3800 gurus by Shill
Started on: 09-17-2013 06:59 PM
Replies: 9 (317 views)
Last post by: aaronkoch on 09-19-2013 09:36 AM
Shill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had some thoughts recently about a 3800 NA W/ ITB's. Anyone done this before and have some numbers compared to the factory SC engines with let's say a 3" pulley and proper cooling?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the intake isn't much of a problem with a 3800 I would think the gains wouldn't be that impressive, also I don't know how something like that would even be tuned, might be outside of the limitation of the 3800 PCM. The intercooled 3.0" SC would definitely be faster by a long shot.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

Since the intake isn't much of a problem with a 3800 I would think the gains wouldn't be that impressive, also I don't know how something like that would even be tuned, might be outside of the limitation of the 3800 PCM. The intercooled 3.0" SC would definitely be faster by a long shot.

alpha N mode would work ok. Tuning it is not particularly easy to do because most of the alpha n tables are missing... but it would run fine. I helped a camaro guy use alpha n before.
Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After some research, seems if I want itbs an ls1 is much cheaper with better results
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I may ask the obvious question, WHY do you want ITB's? There really isn't any advantage to having them, and SO MANY disadvantages to having them.

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shill:

After some research, seems if I want itbs an ls1 is much cheaper with better results

lololololol

How did you determine it was "much cheaper" to setup more throttle bodies on a v8 than a V6? How did you determine that they would produce "better results"?

LOL
Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

If I may ask the obvious question, WHY do you want ITB's? There really isn't any advantage to having them, and SO MANY disadvantages to having them.

Please tell me you would not be excited to see that in the back of your fiero.
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

lololololol

How did you determine it was "much cheaper" to setup more throttle bodies on a v8 than a V6? How did you determine that they would produce "better results"?

LOL

You'd have equal runner lengths, equal plenum volumes, etc. The downside is that plenums and runners are usually tuned to a specific bandwidth, so it may run worse at lower speeds than a single throttle body setup. Plus, you have to "sync" them, each tb/cylinder should pull the same amount of vacuum as the others.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shill:

Please tell me you would not be excited to see that in the back of your fiero.

It may look all cool and complicated to some but it would still be slow as **** .

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, it looks cool, but then it rains and your motor hydro-locks. Or, you forget to cover your car and a dust storm rolls through, game over. Or you have a really awesome looking paper weight because you can't ever get it running right.

The risk/reward number is too high for my blood.

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock