3800sc build list question! by zittele
Started on: 09-18-2013 03:13 PM
Replies: 10 (344 views)
Last post by: zittele on 09-19-2013 11:10 AM
zittele

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zitteleClick Here to visit zittele's HomePageSend a Private Message to zitteleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello friends, first post and just trying to get help with my build list. I have been wanting to do a fiero swap for years and I will finally have the time and money to do it in the near future.

Here is my current list.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjvVd4OwDAFudEdwRVNiSjg5dkVEV0YxNFNaa1M3RWc&usp=docslist_api

I plan on getting a 1988 gt 5 speed and using that transmission and put a l67 in. Here are some of my questions.

Will that transmission hold up to the power?
What are some exhaust setups I can buy?
Do I need any more items to complete this install?
Any suggestions on parts for the motor?

Any help is appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
deleted.

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 09-18-2013).]

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Click Here to Email sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Problems I see with your list....

-Ported heads are a waste if you are only going to be doing the VS cam.
-I wouldn't even let ZZP tune my lawn mower, go with something from sinister performance or Overkill motorsports.
-You're probably better off with stock GM head gaskets if you are opting to remove heads, unless you planning some insanely high boost, even then the stock gaskets are really good.
-Voltage booster is unnecessary and can be bad for battery with a properly working alternator.
-Go with another vendor for the mounts or make your own
-Don't waste $100 on the oil filter adapter, one from a grand prix works just fine.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

[This message has been edited by sco77 (edited 09-18-2013).]

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

-I wouldn't even let ZZP tune my lawn mower, go with something from sinister performance of Overkill motorsports.
-You're probably better off with stock GM head gaskets if you are opting to remove heads, unless you planning some insanely high boost, even then the stock gaskets are really good.
-Voltage booster is unnecessary and can be bad for battery with a properly working alternator.
-Don't waste $100 on the oil filter adapter, one from a grand prix works just fine.

Curious about the statement that ported heads are a waste. I have a VS cam and am trying to figure out my next mods over the winter to drop down my ET from 11.90. I am considering turbo, but I am also considering ported heads and headers with my SC VS cam setup. Porting and headers work well on LS1 engines, why is it a waste on L67's. I am not suggesting you are wrong, I am just trying to understand why you think that. Please provide more details.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.906 at 111.93mph

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 09-18-2013).]

EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesClick Here to Email EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe he's trying to say that with the can you have, it wouldn't be all that beneficial. Maybe porting with a different can would open everything more.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Click Here to Email mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nevermind won't work.

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 09-18-2013).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareClick Here to Email MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

Curious about the statement that ported heads are a waste. I have a VS cam and am trying to figure out my next mods over the winter to drop down my ET from 11.90. I am considering turbo, but I am also considering ported heads and headers with my SC VS cam setup. Porting and headers work well on LS1 engines, why is it a waste on L67's. I am not suggesting you are wrong, I am just trying to understand why you think that. Please provide more details.

Heads to me just arent worth the money for the gain u get. For half the cost of heads u could buy a nitrious kit and achieve ur goal an thrm some for half the cost. But to me turbo is the way to go and in the works for me after I finish the refresh on my DD SC swap..

zittele

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zitteleClick Here to visit zittele's HomePageSend a Private Message to zitteleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

-I wouldn't even let ZZP tune my lawn mower, go with something from sinister performance or Overkill motorsports.

Thanks for the info, that's why I came here asking. I updated the list and dropped a lot of the items that you said aren't needed.

Where are some other vendors for the mounts?

And still these questions:
What are some exhaust setups I can buy?
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And still these questions:
What are some exhaust setups I can buy? [/QUOTE]

Headers wont do much under 300 hp. Most people build their own exhaust - plenty of photos on pennocks.
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesClick Here to Email EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Westcoastfiero cans supply you with mounts and headers/exhaust. Plan to pay a good penny and wait though.

I asked the same question about the durability of the 5 SPD getrag behind the l67 previously. My findings were that, although it would work. Durability seems to be in the lackluster side of the spectrum. Best bet is f23 (5 spd) f40 (6 spd) or use the 4t65e-HD (automatic) that can be found bolted to that motor.

[This message has been edited by EvilSqueezles (edited 09-19-2013).]

zittele

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zitteleClick Here to visit zittele's HomePageSend a Private Message to zitteleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EvilSqueezles:

Westcoastfiero cans supply you with mounts and headers/exhaust. Plan to pay a good penny and wait though.

I asked the same question about the durability of the 5 SPD getrag behind the l67 previously. My findings were that, although it would work. Durability seems to be in the lackluster side of the spectrum. Best bet is f23 (5 spd) f40 (6 spd) or use the 4t65e-HD (automatic) that can be found bolted to that motor.

If I can manage to find a nice 88 with a working transmission I think i will give it a whirl. Worst come to worst it breaks and I can buy a f23/f40. I'll just make the motor mounts, I was a machinist prior to being a programmer. As for headers, I think that is beyond capabilities. I'll just buy a set of headers and then make the exhaust around that.

Other than that, I think my build seems pretty complete. Thanks for the suggestion!
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock