will 87 headlight motors work in an 86? by northstar
Started on: 09-14-2013 12:02 PM
Replies: 6 (290 views)
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 09-14-2013 06:47 PM
northstar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-14-2013 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northstarSend a Private Message to northstarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ive heard of people doin this what all do I need and how hard is it to do??ALSO WILL MY DRIVER SIDE HEADLIGHT MOTOR FIT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE.. I HAVE AND 86 AND 2 PASSENGER SIDE MOTORS AND ONE BAD DRIVER SIDE ,,ARE THEY INTERCHANGEABLE??

[This message has been edited by northstar (edited 09-14-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need the complete wire harness from the 87 and the shorter bolts from the 87 to mount the motors to the buckets. There is a great how to in the FAQ section that will guide you thru the change. It is worth the time and effort !
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

follow links at bottom

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

northstar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-14-2013 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northstarSend a Private Message to northstarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the reply if it were as easy as just switching a few things I would but not that motivated,,will the passenger side motor on an 86 fit the driver side or are they side specific? thanks
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I know, there isn't a way to swap the motors over, they are side specific. I did the Gen 1 to Gen 2 swap about a month ago, and it took me a couple of hours tops. There was nothing really difficult about it, on a scale of 1 -10 on difficulty I would rate it a 3. Check this link here, it has a really good writeup on how to do the swap. The toughest part for me was taking the hood off without a helper (And trust me, you do want to take the hood off).

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-071514.html

If you don't want to swap the harness, here's a good article on how to convert a Gen 1 harness to work with Gen 2 motors.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-2-087182.html

I'd highly recommend getting rid of your Gen 1 motors. Gen 2 are faster, quieter, easier to work on and more reliable.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 09-14-2013).]

rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

As far as I know, there isn't a way to swap the motors over, they are side specific. I did the Gen 1 to Gen 2 swap about a month ago, and it took me a couple of hours tops. There was nothing really difficult about it, on a scale of 1 -10 on difficulty I would rate it a 3. Check this link here, it has a really good writeup on how to do the swap. The toughest part for me was taking the hood off without a helper (And trust me, you do want to take the hood off).

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-071514.html

If you don't want to swap the harness, here's a good article on how to convert a Gen 1 harness to work with Gen 2 motors.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-2-087182.html

I'd highly recommend getting rid of your Gen 1 motors. Gen 2 are faster, quieter, easier to work on and more reliable.

Agree totally. But my father and I didn't bother taking the hood off lol
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You got to have everything,wireing harness (one or two screws hold that on at the firewall).Motors and brackets.Basically everything.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock