3800 Swap 308 GT KIT by Merlinhaggard
Started on: 10-26-2013 04:30 PM
Replies: 101 (2683 views)
Last post by: Merlinhaggard on 01-17-2014 10:09 AM
Merlinhaggard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple of bars of soap later..

IP: Logged
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Purdy.

Have more pics of the car?
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its currently lodged deep in my garage but will get some posted asap.
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im planning on buying a harness from Fiero Flyer. Should I hold off on putting the motor back in, or does it make a difference? In other words, would it be easier to install the harness while the motor is out?
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Merlinhaggard:

Im planning on buying a harness from Fiero Flyer. Should I hold off on putting the motor back in, or does it make a difference? In other words, would it be easier to install the harness while the motor is out?

Wait to put it in. It xan be put in with motor in car but it can be a bitzh and not go in as clean as if u intsall out of car.
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks bro!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3800 SC engines will; clean up nicely and you can get quite a nice installation with a bit of work. Here are a couple of installed photos (poor quality but HD photos are available via e-mail) on two different Meras (similar to your F308 kit).

Nelson
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hnthomps:

The 3800 SC engines will; clean up nicely and you can get quite a nice installation with a bit of work. Here are a couple of installed photos (poor quality but HD photos are available via e-mail) on two different Meras (similar to your F308 kit).
Wow!, that is nice!!!! Where could I get the fuel rails?

[This message has been edited by Merlinhaggard (edited 11-06-2013).]

Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Merlinhaggard

143 posts
Member since Aug 2013
So, Im going with the PCM upgrade, 3.5" pulley. I would like to move the alt. Please help with some links for purchase. I also would like a fuel rail and some headders that wont kill me $ wise. MstangsBware has been helping alot, (MUCH THANKS). He hooked me up with a nice flywheel and clutch at a good price. So any other mod ideas would be appreciated.

Headders
Injectors
Exhaust
Temp sensor
Thermostat
Anything else you guys can think of.

You have all been a really great help. Without you, theres no chance I could do this!!!
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, Im going with the PCM upgrade, 3.5" pulley. I would like to move the alt. Please help with some links for purchase. I also would like a fuel rail and some headders that wont kill me $ wise. MstangsBware has been helping alot, (MUCH THANKS). He hooked me up with a nice flywheel and clutch at a good price. So any other mod ideas would be appreciated.

Headders
Injectors
Exhaust
Temp sensor
Thermostat
Anything else you guys can think of.

You have all been a really great help. Without you, theres no chance I could do this!!!

Fuel Rails-FieroFreak on here makes the best rails and best price
Headers-SpeedDaddy headers of ebay..cross over mod may be needed
MPS 3.4 pulley setup
Stock injectors work for ur MOD level
Use stock 3800 temp sensor
Have Nosrac on here cut u a PCM
3 inch mandrel bends for exhaust with ur choice of muffler

Thats a little info to helpu along. What year Alt do u have to determine how to build a low mount.

Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Year model 2000. Regal..
PFF
System Bot
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased a set of the headers off 86 Toy for the 3800. They are exceptional and he is quick on delivery. The dump is over on the stock Fiero side as wll so you don't need to worry about the trunk mods that come with some 3800 swaps.

He was also looking at equal length headers when I was talking to him but I went with the others as I wasn't worried about that so much.

I would give him a call or pm to see what he can do for you.

Nice build btw. I am almost finished my 308 replica rebuild as well.

Keep up the good work and keep posting update pics.

Don

Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any thoughts about this? Would it work??

Those look like NA rails so no and also need to run a returnless fuel line setup even if u get the SC version of those rails. I actually have a set of the returnless SC rails I believe and can build u a plug/play refurnless system.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hnthomps:

Wow!, that is nice!!!! Where could I get the fuel rails?

I believe that I used ZZP fuel rails for these conversions but would have to check some old records to be certain. Records were checked and these fuel logs were definitely bought from ZZP. These were an older version billet fuel rails purchased from ZZP a number of years ago. The current version is:

http://shop.zzperformance.c...illet-Fuel-Logs.aspx

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 11-09-2013).]

Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the motor and tranny mated. The tranny mounts are good but Im having touble figuring out the front mount. O know how its supposed to go but thetre arent and mounting holes in the engin to accept the mount???
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have the motor and tranny mated. The tranny mounts are good but Im having touble figuring out the front mount. O know how its supposed to go but thetre arent and mounting holes in the engin to accept the mount???

While the motor and trans is mated together turn the motor over by the crank bolt to make sure it moves freely. Just a precation to make sure flywheel/clutch clearence is not an issue. Did not do this one time and paid later by having to remove swap to find wrong PP.

Post pic of front mount or email me pictures as will see what u got..
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured it out. Its "obviously the oil filter adapter. Does anyone have a lead on an adapter? I see them on West coast fieros but theyre 100$
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I figured it out. Its "obviously the oil filter adapter. Does anyone have a lead on an adapter? I see them on West coast fieros but theyre 100$

I might have one but will have to check....If not I will fins u one alot less then what WCF wants.
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, Ill move forward and install it whewn I get one.
PFF
System Bot
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Merlinhaggard

143 posts
Member since Aug 2013
FYI, Im not playing. You guys have inspired me. Im super excited about this mod..
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Merlinhaggard

143 posts
Member since Aug 2013

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Those look like NA rails so no and also need to run a returnless fuel line setup even if u get the SC version of those rails. I actually have a set of the returnless SC rails I believe and can build u a plug/play refurnless system.

What dont you have? You have been very helpful. I got the flywheel and clutch installed, Obviously. Thanks a lot!!!
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Build enough cars and do enough swaps and you would be surprised how many spare parts you start collecting. Dan
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

Build enough cars and do enough swaps and you would be surprised how many spare parts you start collecting. Dan

What this guy said...I have collected way to many parts...
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive been searching for info on my exhaust crossover. Is it possible to get it on now that I have the engine and tranny together? Can I even use it with the 4 speed? Looks like some other guys have moved the shift linkage around to allow for it??
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The exhaust can be modified bu cutting and welding it together so it goes lower to clear the shifter assembly but this gets the heat very close to the tranny. For 4 speed manual swaps I prefer to go with a Mustang manifold and get rid of the upper cross over all together or have even modified the stock manifolds to get rid of the upper crossover but this requires more welding work as the one manifold is cast. Dan
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

The exhaust can be modified bu cutting and welding it together so it goes lower to clear the shifter assembly but this gets the heat very close to the tranny. For 4 speed manual swaps I prefer to go with a Mustang manifold and get rid of the upper cross over all together or have even modified the stock manifolds to get rid of the upper crossover but this requires more welding work as the one manifold is cast. Dan

So I can get a set of mustang manifolds? Do they need to be modified? Do I get 1985 mdel v6 manifolds? Thanks again for the help..
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2013 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like I can get 2 drivers side manifolds from a camaro, lose the crossover and keep my A/C.. Any thoughts?
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will this work??
PFF
System Bot
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im about to tackle the alt drop and getting the belts set up. Any advise? I saw a thread about reversing the pull of he tensioner, Im slightly confused. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If going low mount I would go with the GP/regal style oil filter adapter if you can not find one I always have a few in my tool box for changing over non W body engines I am using for swaps. Dan
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
while back you asked about differences between a 4 sp and a 5 sp. One thing that wasn't mentioned so far is that you would need to change the shifter. The 4 won't work with the 5.
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by n7vrz:

while back you asked about differences between a 4 sp and a 5 sp. One thing that wasn't mentioned so far is that you would need to change the shifter. The 4 won't work with the 5.

I decided to stick with the 4 speed. Thanks though and please keep the thoughts coming.
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any other thoughts of what I need to be thinking about? Im working on lowering the ALT and getting the belts set up. Im also working on the remote oil adapter. I need to figure out A/C lines to the 3800. I have the motor mounted tothe 4 speed with the correct flyweel and clutch. I am using the stock exhaust with the crossover. Im planning on putting together the shift cable bracket like in this thread.

I need help on fuel lines etc. Im getting a harness from fiero flyer as well as some other parts. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Happy TG everyone!!!
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some new pics. I should have my harness, alt drop bracket and other parts really soon. Should be dropping it back in the car in the next week or so..

I went to the local flea market this weekend and a guy had a whole setup of exhaust. Ive been browsing ebay for bends etc. I asked him how much and he said $20. ??? Bought it. Has rice burner resonators on it but some nice tips and a lot of bends and pipe. I ordered a cat converter Friday, now all I need is a muffler. Gonna look at the spinteck.
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Merlinhaggard

143 posts
Member since Aug 2013
I also bought a shift bracket, gonna cut it up and manufacture a piece to sit beside the other bracket to clear the crossover exhaust.
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that's an awesome car, swap, and thread. Keep the pics coming. Btw, if you're looking to sell some of the stock 2.8 parts, let me know. I'm in need!
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I promised the motor to another forum member. I have struts. Might have some little stuff here and there. Let me know what you need and if I have it, its yours.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock