Started on: 09-23-2013 02:04 PM
Replies: 10 (441 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 09-25-2013 01:56 PM
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found 2 3800s/c engines
in j/y they want 150.00 for them(each) and then nickel and dime you for the alt/ps pump/starter/ac compressor/etc harness is included with engine,ecu extra 35.00 so it be like 300-350 ish not knowing if it runs, guessing because the body's in good shape that it had issues.. and would be a rebuild,
trans is 150.oo
is this a fair cost price for a engine that is basicly a rebuildable core...?
should I get the half shafts(axles) also..?
There seems to be tons of threads on this swap. is there one that goes real in depth?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id wait until you can find one from a wrecked car.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed if I don't see damage from an accident I don't buy the engine or tranny from the car. Dan
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

I found 2 3800s/c engines
in j/y they want 150.00 for them(each) and then nickel and dime you for the alt/ps pump/starter/ac compressor/etc harness is included with engine,ecu extra 35.00 so it be like 300-350 ish not knowing if it runs, guessing because the body's in good shape that it had issues.. and would be a rebuild,
trans is 150.oo
is this a fair cost price for a engine that is basicly a rebuildable core...?
should I get the half shafts(axles) also..?
There seems to be tons of threads on this swap. is there one that goes real in depth?

Must b nice to get em that cheap, they want $15-2000 around here.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

Agreed if I don't see damage from an accident I don't buy the engine or tranny from the car. Dan

Yup. If it got in an accident, you know it was being driven, otherwise they may have scrapped it because of mechanical problems.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a "Running/Driving "car and ended up "rebuilding" it anyway. (Cracked Crank at the balancer keyway !) It's All a crapshoot. People junk cars because of "strange reasons", fuel pump, sensors, Trans, a mouse ate the wires..... hard to tell
bilidol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bilidolSend a Private Message to bilidolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
getting a wrecked car is your best bet. I got a 96 Riviera with a 3800 sc for 250 bucks. it was crashed and it just messed up the ac condenser. I probably could have fixed it if it didn't set off the air bags but it still would run and drive just fine. if you get it wrecked you get motor, trans, wiring, computer. then when you get what you need you can still make some money back by scraping the car.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When Im looking for a used engine, I shop for a whole running car. Even if you cant drive it, you know what kind of shape the motor is in AND you know you have all the parts you need. The guy next door paid $2500 for a used engine with installation in his Explorer. Its in worse condition than the one that was in it. Anti freeze leaks on the engine (not hoses), oil leaks, and rod knock. They told him they dont guarantee used engines except to run. There are so many 3800's in cars and vans, you should be able to find even a driveable one for $500. I tried to sell him a driveable Explorer that was totally rusted out for $400 that ran perfect.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been kind of wondering what a fair price for a 3800SC engine trans and harness would be as well. I have been searching craigslist in my area and found a couple ads and considered calling about but I have no idea what a fair market price would be? I know mileage would come into play as well, so what are you guys paying for your engines?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think it would depend on the MILES on it. A "LOW" Mile Engine(30-50K) I would think $800 is a "Fair" price,* *As long as you can Verify Miles AND "HEAR It RUN." ** If You Can't hear it Run... $150 . a low mile wreck is best.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
go to autoparts.com, fill out what you want, and you will find out the "going prices"
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock