Another 3800sc swap.... by sco77
Started on: 09-03-2012 08:53 PM
Replies: 72 (3990 views)
Last post by: Lou and Blue on 05-31-2015 09:21 PM
1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunatly the Fiero market is weak, and those of us that want a fiero already have one, or two. That said I've had people at the track offer me $3500 for my L67 '86 SE and mine is a pure beater compared to yours.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

IP: Logged
86GTFastback

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 86GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

Anyone have any idea on a bar park amount the car will be worth when done? I don't mean book value, but price that these normally sell for in this condition.

I usually think, driving fastback about $1500, a driving decent 3800 swap about $4000. That's a nice looking swap, so id think 6-7k
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well despite it being humid as **** outside... I made a little more progress this afternoon and night..

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - (pending L67 swap: VS cam, GenV) Build Progress eta: 8/13
98 GTP - Some mods

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also put it in....My dogbone is off by about 3/4 or 1" , but the engine looks straight in the bay so I think the entire thing needs to move to the left... but one of the tranny slots has no more adjustment, and I would have to elongate it, as well as the engine mount holes.. Is this common?

Other then that everything looks great, have to fab up something for the shifter bracket to work with headers and maybe do a battery relocation or use a smaller battery, but I don't see any other interferences or problems thus far.

------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sco77

711 posts
Member since Nov 2011
I am definitely off on alignment based on others pictures...my accessory belts line up with the hinge bracket and supercharger extends further, in others pictures t looks like the supercharger belt is perfectly lined up with the hinge and accessory slightly more in. I have no idea how to fix this without doing some serious cradle modifications, wtf why is mine so off???

If the axles work fine then I will leave it and just relocate battery and make up a different dog bone mount (I don't really like using aluminum there anyway).

------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

[This message has been edited by sco77 (edited 07-15-2013).]

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am definitely off on alignment based on others pictures...my accessory belts line up with the hinge bracket and supercharger extends further, in others pictures t looks like the supercharger belt is perfectly lined up with the hinge and accessory slightly more in. I have no idea how to fix this without doing some serious cradle modifications, wtf why is mine so off???

If the axles work fine then I will leave it and just relocate battery and make up a different dog bone mount (I don't really like using aluminum there anyway).

loosen all the cradle bolts and see if u can move it some... my 3500 swap didn't seem right when I re-installed it, loosened the bolts and gave the cradle a hard tug in the back to the side, and it moved almost an inch, the rear bolts are 'floating' bolts and allow for alittle movement, if the cage they sit in had broke free, allows for a lot more then you would think possible.
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not moving all all at cradle, besides if the rear moved then it would be crooked because the front would have to move too, and the rear trans mount is slide as far as it will go left, I dont want to try to force the front one to go right because that would also make it crooked, and also because it's already sitting very neutrally in the mounts now.

------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Lookin'" Real Good !
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sat supercharger on to get some other measurements... and for demonstration..

Still steamed up/wet from coming out from AC into humidity .. I gotta make some tweaks to shifter bracket to get it a little further away from crossover pipe, any ideas?

------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sco77

711 posts
Member since Nov 2011
I'm done trying to move it over, it would require a different engine mount/bracket... Since I didn't assemble the suspension yet I am hoping the axles will work out OK, then I will just fab up something different for dogbone.

edit: spent a couple hours fooling with mounts and got it very close, it looks like it might work.
------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still cant get it, I am only about 1/4 or less off now, my dog bone bracket is shaved down as far as it can go... My engine mount looks very tweaked from pressure pulling towards the driver side.. I slotted the junky WCF bracket and that didn't really help.

I think my issue may be the WCF trash bracket, are these usually an issue?

------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think my issue may be the WCF trash bracket, are these usually an issue?

I think that's why purplereign and other brackets became so popular so quickly... send a msg to some of the 3800 guru's, might be worth it to you to get a diff set of brackets and sell those to someone who isn't making such a Purdy engine
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got to get tstat housing mounted, hoses, belts, finish wiring, make some caps for top of SC and vacuum hose for PCV, get linkages set properly, dog bone mount, get suspension together and then maybe I will be ready for first start, probably a couple weeks or more out because I've lost motivation here.

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

I think that's why purplereign and other brackets became so popular so quickly... send a msg to some of the 3800 guru's, might be worth it to you to get a diff set of brackets and sell those to someone who isn't making such a Purdy engine

I can live with an offset dogbone, I'm not really going for a show car or anything, even though it might look that way.
------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

[This message has been edited by sco77 (edited 07-17-2013).]

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got wiring all done, scanned OBD2 as well as did full out test of sensors and resistance check on every wire, everything checked out good, now It's just a matter of tidying up wires.. I also got every hose done except Tstat... Rolling forward.

Tonight I cut this out of some aluminum , I also made a PCV one:

------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the best option for my crossover pipe and shifter cables, is there some insulation I can use that doesn't conduct heat? Or a very easy mod to move this bracket?

------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got her running, just need to get an exhaust built when I get some money and she will be just about complete..

open headers and phone records sound terribly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FumdFQyL4No&hd=1

------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!!

Put this before [YOUTUBE] and this [/YOUTUBE] after your youtube hyperlink and it will appear as a video here.

------------------

Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

Nice!!

Put this before [YOUTUBE] and this [/YOUTUBE] after your youtube hyperlink and it will appear as a video here.

In that case..

Idling with no exhaust, will have exhaust made up within a few weeks, then it will be road worthy:

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To address the shift cable issues I used a new eyelet bracket from RD, cut the old off and shifted it over. It clears just fine on my swap and I can access all gears with the engine off (having clutch issues). I also used a heAt shield wrap from DEI to protect the cables. I believe they withstand 1,800* F direct contact.

See my build thread for more info.

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I will do that, I did already use the DEI wrap, that stuff works great!

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking at all your Pix. Where are The COILS and plug wires ?
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I've been looking at all your Pix. Where are The COILS and plug wires ?

I low mounted it down low on the firewall, plug wires I had custom 10.4MM wires made up to my measurements and routed the long way around the engine bay.

------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know if I would say that, I've seen some very perfect looking polish jobs on GP forums, mines got quite a bit of pitting seen in the sun and some of the tight corners not great.. But I don't want it too perfect because it's going to be hard to maintain, even for a non daily driver.

Still pretty sweeeet
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NetCam

1490 posts
Member since Mar 2012

I don't know if I would say that, I've seen some very perfect looking polish jobs on GP forums, mines got quite a bit of pitting seen in the sun and some of the tight corners not great.. But I don't want it too perfect because it's going to be hard to maintain, even for a non daily driver.

Still pretty sweeeet
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whenwhen do I get to go for a ride?
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am at work and can not see a lot of the pictures. With my car, sbc / 4T60( -E) and the sons car, 3800SC 1 / 2 auto we have had to do up graded trans / engine mounts. Hope you have done some thing better than the stockers.
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got exhaust done today, now only things stopping me from driving it any further is alignment and a small fuel pressure leak at the fuel filter...

------------------
98 GTP - Some mods

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
was this ever finished?
CoFieroGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoFieroGtSend a Private Message to CoFieroGtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am curious also awesome build!
walterbkeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for walterbkeenSend a Private Message to walterbkeenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curious if this has progressed?
PFF
System Bot
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2015 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been for sale on Ebay for about a month now.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2015 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't find it, what's it going for? Maybe it sold.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"My mind spins like helicopter blades." -G. Rossdale
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine