Dead 88 2m4 not getting fuel by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 09-23-2013 02:21 PM
Replies: 12 (175 views)
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 09-25-2013 11:01 AM
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe its referred to as a 2m4, (88 4cyl auto) not sure never had one before (4cyl). BUT I just got it this weekend and it's dead, not getting fuel. Apparently that has been the issue for most of this cars life. The story is it belonged to some little old lady (car has 21500 on it) who had it, only drove to church...you know the story...and then one day the fuel pump died so it was replaced, then some time after that it died again so it sat forever until she sold it to this kids friend. He replaced the injector and sensor on the TB, the plugs, filter but never got it to run. So he sold it to his buddy, the kid I got it from who replaced the cat??? but again, never got it running. Now its mine but I need some help so I can get it to run.
I got it home, put a battery in it, checked the F-Pump fuse, it's good, turn the key and I can't hear the pump come on and no click from the engine bay either. I checked the 2 relays in the back and well...they were upside down and full of water! I replaced them, made sure the pump was plugged in on the firewall, even put a couple gallons of gas in it and still nothing. I tried to jump the pump at the ALDL, nothing. I can hear a faint click now but no pump noise. What has me baffled is when I crank the engine the gauges go nuts; the fuel gauge is pegged past full and doesn't move, the oil gauge is pegged past full but moves a tiny bit when I turn the key, the temp goes wild and pegs and the tach goes nuts and I swear it went all the way around.
With all the parts thrown at it I'd hate to drop the tank and it not be the issue so am I missing anything?? Ideas???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some pumps are quiet... did you check flow/pressure?

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Some pumps are quiet... did you check flow/pressure?

Duuuhhhh, didn't think to do that! I don't smell any gas in the TB but how do I check the pressure on this one...I know the V-6 has a valve right on the rail but I'm new to the 4cyl
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unscrew the metal line going to the TBI and try running the fuel pump to check for fuel. Check the wires on the firewall, the ones that run to the fuel pump.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pump is dea from sitting....Drop tank and replace along with the rubber hose that runs to the tank. Then u can start trou me shooting from there if the no start issue is still happening. When the FP was replaced the first time they may not have replaces the rubber line between pump and metal line which could have blown out the short time later. Its gonna need the tank drained and a new pump regardless.

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed, going to drop the tank this weekend, replace the pump, calibrate the sending unit and flush the tank. Where can i get the double hose that goes from the tank to the fill tube?? I got one for my Formula when i dropped that tank but don't remember where I got it...just that it was hard to find.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

Agreed, going to drop the tank this weekend, replace the pump, calibrate the sending unit and flush the tank. Where can i get the double hose that goes from the tank to the fill tube?? I got one for my Formula when i dropped that tank but don't remember where I got it...just that it was hard to find.

I thought the Fiero Store sold those. You should be able to reuse your existing one (if you can get it off).
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
I thought the Fiero Store sold those. You should be able to reuse your existing one (if you can get it off).

Anybody else sell them? I'd just assume replace it while i'm there. 1 less thing to worry about and if i pull the tank and it's no good then i have to wait for it to show up in the mail...rather have it ready to go.

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't run across a bad one yet, but I understand wanting to have a replacement part on hand.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Connect 12v to ALDL G connector for a few seconds, and then remove the injector from the throttle body. If you get squirted with gas as it pops out, you have fuel pressure.
Or, try to start the car with a wadded up paper towel in the throttle body throat below the injector. If it gets wet with gas, you have fuel delivery.
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spray some starting fluid into the throttle body, if it starts and runs for just a second or 2 then it is, clogged injectors, bad injectors, fuel pump or something else in the fuel system, or it could be just old gas if it has been sitting to long, think years.

if that works and you are getting gas, rag under the injector, bad gas or water in the gas. if you have a timing light hook it up you will see the injector spraying when the light flashes as well as with the rag method. or just disconnect the fuel line running to the injector and put it into a can or jar and turn it over, if you get gas in the container then you have a bad injector or something in the electrical system.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 09-24-2013).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, the fuel pump from sitting (seized pump).

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 09-25-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock