pay someone to swap in a much more powerful engine, and have it done in a week or two. But then I wouldn't have built it, and I would have to live with the little things that I would personally take great care in the details of, that would otherwise not be part of a standard bolt-in kit swap. Or I could go to any dealer in the area and drive off the lot in a brand new real sports car that makes 500+ HP, handles better than a Fiero, and has a million features the Fiero doesn't. But it wouldn't be a Fiero, and there are certain things about the way the Fiero feels when I drive it, that those new cars don't have; regardless of what engine is in the Fiero.

I have no doubt I could successfully swap any Ecotec into a Fiero. It's just a matter of how long it would take. But I don't want an Ecotec. I eventually decided on the LS4, and that's what I am working on. It's going to take a while to get done, but it will eventually get done.
bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love building my cars myself but I also hate long drawn out swaps. If you're taking your time and not stressing and you don't mind a long term project, sure, 3 years can go by. But saying you need to be an engineer or electronics master to get it done faster is simply not true. I've never had any formal training with cars or electronics but I've never spent more than 7 months on a project... And 2 of those months were spent painting (my first swap). Realistically the majority of that time was saving money to buy all the parts I needed, and 2 weeks of actual work, not counting the painting.
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I never said it wasn't possible. I said it is a contributing factor. And cost is generally an important one as well. Most people don't want to pay $10K to swap a 4 cylinder into the car they paid $600-1500 for. Being rude and making a general statement that the Fiero crowd is cheap, doesn't help. Besides, you're on this forum, and thus part of the "Fiero crowd" and thus, you must also be cheap.

Some people just like to do things themselves. Sometimes for people who don't have the resources and/or knowledge to just do everything in a weekend, that can mean a long drawn out swap that can take several years. Sometimes other things come up, and add delays. That's why my LS4 swap is taking so long (which is far from being an old small block V8). I could just go pay someone to swap in a much more powerful engine, and have it done in a week or two. But then I wouldn't have built it, and I would have to live with the little things that I would personally take great care in the details of, that would otherwise not be part of a standard bolt-in kit swap. Or I could go to any dealer in the area and drive off the lot in a brand new real sports car that makes 500+ HP, handles better than a Fiero, and has a million features the Fiero doesn't. But it wouldn't be a Fiero, and there are certain things about the way the Fiero feels when I drive it, that those new cars don't have; regardless of what engine is in the Fiero.

I have no doubt I could successfully swap any Ecotec into a Fiero. It's just a matter of how long it would take. But I don't want an Ecotec. I eventually decided on the LS4, and that's what I am working on. It's going to take a while to get done, but it will eventually get done.

And I never said you said it was impossible. Exaggerations aside, the cost is the cost until enough do it and bring the cost down. Even if you buy everything ready-made, you're looking at less than $6k. ($2k for harness and edited ECM, $2.5k-$3k for engine/trans, $1k for mounts/shift cables). How much did the first 3800 swap cost? Hell, how much are people still paying folks like bmwguru for turn-key jobs?!? Rude is saying something is wrong w/ being cheap. I made an observation that is based on fact when one compares the Fiero crowd to, say, the 3/S crowd or 4x4 crowd. I'm not the first to say it and I won't be the last. If you took offense to that, grow a pair. I never said I wasn't cheap so your point is moot in that regard but will I pay $5k-$6k for a finished LNF/LDK swap in a $1k car? Abso-f*****-lutely! A few mods and I'd be crapping on cars 2-3 times the price.

Some want to do it all themselves and the vast majority are those who end up selling partially done swaps at a major loss. Some actually follow through and complete them over several years. I won't take 4 years to complete any swap. I believe in efficiency, cost/time/otherwise. It's some swap-in kits that make the jobs look very "factory-ish". Not going to get into a long drawn out debate about that here.

If you want to shoehorn in an engine that will get worst mileage, perform worse handling-wise from extra weight, and still, in it's factory state, equal almost what the LNF/LDK do in power output, by all means. All to say you have a V8 rumble and "cool factor". Not worth it to me and anti-Fiero, IMHO.
bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want a V8 in a small, light well handling car, the 240sx is the way to go IMHO. I've driven my friends 2400 lb 5.3L-swapped Silvia and its an absolute blast.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2014 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by akademikjeanius:
If you want to shoehorn in an engine that will get worst mileage, perform worse handling-wise from extra weight, and still, in it's factory state, equal almost what the LNF/LDK do in power output, by all means. All to say you have a V8 rumble and "cool factor". Not worth it to me and anti-Fiero, IMHO.

LNF/LDK is 400 HP? I don't think so. And as for MPG, my LS4 will do plenty fine in that regard (for one, it's not a stock LS4). A 4.8 with increased compression ratio, custom tune, relatively flat torque curve, and a 6 speed transmission combined with the low CD of the fastback, should easily put me over 30 MPG highway. It's not the 50+ I'd probably get with a stock 1.4L SIDI turbo Ecotec in a Fiero, but with some other things I want to try on my car, I could probably push it up into the high 30s. I'm not doing it for any V8 "rumble" either. When it's done, my car won't have that "rumble" at all really. And extra weight? I'm going from an all iron V6 to an all aluminum V8. The weight difference will be minimal, and have absolutely no affect on the handling of my car. For a high revving 4 cylinder car, I have my Honda.

There is nothing about any engine swap of any kind, that is "anti-Fiero."
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierodreamer201386:

So this tread definitely took a tangent there Lol...swaps suck but my thought is if it was easy or not a learning experience no one would do them I like to do them to learn about fieros and what can be done... after all the arguing I'm staying with the duke for now found some info on beefing internals and a turbo for it from "scratch"... chances are it will blow up but hell I'll learn how to manufactur a turbo out of the deal right

If you're going to attempt this, then I would make an ECM swap and re-tune part of the project. The factory ECM programming isn't going to fuel it properly and that will likely ensure it's demise.
Any swap you do in the future would also need ECM tuning, so might as well include it in the learning experience.
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well this thread went to S***,
here is the bottom line on *any* swap.

you need to have a brain, you need to understand wiring and how sensors work. you most likely will need to tune the ECU to make it work, OR go with a standalone ECU that you will need to have fully tuned on a dyno (i.e. megasquirt or similar, id not try to 'bench tune' from scratch), you need to have a basic understanding of how to weld, run fuel lines, coolant lines, and make/modify motor mounts. and if you do a swap that doesn't use a stock trans, you will also need to have custom axles, and make shift linkage...

if you are "questionable" on any of those topics, your swap will take longer as you will be doing research or running into issues as you build it.

the 3800 swap is a very easy swap (IMO) well documented, can be done in a weekend if you source all the parts before hand, and have done your reading. same with the 3100/3400/3500 and even 4.6 or .4.9 V8. also depends how much time you want to spend `prepping` and cleaning up the engine bay... if I were to do a 3x00 swap, im confident I could have it 90 % done in 2 weekends, and would only need to send it out for exhaust work. (I have a DHP programmer)

as for the ecotec swap, ive read up on it, you can buy standalone ECUs already programed for them. just readup on the pin-outs to connect to the fiero for tach, and gauges and supplying power, etc, figure out mounts, and do your exhaust and your good...
so... start reading....

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I can recommend is study every option you are considering with as much enthusiasm as possible.

Some paths like the 3800 are very heavily fleshed out now and every detail is covered. Others like the Ecotec are a little less detailed but there is information around. There's always the Quad 4 too.

Even beefing the Duke has been covered around the place - the idea of going with the Mercruiser crank, beefier rods and pistons then building a homebrew turbo and multipoint injection setup has appealed to me on more than a few occasions.

As for the Honda route, if I'm not mistaken the B/D/H engines are reverse rotation - you'd have to take the Honda trans too. I have heard of a guy doing an H22A swap, but last I heard it wasn't complete and he was many dollars down the hole on it.
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondrring if anybody has just taken the drivetrain, ecm and guage pod from the doner and transplanted it as I system into the Fiero? Would that avoid all the wiring headaches. Then all you need is to make sure fuel pressure matches (high flow pump with regulator), and the connections mechanical and fuild related. Only need to reprogram ecm for abs delete and bcm delete, i'm guessing.
Please understand I don't know what each ecm controls or needs from body sensors. So be kind.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2014 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Knight:

Just wondrring if anybody has just taken the drivetrain, ecm and guage pod from the doner and transplanted it as I system into the Fiero? Would that avoid all the wiring headaches. Then all you need is to make sure fuel pressure matches (high flow pump with regulator), and the connections mechanical and fuild related. Only need to reprogram ecm for abs delete and bcm delete, i'm guessing.
Please understand I don't know what each ecm controls or needs from body sensors. So be kind.

Even if you did do that, it would still be a wiring nightmare. The Fiero has everything in a completely different place from where the donor car had it.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Carcenomy:
As for the Honda route, if I'm not mistaken the B/D/H engines are reverse rotation - you'd have to take the Honda trans too. I have heard of a guy doing an H22A swap, but last I heard it wasn't complete and he was many dollars down the hole on it.

And some of those transmissions have solid shift linkages, not cables for shift/select. Plus the K swap can probably be done for less money in a Fiero, and you'll get more power and reliability out of it, and you can get a 6 speed that is much better matched to the engine than what the GM transmissions have for gearing.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And some of those transmissions have solid shift linkages, not cables for shift/select. Plus the K swap can probably be done for less money in a Fiero, and you'll get more power and reliability out of it, and you can get a 6 speed that is much better matched to the engine than what the GM transmissions have for gearing.

It's hard not to have better gearing than any manual GM FWD offering.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:
It's hard not to have better gearing than any manual GM FWD offering.

Well, the typical complaints about the GM gearing don't really apply when comparing to the Honda gearing. If you think 1st gear on the F40 is short, it's nothing compared to the Honda K trans.The new Civic Type R trans has 5.062 FD and 3.266 first, for example. But things are different when you don't have much torque in the low end, and are revving out to 9000+ RPM before shifting.

Throwing an engine that makes 500+ lb-ft of torque and only revs to 6000 RPM in front of a trans designed for something that made ~150 lb-ft and revs to 7500+ is probably not going to be the best thing in the world, indeed. Of course, you could always pay $25K+ and get a fully custom set of gears cut to fit in the F40 housing.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Custom gears for an F40 could probably be done in the $10k range. If you're paying $25k for a transmission, you should be getting a name like Weissman, Hewland, X-trac, Quaife, etc.
http://www.maktrak.com/products.htm for example

Even among dedicated racing transmissions, $25K can get you a top shelf model with all the bells and whistles.
However, even racing transverse gearboxes are seldom rated above 500 ftlbs.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Even if you did do that, it would still be a wiring nightmare. The Fiero has everything in a completely different place from where the donor car had it.

One wire at a time, just like everything else.
It's only a nightmare if you get it all together and it doesn't work.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock